Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent rear passenger side hub/axle after spinning off track in MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gx9901

Aug 1, 2021
St Paul, MN
So I took my MYP to an HPDE this weekend and on one of the higher speed left curves my rear end slid toward the right and I spun out off the track to the left. I think I either panicked a little bit or didn’t have enough time to react to try to counter steer out of it. I was using Track Mode dialed to 40/60 with stability at 0. My mistake was probably keeping my foot on the accelerated pedal thinking it would pull the car out of the curve while having the handling bias dialed toward the back. I also think I went into the curve too fast. Bad job of driving by me for sure.

Anyway, the car slid into some rough dirt and weeds field and both of the passenger side tires blew out, with the rear tire displaced toward the inside of the wheel and the rim was scraped all around. I got the car towed home and put on the stock wheels which confirmed that the rear passenger side wheel hub or axle is bent. I’m attaching some pictures below.

I’ve got a Tesla service setup about 2 weeks out. I was wondering if anyone know what something like this would roughly cost to repair? Since it happened at an HPDE, I don’t think insurance will cover it so I’m hoping to get an idea about costs before my SC appointment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg
IMG_1650.jpeg

That sucks. Don't feel too bad, that's why you go to HPDEs, to learn how to drive your car better.

I was planning on doing the same shortly then learned the tracks by me are banning EVs due to a lack of appropriate fire control equipment at the tracks.

This won't help now, but there are ways to get track insurance (I've never done it as in the past I drove cheaper cars).

Please keep us in the loop on how this all works out.

Reactions: gx9901
Before you assume, if it's not a timed event there's a decent chance insurance will cover it, you'll have to see your specific policy which may vary by state, simply driving on a private road is usually covered.

That sucks. Don't feel too bad, that's why you go to HPDEs, to learn how to drive your car better.

I was planning on doing the same shortly then learned the tracks by me are banning EVs due to a lack of appropriate fire control equipment at the tracks.

This won't help now, but there are ways to get track insurance (I've never done it as in the past I drove cheaper cars).

Please keep us in the loop on how this all works out.
Thanks man. I do feel embarrassed since I’ve driven on this track several times last year and have learned about car control from the staff many times. I guess I was surprised and froze for a bit. I will update here for future reference for sure.

Before you assume, if it's not a timed event there's a decent chance insurance will cover it, you'll have to see your specific policy which may vary by state, simply driving on a private road is usually covered.
Yeah, I plan to ask my insurance agent about it. He’s an independent agent so hopefully he can give me some honest advice about it. I’m thinking if it’s say a few thousand bucks I’ll just eat it (may have to anyway if not covered). That’s why I’m a little anxious to see how much it’ll cost.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Most important thing you didn't have any issues. Thankfully EVs have a low CG which reduces risk of rolling especially since the MY is fairly tall.

I would have a body shop give you an estimate. It might be worth paying out of your pocket vs. the 1k deductible and your rates jacked for years unless. you have accident forgiveness. Hopefully all you hurt was the axle and no part of the chassis.

Most important thing you didn't have any issues. Thankfully EVs have a low CG which reduces risk of rolling especially since the MY is fairly tall.

I would have a body shop give you an estimate. It might be worth paying out of your pocket vs. the 1k deductible and your rates jacked for years unless. you have accident forgiveness. Hopefully all you hurt was the axle and no part of the chassis.
So a body shop could do this type of work? I assume it would still have to be Tesla certified shop to be able to get parts right?

The problem is I think I would need to get the car towed over for an estimate unless they can do it off pictures somehow. Not sure if it makes sense to tow the car to a few different places. Based on prior experience, the local Tesla certified body shop is pretty busy. Maybe I'll look into it.

Check out Raymond's. They do good work. It is right by the zoo. You might be able to get someone out from there or LaMettry's. I think Raymond's is better since LaMettry's has gotten so big.

Do you have the stock wheels? Slap them on and maybe it is drivable if not a far distance assuming you can't get anyone to come take a look. AAA can also tow it for you.

Check out Raymond's. They do good work. It is right by the zoo. You might be able to get someone out from there or LaMettry's. I think Raymond's is better since LaMettry's has gotten so big.

Do you have the stock wheels? Slap them on and maybe it is drivable if not a far distance assuming you can't get anyone to come take a look. AAA can also tow it for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. I used LaMettry's before and they were OK, but could have been better. I could try Raymond's and see what they could do as far as an estimate. I did put on the stock wheels and tried driving it in front of our house, but I would not want to move it any more than onto a flatbed.

