Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range - 3 years in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our Model S for almost exactly 3 years, and the Tesla battery pack is holding up very well. We have one of the first Model S delivered in central Florida. We have the 85 (larger battery pack), and our loss in range in 3 years of ownership in daily charging to 90% is 1%. Yes - you read that correctly - after 3 years of ownership, our battery pack is still charging to 99% of its original capacity. This statistic is also true for the rare times we charge to 100% for trips - we are still achieving 99% of our original charge range.

We are averaging just over 10,000 miles a year, and we will reach the 3 year mark the ninth of February, 2016.

Very pleased so far. :biggrin:

Last edited:
that's great, though I have no idea how you can calculate to the 0.01% mark given the non-specificity of the range meter. That's surprisingly good, most of the rest of us at 3 years are seeing much more range loss than that. I started at 242 miles 90% and am now seeing around 225 miles for the 90%--albeit there have been a number of firmware updates that factor into the rated range as well.

Funny thing is that the software updates did not really change my range. My original 90% charge was 235-236. With updates, I was able to observe the estimated range stay essentially the same pre and post updates. I am now seeing 232 - 233 miles for a 90% charge after owning it for almost 3 years, and that is pretty consistent on what I see in actual mileage. Same holds true for the trip charges of 100% throughout the life of the car so far. Maybe it is just the way I drive, the temperature range which does not have big fluctuations here in central Florida, or my settings on the car. As a point of reference, I also have over 30,000 miles on our 21 inch Michelin Pilots.

I'm happy to hear that your battery pack is holding up well. Although as pointed out above, you're not capable of measuring degradation to anywhere near a hundredth of a percentile given the limited accuracy of the battery charge measurements.

that's great, though I have no idea how you can calculate to the 0.01% mark given the non-specificity of the range meter. That's surprisingly good, most of the rest of us at 3 years are seeing much more range loss than that. I started at 242 miles 90% and am now seeing around 225 miles for the 90%--albeit there have been a number of firmware updates that factor into the rated range as well.

This exactly matches my experience with my 3 year old 2012 model S.

My rated range has already decreased by 12 miles - from 264 to 252 - in less than 9 months of ownership. I charge to 75% or 80% daily, and to 90+% only on road trips (of which I've taken 2). I've used superchargers maybe 10 to 15 times (only on road trips), and charged to 100% maybe 5 or 10 times (also only on road trips). I feel like my usage is pretty conservative, but the range is decreasing much faster than I expected, so I'm getting a bit concerned personally.... Hopefully the degradation levels off soon.

Very likely your battery had a hard reset performed that reset the range numbers.

Service does this to the loaner fleet to keep range numbers up.

If so, that was back on August 9th, 2015 when they put my original battery in my car after it went to Freemont for contractor replacement and a clogged vent. I have since put 5k miles on it. Prior to me getting a loaner battery for a few weeks, I got 239 miles at 90%. They offered to let me keep the loaner battery (it was newer), but it charged to 225 miles at 90%, so I asked for my battery back.

We have had our Model S for almost exactly 3 years, and the Tesla battery pack is holding up very well. We have one of the first Model S delivered in central Florida. We have the 85 (larger battery pack), and our loss in range in 3 years of ownership in daily charging to 90% is .01%. Yes - you read that correctly - after 3 years of ownership, our battery pack is still charging to 99.99% of its original capacity. This statistic is also true for the rare times we charge to 100% for trips - we are still achieving 99.99% of our original charge range.

We are averaging just over 10,000 miles a year, and we will reach the 3 year mark the ninth of February, 2016.

Very pleased so far. :biggrin:

What do you typically charge to? With such great performance I'm guessing you may have a best practice here. 70%, 80% etc.?

Funny thing is that the software updates did not really change my range. My original 90% charge was 235-236. With updates, I was able to observe the estimated range stay essentially the same pre and post updates. I am now seeing 232 - 233 miles for a 90% charge after owning it for almost 3 years, and that is pretty consistent on what I see in actual mileage. Same holds true for the trip charges of 100% throughout the life of the car so far. Maybe it is just the way I drive, the temperature range which does not have big fluctuations here in central Florida, or my settings on the car. As a point of reference, I also have over 30,000 miles on our 21 inch Michelin Pilots.

Your math is off: a loss of three miles of Rated range is about 1%, not the 0.01% you claim in your original post. That's still damn good; just not quite as good as you thought.

It's nice that your analysis shows the pack is holding up so well, but there is physically no possible way you have seen less than a few percent degradation. Something's a little haywire with your range algo (same symptom observed in FlasherZs BMS).

Your math is off: a loss of three miles of Rated range is about 1%, not the 0.01% you claim in your original post. That's still damn good; just not quite as good as you thought.

Steve - you're right. Too much food at the Christmas Party today at lunch today I guess. It is just over 99% now after 3 years (I edited and corrected the first post).

I keep very detailed logs on my cars due to work. Here are the figures to date:

My original 90% charge was 235-236 when new in February 9, 2013.
When observing the updates, I was able to see the estimated range stay essentially the same pre and post updates.
I am now seeing 232 - 233 miles for the same 90% charge in December 2015.

I normally charge to 90% at 240V and 35A every night on a dedicated 50A circuit. Charging is done at 2am in the morning.
I usually charge the car to 100% every 2 - 3 months once even if I am not going on a trip. I do not know if it helps, but I was advised to do this to "even out the charge in the pack" or something like that when I was told by an electrical engineer.
A/C is set to 70 degrees year round. This may go up or down by 2 degrees, but pretty much the same year around.
16 mile commute to work each way.
315Wh/mi average over the past 30,500 miles since the car was new.
Tire pressure set to 48psi and closely monitored.
Wheel Alignment performed every year, with tire rotation every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised to be honest. For 3 years and 30k miles that's exceptionally good. Almost too good to be true. I have kept close records of my battery and could clearly see a gradual drop in range over time/use. My lifetime usage is very close to yours (320 Wh/m). I have twice as many miles, but my car is only half as old. It shows that time alone isn't much of a factor, but mostly use (cycles). My loss is aprox 6-7%.