Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery usage when carrying 4 heavy people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be more worried about exceeded the gross vehicle weight. You will find the maximum vehicle occupant and cargo weight printed on the yellow sticker inside front passenger door return. It may well be exceeded with 4 heavy people and even light luggage. Not really sure what consequences are, but wouldn't want to be in an accident blamed on overloading the vehicle.

No idea why the weight limit is so low.Tyre loadings on paper would have plenty of spare for a 100kg extra or more.

1/2mv^2 its realy not gpoing to make a big difference. what does is your speed. just drive slower
I was going to say the same thing + Maybe they will help to keep the cabin warm and thus reduce the heating KW's :)

There might be an argument for increasing the tyre pressures though to compensate for the additional weight to minimise any increase in rolling resistance, especially if we are talking motorway driving.

If it’s a motorway/constant-ish speed journey - drag’s also proportional to speed squared - and the 4 heavies won’t make a jot of difference to that (may lower your suspension to make things sportier?!).

Hadn’t done it until just now - but square 65, then 85, ignoring units to demonstrate to yourself. I might not be in the fast lane much on long-hauls anymore.

The carrying weight constraint on M3: off to look it up - but started me thinking about different elements of car - i.e Hold mode vs gravity; momentum vs motor. Can’t see anything there though, as I understand torque is good on these cars. Mentioning in case anyone else can see something in that vein...

Reading around - the structures of the boot/frunk may be in play in the calculation. Lots of talk in other places of high loading though (albeit, I take on board the insurance implications). Even then people were impressed with acceleration/braking - so that might be the wrong lead.

Pinching from another’s posting:

Caution: To avoid damage, never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130
kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage.

Page 149: Do not exceed the maximum front trunk load weight of 55 lbs (25 kg).”

Boot: something to do with a honeycomb upper/lower divider you have to take care over.