Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement - future focused question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, the cost of replacing the battery for an EV is so high that it does not seem practical to do. Does anyone know if there is research or technology in development that will in the near future make it less costly and more practical to replace the battery in a Tesla as it ages? If so, how far off do we think we are from that day? I am curious because I didn’t know if that is an avenue Tesla is investigating or not. Thank you.

Currently, the cost of replacing the battery for an EV is so high that it does not seem practical to do. Does anyone know if there is research or technology in development that will in the near future make it less costly and more practical to replace the battery in a Tesla as it ages? If so, how far off do we think we are from that day? I am curious because I didn’t know if that is an avenue Tesla is investigating or not. Thank you.
Actually, the trend is going in the other direction if anything. Replacing a structural battery pack would probably be much harder than replacing an original Model S pack that was designed to be dropped out and replaced.

On the other hand, the battery industry is making cells that last longer and longer, so you won't need to replace the pack as soon for newer Teslas.

Reactions: zoomer0056
First and foremost, it’s never going to be “cheap” to replace a battery because it’s the single most expensive component of the car and therefore is going to be expensive to replace no matter what.

Also given the size and weight of battery packs, it’s very expensive to transport and handle, which adds to the cost of replacement.

There are already companies that can replace batteries with a used/refurbished pack or even upgraded packs (@wk057). These services should get cheaper and more abundant as times goes on.

There are businesses already that can take apart hybrid batteries to remove dead cells/modules and put them back together with ones that work. That could be another avenue to prolong lifespan of EV batteries without completely replacing the whole pack.

Tesla doesn’t (nor does any other automaker) care about the replacement cost of the battery after warranty is over. They would just rather you get a new car.

Currently batteries have an 8 year warranty and data seems to show they should last longer than that on the newer cars. It seems only the early years of Model S have been showing significant signs of degradation and failure, but of course time will tell.

Another thing to consider is that by the time the battery fails in 10-15+ years, the car is likely going to be pretty obsolete technologically and worn out mechanically. Not to advocate for a throwaway car, but it would probably make more sense to replace the car with a new one and let the old battery get recycled by the time the battery fails.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Does anyone know if there is research or technology in development that will in the near future make it less costly and more practical to replace the battery in a Tesla as it ages?
Yes, it's actually been around for quite some time now. It's called "capitalism" and should there become a market demand for replacement batteries for Teslas, you can bet the market will rise to meet the demand.

The reality is, most battery failures that currently happen, happen within Tesla's 8 year/120,000 mi warranty. The salvage market probably has a sufficient supply of batteries to serve out of warranty failures.

Tesla projects batteries should last somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000 miles. At that point, there is probably sufficient age, wear and tear on the vehicle that is should just be scrapped.

@Captain78

First of all, just about all EV’s have an 8 year warranty for the battery pack. New car buyers can keep the car 3-6 years and sell it with the warranty still in force. It is reasonable to expect 10-15 years life from modern EV batteries, but always be prepared for a failure one day after the warranty expires. 😀 Mileage should not affect battery life, except for very high milage cars with 300,000-500,000 miles.

You do need to select an EV with a well designed pack. Nissan Leaf packs have no active cooling system, and they are prone to early failure, espically in hot climates. Early Tesla Model S packs had issues with corrosion allowing water into the pack, which damaged the circuit boards. That forced early pack replacements even though the cells were still good.

When it does come time to replace the pack, it might make sense despite the cost. If the car has been well maintained over the years, it can have a good second life with a new pack. Tesla has been able to reduce pricing for replacement packs over the years. IIRC it cost over $40k in 2013 for a Model S ”85 kWh” pack. In 2021 it cost $24k, and it was reduced fruther to $16k last year. I think I saw $12k this year, IIRC.

Hopefully, when my 2018 M3 needs a new ”82 kWh” pack in 2028-33 the cost will be $8k or less. Anyone buying a new Tesla today with the intent of keeping it for 15 years or more could reasonably expect to pay ”only” $4k in 2038. Even if the cost ends up higher, 2038 seems pretty far away to me.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
The Tesla warranty is reassuring, but what has to be considered is the following case, where an IONIQ 5 sustained what appears to have been very minor damage to the protection plate, but the dealer immediately declared the warranty void, declared a replacement battery would cost $60K, and the owner had to bring in his insurer who declared the vehicle a total loss: