Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health tracking SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until you are willing to share your BMS data and/or Teslafi data I am not willing to take your word on any numbers.
As mentioned above, @outdoors has shared that his 2017 Model 3 LR RWD with 150k miles has 296 miles of rated range at 100%, which means it has a BMS-estimated capacity of 69.3kWh, using the very well-known 234Wh/rmi constant for that vehicle, which precisely matches the 239Wh/mi position of the rated line in the vehicle (always higher by 5Wh/mi). (When new, this vehicle type had around 78kWh of capacity, and displayed either 310 rated miles or 325 rated miles (depending on the software version), when the vehicle capacity exceeded 76kWh; 76kWh is the degradation threshold for that vehicle; FPWN from SMT readback of pack is 77.8kWh.)

That is mostly sufficient information for the discussion at hand; ~11% loss. (A few more pieces of info would be required to fit that vehicle to @AAKEE's formula, but I doubt there is any interest in doing so. ;) )

Last edited:
My Tesla app now has a specific recommendation of charging percentage in the app (a specific recommended percentage for each car). This is new, and somewhat unexpected, but it is true, as I see it in my Tesla app for both cars (and its a different recommendation for my model 3 vs my wifes model Y as well).
Tesla took the charge recommendation away from the manual and now tell us to look on the cars screen or the mobile app.

This is the new text: (change was dome in the middle of the summer.)
IMG_5025.jpeg

The reason for moving it into the app or car is probably the confusion about which battery the car has, that the owners often had. (This issue “should I charge to 100% or not” has been rather common here and on other forums, Facebook groups etc).
Having the information in the car and mobile only show the specific charging tips for your own car.

The new way, of having it in the app and car only show the “daily limit” when the slider is above the daily limit. It do not show if using any value below.
I am positive that this is ment as a upper limit. (The text above even use the term “limit”)

Before, we had the charging instructions in the manual. This is the old text that was used from the day Tesla introduced the “slider” charge setting.
[Below 90%] must mean any setting below 90%.
IMG_5026.jpeg

Here is a picture from when it was introduced:
IMG_5569.jpeg

Note the text “For daily driving, charge between 50 and 90% for battery longevity”

This notification also came in the same update:
IMG_5027.jpeg

There has not been any very big changes in the batteries for “the best charging level”, specially the old cars that also did get the same 80% notification still has the same battery.

Teslas change to 80% will in the long term reduce the future degradation slightly for the cars that otherwise had been charge to 90% instead of 80%.
This as cycles placed lower in SOC will cause less wear.
Also, calendar aging will be slightly less.

For the known LG batteries, there is only a LG NMC of 74.5kWh and the new LG NCMA with 78.8.
Salesmen at Tesla have not been fed with battery capacity information etc. Some know, but most have rumors as information.

I would call the new battery 76.3kWh from a simple range vs capacity difference. I guess the Model 3 didnt gfet reduced efficiency.
Had a home service call for a minor issue. Tech told me my 08/2023 Model 3 LR AWD battery was an
F3 M5OF LG Battery Pack (BT43)

I’ll leave it to others to decode.

Like I said, I am not really into getting into the weeds on this type of discussion, but I dont think Teslas recommendations for charging are centered soley on "whats best for battery health". They are more about balancing battery health and daily usage.
I have just made my way through many posts on TMC including the "Battery health tracking SS" thread after an abstinence. For this thread, I must confess to be quite shocked by the recent ferocity by several posts which seem to have an ideological opposition to the comments and perspectives of some quite reasoned contributions by several forum members - those who work on facts and avoid opinion. One has to wonder about the affiliations and motives of those vigorous comments (or perhaps their sponsors who knows?), maybe they are just expressing strong opinions? Again, who knows? For my part, over the last couple of years I have enjoyed the discussions and debates which have never (at least until now) seen attempts to suppress them. I learnt a lot from your wealth of knowledge and I sincerely thank you. I really appreciate your savoir faire and humanity. Perhaps I'm mistaken by several comments that seem, to me, to be motivated by outside, or other influences. So what a shame, it should not be necessary to lock out comments. The regular commentators have tried to respond using published facts (but look, that approach often does not work against outside lobbies). They have been challenged by opinion rather than facts. I see it's all gone quiet again. Too bad because I really like to hear all opinions and those who should not be browbeaten into silence by more vocal opposing lobbies, right to free speech of course included.

From all the talk here I've learned how to take care of batteries. This has carried over to my laptop. It's battery will now outlast it's own useful life.
Some laptop manufacturers have built in that control to be able to limit the battery charge to 80% to try to preserve that long term life. I wish more of them would. It's especially helpful for laptops that sit on docking stations most of the day.

Reactions: AAKEE
Some laptop manufacturers have built in that control to be able to limit the battery charge to 80% to try to preserve that long term life. I wish more of them would. It's especially helpful for laptops that sit on docking stations most of the day.

We use HP laptops where I work, and in the past few years a couple of the models we have had batteries that literally started expanding / swelling, because the laptops basically live connected to a docking station and this automatic power charging control was not implemented by HP. They did implement it on later models, but we had to replace a ton of batteries in laptops.

• Love
Reactions: AAKEE and Rocky_H
We use HP laptops where I work, and in the past few years a couple of the models we have had batteries that literally started expanding / swelling, because the laptops basically live connected to a docking station and this automatic power charging control was not implemented by HP.
Literally that exact same thing at my company with our HP laptops--plenty of swollen batteries. They are issuing these with the laptop as the person's only computer, so they bring it home, but also it sits on a docking station all day in the office. My recent replacement is a Dell, but still doesn't have that battery limit control enabled.
They did implement it on later models, but we had to replace a ton of batteries in laptops.
Oh, I didn't know they ever did that.

Literally that exact same thing at my company with our HP laptops--plenty of swollen batteries. They are issuing these with the laptop as the person's only computer, so they bring it home, but also it sits on a docking station all day in the office. My recent replacement is a Dell, but still doesn't have that battery limit control enabled.

Oh, I didn't know they ever did that.

I remember the internal IT communication for us telling us we dont have to worry about leaving them on the docking station anymore and it was resolved, but I never looked at the settings myself. You have me second guessing myself, lol. We probably use the same corporate model HPs (rofl). Ill have to check, now you have me curious.

I remember the internal IT communication for us telling us we dont have to worry about leaving them on the docking station anymore and it was resolved, but I never looked at the settings myself. You have me second guessing myself, lol. We probably use the same corporate model HPs (rofl). Ill have to check, now you have me curious.
You should be able to just check the battery percentage on the lower right screen when the laptop sits there connected to the dock.

You should be able to just check the battery percentage on the lower right screen when the laptop sits there connected to the dock.
But there is no way to actually stop it from charging while it is connected to the docking station, so while it's hooked up to the monitors, keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable, etc. it is still going to charge all the way up to 100% and stay there all day long.

But there is no way to actually stop it from charging while it is connected to the docking station, so while it's hooked up to the monitors, keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable, etc. it is still going to charge all the way up to 100% and stay there all day long.
My recommendation was only to check if the software limits the battery SOC to something below 100%, and it could do that.

I believe most laptops have a BIOS setting that can limit the charge to 80%. Being in BIOS makes it difficult to change ... if you are even able to access your BIOS.

Last edited:
I believe most laptops have a BIOS setting that can limit the charge to 80%. Being in BIOS makes it difficult to change ... if you are even able to access your BIOS.
Yes, it is in the BIOS, but that's why it is up to the manufacturers which BIOS they decide to build with. It's not "most laptops" since the really big high volume brands like HP and Dell didn't have it. It was mostly the smaller ones like Acer and Alienware and such that chose to use BIOS with that function.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@AAKEE - any chance you could do a work up on my battery / predicated degradation, please? Mag date July 2023, MY AWD SR, Dallas TC, parker in garage, charge to 50% most days, charge on level 2 at home, charge mostly over night before I leave home, mileage is 2,765.

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: AAKEE