Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Failure after 9 months and 15k miles: BMS_a029 maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely will need entire battery replaced. MYP noticed degradation from 90% 271 down to 251 in 9 month 15k miles. The warning triangle popped up and no longer charging and I just drove it to SC. Now with the distribution and supply chain woes, this can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. On top of that there‘s a shortage of loaners from Tesla, so they sent me to Enterprise and they won’t have a vehicle until Monday! Fortunately got my electric scooter and Uber credits. I just hope I can Lease a Model S or even a Nissan Leaf. Doesn’t seem like it’s happening to a lot of Ys here. Also on the way home with Uber I saw a Y with a tow truck stuck in the middle of the road 😭.
By the way anyone with battery issues go to SC directly and skip the app so there are no delays.
DA09FE64-94C7-401F-A3EC-D40995AC3278.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The inconvienience is a bummer but a brand new battery is like resetting the odometer to 0. A few weeks honestly isn’t terrible, you could have a Chevy Bolt like me and have to park 50 feet away from everything while waiting for a replacement battery that doesn’t even exist yet. I expect it will be a year or more before I put that car back in the garage.

Was the reduction in range on your Y gradual or sudden?

It was minuscule at first 1 to 2 miles, then all of a sudden a huge increments of 5. I didn’t see it as an issue to contact service since it is guaranteed for 70% battery retention.

it sucks to hear about the Bolt one car I was considering. I had the first gen Leaf and it goes 30 miles max. It’s worth 3k max and battery cost 7k when you can get a newer gen for under 10k.

Looks like around 8% degradation in the first year / 15,000 miles of ownership... that sucks, but is not unheard of. The warning you got is a different warning than you get when you go to a busy SuperCharger that prevents you from charging to 100% right?

Keith

Looks like around 8% degradation in the first year / 15,000 miles of ownership... that sucks, but is not unheard of. The warning you got is a different warning than you get when you go to a busy SuperCharger that prevents you from charging to 100% right?

Keith
This happened at home on a 5-20 charger. I haven’t been to a Supercharger for over a month. I drove it a bit down to about 245 and noticed it didn’t charge at all this time after plugging in at home so just took it direct to SC.

This happened at home on a 5-20 charger. I haven’t been to a Supercharger for over a month. I drove it a bit down to about 245 and noticed it didn’t charge at all this time after plugging in at home so just took it direct to SC.

Thanks for the clarification... look at it this way, you will have a new fresh battery with 15,000 miles less than the car has :)

I am in the same boat as threeputts, If GM doesn't offer me a good buyback on my Bolt, I will end up with a brand new battery (with 8% more capacity and a full battery warranty) on an 80,000 mile Chevy Bolt.

Keith

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Thanks for the clarification... look at it this way, you will have a new fresh battery with 15,000 miles less than the car has :)

I am in the same boat as threeputts, If GM doesn't offer me a good buyback on my Bolt, I will end up with a brand new battery (with 8% more capacity and a full battery warranty) on an 80,000 mile Chevy Bolt.

Keith
For me it’s not worth the downtime of 3 to 4 weeks to get 15k miles if this car is suppose to last up to 300k miles. I hope the warranty is extended another 9 months.

For me it’s not worth the downtime of 3 to 4 weeks to get 15k miles if this car is suppose to last up to 300k miles. I hope the warranty is extended another 9 months.

Can you drive the car in the mean time while waiting for the new pack to come in?

With the Bolt, the range is currently limited to 60% of normal, so the car is marginally useful while we wait for either the buyback (if they offer a good price) or wait much longer for a new pack if they don't offer a good price for the buyback.

Keith

FWIW, my '20LR at 15K miles and 15 months of ownership, and approx 4500 miles of that supercharging, and following the BMS reset procedure, I'm at 8% loss. At 100%, I can charge to 301 miles. About half of my mileage is also highway. Interesting data point is that after the update that change the estimated range to 326 miles, I could only achieve that once with a 100% charge before a long trip, and never passed 316 miles after that (which is what the car originally had as 100% charge). Either way, an 8% loss is more than I expected in the 15 months and 15K miles. I'm personally still suspicious that the only real way a LR MY maintains close to the 326 miles of range is with the 82kWh battery, which is why Tesla moved to that battery size and didn't increase the overall estimated range.

Can you drive the car in the mean time while waiting for the new pack to come in?

With the Bolt, the range is currently limited to 60% of normal, so the car is marginally useful while we wait for either the buyback (if they offer a good price) or wait much longer for a new pack if they don't offer a good price for the buyback.

Keith
I might ask to get it back and try that out, depends on diagnostics tomorrow. I truly don’t want to get an ICE vehicle.

I wished for the universe to give me a Tesla loaner, and they gave me a model S with HW 2.5! Should have asked for a Plaid. :p

Good news I got a model S 75D. Bad news is I’m so used to driving the Y with FSD and I don’t think autopilot even works properly with 2.5 and don’t want to rear end someone to find out. Changing lane is better with the graphics in the middle of the cockpit steering and I can see who is behind me or in my blind spot. I can tell MYP has a much higher pitch whine at WOT, faster and more nimble.

If any of you get a loaner from a 3rd party make sure you insist on getting another Tesla and call in to verify. I beat another Tesla owner to it by calling in and reserving it. Otherwise you will get a Malibu or something.

Also Tesla app shows estimated completion September 20, 11am and it’s 8PM right now stuck at cost estimate. 🤡🥸🤓

Just went to the SC to grab my personal belonging to put in the loaner. I saw a sticker note on my Y that said waiting to discharge to 50%. I guess they won't even bother touching it till it gets down for another couple of days or weeks. My controls are disabled right now, otherwise I would just turn the AC on. The SC lot is overfilled with cars that need servicing. When I went 3 months ago you can drive around the outer rim of the lot. Now it's blocked off because there are just too many cars that need servicing. I also asked if they can activate auto pilot on my Enterprise rental and they said no because they didn't pay for it and also something to do with liability.

I wished for the universe to give me a Tesla loaner, and they gave me a model S with HW 2.5! Should have asked for a Plaid. :p

Good news I got a model S 75D. Bad news is I’m so used to driving the Y with FSD and I don’t think autopilot even works properly with 2.5 and don’t want to rear end someone to find out. Changing lane is better with the graphics in the middle of the cockpit steering and I can see who is behind me or in my blind spot. I can tell MYP has a much higher pitch whine at WOT, faster and more nimble.

If any of you get a loaner from a 3rd party make sure you insist on getting another Tesla and call in to verify. I beat another Tesla owner to it by calling in and reserving it. Otherwise you will get a Malibu or something.

Also Tesla app shows estimated completion September 20, 11am and it’s 8PM right now stuck at cost estimate. 🤡🥸🤓
That's September 20, 11 am 2022...

Keith :D

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG