Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to drive efficiently off-highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Prius groups this is referred to as gliding. Coasting is foot off the accelerator pedal and regen happens (just not as strongly as in the Model S).
As I understand it, Prius does regen on the brake pedal. As such, the terminology is likely not useful in discussing the Model S.

OTOH, established Roadster terminology would be interesting to hear more about.

Last edited:
As I understand it, Prius does regen on the break pedal.

The Prius also regens on the brake pedal. There is regen on the accelerator pedal as well (it's just rather weak), but the idea that there is a point on the accelerator pedal where there is no regen and no acceleration is exactly the same as in the Model S. The meaning of glide would be exactly the same.

Is the ability to "glide" limited to a certain speed as in the Prius , or can you do it at any speed in the S?

You can glide at any speed in the Prius, but the instrumentation, which is rather poor, only tells you when you're gliding at 41 mph or less. Over 41 mph you have to rely on an educated foot. You can tell if your foot is educated when the the speed transitions from over 41 mph to under 40 mph because the Energy display will show no arrows going anywhere after you get to the lower speeds. (You don't move your foot at all during the glide process). Note that this is for the 2004-2009 only. The display is different on both the 2001-2003 and 2010+ cars.

The reason for this is that the engine will spin at speeds over 41 mph to prevent MG1 (the smaller MG) from over-revving. This causes the Energy display to show a yellow arrow going from the battery even if you are gliding. (There are a number of places where the display lies. I get around it by using a ScangaugeII).

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but when you mention "coasting" (not in Neutral) on the MS do you mean just lightly pressing the accelerator pedal to maintain a constant speed, rather than completely releasing the pedal which causes regen to kick in? Why is this considered coasting -- doesn't using the pedal drain a bit of energy from the battery or is your point that it drains less energy than slowing via regen then accelerating again? (As an EV newbie, I'm used to "coasting" meaning completely releasing the gas pedal.)
Let me try a simpler answer than some above: "coasting" in a Model S is when you are neither injecting nor regenning power into the drivertrain. When you are coasting, the power indicator on the central dash display is not visible, or only slightly orange or green. To achieve this, you will need to be depressing the accelerator; the trick is finding the right spot to get a neutral power flow.

We all know this graph, which says that the most efficient speed is around 20mph.
And we also know that it's best to accelerate gently, but surely there's such a thing as accelerating too slowly, right?
Wouldn't it be more efficient to quickly get up to cruising speed rather than spending a very long time getting there?
I imagine this effect is even more pronounced when starting from a stop at the bottom of a hill.
What's the optimum rate of acceleration (without me doing a ton of math)?

graph1.jpg

We all know this graph, which says that the most efficient speed is around 20mph.
And we also know that it's best to accelerate gently, but surely there's such a thing as accelerating too slowly, right?

My attempts at finding the sweet spot seem to have settled somewhere between 30-40 kW for acceleration.