Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been keeping an eye on local inventory over the last week or so

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was previously not necessarily in the market for a new Y, but I thought that with the $7,500 “price adjustment” it might be in my best interests to upgrade to a 2 year newer vehicle with the much better suspension. Refreshing many times a day there was never more than 1 or 2 at a time in the CLT market, and they’ve disappeared almost as soon as they’ve appeared. Never pulled the trigger because I was really looking for a P and didn’t see even one of those all week. Now that it’s after business hours on 12/31, and too late to take delivery before the end of the year, there are all of a sudden 11 vehicles available within 200 miles of my zip. Shenanigans.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
So 11 people within 200 miles of you had a sale fall through for whatever reason, financing, vehicle not making it to the designated SC, etc. Doesn't seem crazy to me.
Like I said I’ve been tracking it several times a day and have never seen more than 2 at any time within 200 miles of my zip; even most of today. However, after close of business today a large number of vehicles became available.

Used Tesla prices about to take a major dump according to my buddy that's a Carmax manager. I bought last Thursday and he said get ready for used Model 3 for $25K and Y's for $35K. Market is flooded with Tesla's right now.

Don't shoot the messenger.

That certainly makes sense. With the tax credit price caps being applied stupidly at the moment the surge of "qualified for the tax credit" orders may not happen and Tesla seems mostly caught up on backlog. That means the conditions that created this crazy used car market are subsiding and prices will move accordingly.

Reactions: RedSupraT
Used Tesla prices about to take a major dump according to my buddy that's a Carmax manager. I bought last Thursday and he said get ready for used Model 3 for $25K and Y's for $35K. Market is flooded with Tesla's right now.

Don't shoot the messenger.
You’re talking to a friend that works for a company that was paying More for used cars then the price of a new car off the line lol. They are taking a bath on Stupid business decision, his advice is of little value.

You’re talking to a friend that works for a company that was paying More for used cars then the price of a new car off the line lol. They are taking a bath on Stupid business decision, his advice is of little value.
I'm very happy with my MYP. Just relaying what he said. Expect prices to drop but I think this is going to apply to ALL used cars.

Right, "Tesla's MO" definitely wouldn't involve pushing right up to the wire to close the year as strongly as possible... Instead you think it would fit their MO to just sit on cars...
They instituted the “price adjustment” to prevent those who already had reservations, and were anticipating a 2023 tax credit, from refusing delivery. They likely had a goal number of units established and sought to meet that number through reservations before allowing walkup orders to take advantage of the discount. They probably have a model to tell them how many Q4 orders at lower margin they can sell before they start cannibalizing Q1 revenue. It’s not really bad faith; I just wish the sales associate that I spoke to when I physically went to the SC to inquire about a vehicle had some knowledge about the corporate strategy and hadn’t advised my to spend time checking multiple times a day. That’s what I think; but hell what do I know.

I'm very happy with my MYP. Just relaying what he said. Expect prices to drop but I think this is going to apply to ALL used cars.
No question ALL used cars with the help of the economy will finally stabilize to normal values. For close to a year you could sell your car for More then you paid for it. That was irrational from every view. Hopefully with Tesla catching up on lead times most of the flippers will get crushed and values will normalize.

Lol. They build over 10k cars a month in the US. Do you really think they only ship 1 day a month? You made a last minute decision and missed it. Happens. Not sure it was a Tesla conspiracy to tweak you.
No; I think at some point this week a decision was made to hold back vehicles that were refused, or had missed delivery appointments, until the discount expired.

LOL or whatever you’re supposed to write when you’re trying to be cute.

Went by our local SC on the 23rd and I've never seen so many cars on that property. Lot seemed full to bursting and they were still unloading 2 carrier trucks as I went by. Not sure if they were all spoken for 2022 delivery but it was remarkable to see 3-4 times their usual onsite inventory. Lots of companies play games at end of quarter. Might have just been a huge production push to count the cars as "sold", "shipped", or whatever it takes to impress Wall Street analists.

Went by our local SC on the 23rd and I've never seen so many cars on that property. Lot seemed full to bursting and they were still unloading 2 carrier trucks as I went by. Not sure if they were all spoken for 2022 delivery but it was remarkable to see 3-4 times their usual onsite inventory. Lots of companies play games at end of quarter. Might have just been a huge production push to count the cars as "sold", "shipped", or whatever it takes to impress Wall Street analists.
I was at my local SC on that same day and it was also packed out. I had to wait for a spot to park and when I left I had to ask someone to move a model S that had been double parked behind me. In spite of all of the vehicles there wasn’t a single model Y or 3 that was shown as in inventory at that location; all of the vehicles on hand were already waiting for delivery.

The incentives will make the new ones more affordable but look. There is already an over supply of used Tesla. The incentives, high interest rates, accellerating repos, economic conditions, etc will all work to drive resale value of Tesla down hard. The first sign of what is to come is wholesale prices. What are folks being offered on trade for their late model Teslas? Retail prices coming down will be delayed by several months. Many dealers have switched to turning newer inventory rather than to lower and take a loss on the cars they overpaid for. When Carvana finally goes belly up things will get even worse. My speculation for whatever its worth.

What would you do if you were the bank financing these flooring plans? Expect a lot more dealers to go under when the finance company asks for a huge payment and the dealers can't do it.

Also, is this the vehicle that was previously only available to Austin employees? I've never seen it listed in my market.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230102_085457_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230102_085457_Chrome.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 212
Also, is this the vehicle that was previously only available to Austin employees? I've never seen it listed in my market.
Yes that is a 4680 MY AWD from Austin. They are sold to customers sometimes when they just randomly pop up in Inventory. Typically they popped up in Texas and Florida inventory. They seemed to pop up more often back when they first started making them and I've read less and less about them showing up over the past few months.