So it sounds like you think collision shop is the way to go for this versus sending it to Tesla SC?

I have to say my experience with 3rd party approved Tesla repair shops has been better than with Tesla themselves for body work. Tesla doesn't seem to give a rat's butt about you. The 3rd party ones seem to actually care about your as a customer. I'd try and get at least 2 estimates in case one of them clearly missed something. Keep in mind parts may take far longer than you anticipate to get it fixed... Think in terms of months, not weeks, when it comes to Tesla if anything major.

I have to say my experience with 3rd party approved Tesla repair shops has been better than with Tesla themselves for body work. Tesla doesn't seem to give a rat's butt about you. The 3rd party ones seem to actually care about your as a customer. I'd try and get at least 2 estimates in case one of them clearly missed something. Keep in mind parts may take far longer than you anticipate to get it fixed... Think in terms of months, not weeks, when it comes to Tesla if anything major.
Yeah, I'm bracing for months for sure. Just hoping that it's not more serious than some bent parts around the hub/axle area.

So I took my MYP to an HPDE this weekend and on one of the higher speed left curves my rear end slid toward the right and I spun out off the track to the left. I think I either panicked a little bit or didn’t have enough time to react to try to counter steer out of it. I was using Track Mode dialed to 40/60 with stability at 0. My mistake was probably keeping my foot on the accelerated pedal thinking it would pull the car out of the curve while having the handling bias dialed toward the back. I also think I went into the curve too fast. Bad job of driving by me for sure.

Anyway, the car slid into some rough dirt and weeds field and both of the passenger side tires blew out, with the rear tire displaced toward the inside of the wheel and the rim was scraped all around. I got the car towed home and put on the stock wheels which confirmed that the rear passenger side wheel hub or axle is bent. I’m attaching some pictures below.

I’ve got a Tesla service setup about 2 weeks out. I was wondering if anyone know what something like this would roughly cost to repair? Since it happened at an HPDE, I don’t think insurance will cover it so I’m hoping to get an idea about costs before my SC appointment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

View attachment 943887View attachment 943888View attachment 943889View attachment 943890
What rims are these?

Unlikely the hub is bent. Most likely one or more control arms are bent. They are easy to replace and aren't that expensive to buy. There are also aftermarket ones available now which offer more adjustment for toe and camber so maybe it's a good excuse to upgrade to those and get your alignment spot on once the repairs are done (stock camber arms aren't adjustable and limited adjustment on stock toe arms).

Could have been a lot worse so don't punish yourself too much ;)

Reactions: Scubamikey
Unlikely the hub is bent. Most likely one or more control arms are bent. They are easy to replace and aren't that expensive to buy. There are also aftermarket ones available now which offer more adjustment for toe and camber so maybe it's a good excuse to upgrade to those and get your alignment spot on once the repairs are done (stock camber arms aren't adjustable and limited adjustment on stock toe arms).

Could have been a lot worse so don't punish yourself too much ;)
Thanks! I appreciate the information. The body shop guy looked at some pictures and thought it was probably bent control arms, so hopefully you guys are correct and it's not insane to repair. 😩

I just found the guy I used before. Go see this guy; Jeff Forss. He is awesome and can help you out a lot better than Tesla will. Buy the MPP or UP parts and have him take care of it.

His prices are fair and his work is excellent. In other words a great value.

I just found the guy I used before. Go see this guy; Jeff Forss. He is awesome and can help you out a lot better than Tesla will. Buy the MPP or UP parts and have him take care of it.

His prices are fair and his work is excellent. In other words a great value.
Thanks for the information. If I do go with changing the suspension components, wouldn't I have to do it at all 4 corners?

I guess I have some time to look into it and think it over.

Thanks for the information. If I do go with changing the suspension components, wouldn't I have to do it at all 4 corners?

I guess I have some time to look into it and think it over.
You don't have to do all 4, but you could do just the rear control arms for example.

Jeff is awesome to work with but a bit of a perfectionist at times. I like that for suspension work.

Yeah, I plan to ask my insurance agent about it. He’s an independent agent so hopefully he can give me some honest advice about it. I’m thinking if it’s say a few thousand bucks I’ll just eat it (may have to anyway if not covered). That’s why I’m a little anxious to see how much it’ll cost.

Unfortunately insurance companies have wised up to this some time ago, they now have a clause that says no coverage is extended to any racing surface regardless of timing or not. I used to carry track specific insurance on my 911 when I tracked it

here is the specific policy exclusion from my regular state farm auto policy:
Untitled.jpg

Last edited: