Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent rear passenger side hub/axle after spinning off track in MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on what you need. Control arms don't take a long time to install. The parts are going to be the bigger cost depending on how much you want to spend there. Would be advisable to get an alignment afterwards.

"Advisable" is one way to put it... :D

I'd honestly just say "required". Any time you do suspension work you need an alignment.

Some people cheap out and in some cases it may not be required. For example, basically putting in some camber shims from Macsboost for my S and following their instructions, all I basically did was adjust the camber.

I figured why not make sure the toe is right while I am at it so had the complete alignment done. In reality it was good enough to be within Tesla spec but not optimal.

Unfortunately insurance companies have wised up to this some time ago, they now have a clause that says no coverage is extended to any racing surface regardless of timing or not. I used to carry track specific insurance on my 911 when I tracked it

here is the specific policy exclusion from my regular state farm auto policy:
View attachment 944252
That's similar language my insurance agent showed me on my policy. But he's sending my information to an adjuster to review. The way I read it, high performance driving school doesn't seem to be excluded since it's not racing or practicing for a contest. I guess ultimately they will decide if I'm covered or not, and I'm not expecting to be covered. Doesn't hurt to verify though.

That's similar language my insurance agent showed me on my policy. But he's sending my information to an adjuster to review. The way I read it, high performance driving school doesn't seem to be excluded since it's not racing or practicing for a contest. I guess ultimately they will decide if I'm covered or not, and I'm not expecting to be covered. Doesn't hurt to verify though.
part B is that gets you, see the end of A which says OR and then B that says in effect high speed driving on a surface primarily used for racing. hope you are covered but thats not what i was advised by my agent

My general rule of thumb is I don't turn in anything to the insurance company unless it is going to be at least 5k out of pocket. The bump in your rates, due to having an at fault accident, will often cost you more than that in increased premiums. Unless there is something major, and too early to tell, I wouldn't turn it in.

Keep in mind, that even if you contact your insurance company, as long as they don't do anything, there isn't typically any mark against you but likely they will put it as an incident against your VIN. That last part seems to vary by insurance company. So I'd suggest getting them to write an estimate and see where it lands and factor in your deductible. Keep in mind they likely won't cover your Martian wheels unless you had specific coverage for them for example $XXX of additional accessory coverage but they should reimburse you the cost of a factory wheel.

Reactions: gx9901
My general rule of thumb is I don't turn in anything to the insurance company unless it is going to be at least 5k out of pocket. The bump in your rates, due to having an at fault accident, will often cost you more than that in increased premiums. Unless there is something major, and too early to tell, I wouldn't turn it in.

Keep in mind, that even if you contact your insurance company, as long as they don't do anything, there isn't typically any mark against you but likely they will put it as an incident against your VIN. That last part seems to vary by insurance company. So I'd suggest getting them to write an estimate and see where it lands and factor in your deductible. Keep in mind they likely won't cover your Martian wheels unless you had specific coverage for them for example $XXX of additional accessory coverage but they should reimburse you the cost of a factory wheel.
Yeah, I'm prepared to pay out of pocket. Would be good if it is under $5k to repair the damage. I guess I'll just have to wait to see how it plays out with insurance/cost/etc.

Tribulation aside, how did you do on the track? Experience you would do again?
I’ve driven on that track 4 times last year, so I was actually pretty familiar with it and I’ve always had a lot of fun driving on it. So I would definitely want to go back. I was really looking forward to using Track Mode on an actual track too. But apparently I’m not a good enough driver to take much advantage of it.😩

The curve I spun out on always gave me some trouble as I had a hard time getting through it at a good speed. I usually felt like I had to apply too much brake to feel comfortable. I think I was pushing it a little too much that time and having the handling bias dialed 40/60 probably didn’t help as I turned in too fast. Again, pretty disappointed in myself that I didn’t even attempt to counter steer and I think I made a mistake with the accelerator. Hopefully I have learned from this incident.

Reactions: Yelobird
I received an estimate from Tesla via the app and it's $490 based on my pictures and description. I really doubt it's going to end up being this low, but if it end up being anywhere near this I'd be real happy. Hell, I wouldn't have been shocked to see $4,900 on that estimate.

I also did contact insurance to see if I'm covered in this situation and the lady working on my claim said it probably isn't covered, but she was going to check with some supervisor about it and let me know. I haven't heard back the last couple of days. Hopefully it'll be a moot point.

• Helpful
Reactions: TomB985 and Tha_Ape
Great to hear. Hope it is that low. Obviously it goes without saying to pay for this out of pocket.

Any damage to the rims?
I plan to take the rims to a wheel repair shop to get checked out. Only one of them have visible scratch damage, but it's pretty extensive all around the outer rim. Hopefully no structural damage and the scratched up one can be repaired.

I still think the estimate is too low, but at least it's a good starting point. Hoping for the best I guess.

I received an estimate from Tesla via the app and it's $490 based on my pictures and description. I really doubt it's going to end up being this low, but if it end up being anywhere near this I'd be real happy. Hell, I wouldn't have been shocked to see $4,900 on that estimate.

I also did contact insurance to see if I'm covered in this situation and the lady working on my claim said it probably isn't covered, but she was going to check with some supervisor about it and let me know. I haven't heard back the last couple of days. Hopefully it'll be a moot point.
Oh man, I hope it is only $490, that would be super cheap!

Oh man, I hope it is only $490, that would be super cheap!

Sounds cheap but it could just a rear trailing arm. They will swap it out in minutes. I doubt it's an expensive part new from Tesla. eBay has them cheap used.

Have you inspected it yourself yet? If you swapped the wheels out, surely you can look at the suspension and identify some bent or broken parts. You could always start with replacing the bent broken arms, get an alignment, and then see how it drives.

Please share pics if you do inspect.

I had a similar off course excursion in my 3, and feared this exact thing happening. Thankfully (?), it was into a mud pit so the earth gave way instead of my suspension.

Have you inspected it yourself yet? If you swapped the wheels out, surely you can look at the suspension and identify some bent or broken parts. You could always start with replacing the bent broken arms, get an alignment, and then see how it drives.

Please share pics if you do inspect.

I had a similar off course excursion in my 3, and feared this exact thing happening. Thankfully (?), it was into a mud pit so the earth gave way instead of my suspension.
I had each wheel off to put back the Uberturbines, but I didn't know what I was looking at so I couldn't tell what was bent other than some broken plastic and linings in the wheel well. I might take off the crooked wheel this weekend and see if I could see anything on the control arms if I have time.

I had each wheel off to put back the Uberturbines, but I didn't know what I was looking at so I couldn't tell what was bent other than some broken plastic and linings in the wheel well. I might take off the crooked wheel this weekend and see if I could see anything on the control arms if I have time.

The rear suspension is really easy to work on. If you are tracking the car you can fix it yourself for less or you can get some upgrades.

You might want to avoid Tesla service for this so they don't have you in their records as a collision repair. It could cause warranty or resale issues down the road. Maybe

Reactions: Bart404
The rear suspension is really easy to work on. If you are tracking the car you can fix it yourself for less or you can get some upgrades.

You might want to avoid Tesla service for this so they don't have you in their records as a collision repair. It could cause warranty or resale issues down the road. Maybe
Unfortunately I have no experience working on suspension, so I don’t have much of a choice. I’m planning on keeping the car for a long time and am only about 10k miles before warranty runs out, which will probably happen by the end of the year, so I’m not too worried about that. I also got rear ended a month after taking delivery, so my resale value is already out the window anyway. 🤪