Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banning EV's from multi-storeys *sigh*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Here we go again! This kind of anti-EV rubbish is getting worse and worse. Don't buy an EV because soon you won't be allowed in car parks. The entire structure of the car park will be compromised by your Tesla.

Amazing how weighty ICE vehicles don't get a look in...

Range Rover Sport ~2500kg
Volvo XC90 ~2900kg
Defender ~2400kg

Here we go again! This kind of anti-EV rubbish is getting worse and worse. Don't buy an EV because soon you won't be allowed in car parks. The entire structure of the car park will be compromised by your Tesla.

Volvo XC90 ~2900kg
Defender ~2400kg
Im guessing its the fire hazard more than weight

Reactions: mark02115
Probably related to this:

One dead in NYC multi-storey car park collapse

Expect they need to review the potential weights that could be going in to them and check what the original tolerances were
Oh definitely. I can't disagree that extra weight won't be good for the older structures but to point out EV's with no mention of equally heavy ICE cars is just more fuel (no pun intended) for the anti-EV brigade

Volvo XC90 ~2900kg
Defender ~2400kg
Well the focus was on EVs, but a 2500kg weigh limit would only affect the Range Rover and XC90… Tesla model y ranges from 2000-2400kg, so would be fine…. So hopefully the 2500kg weigh limit is adopted as the car parks will have more free spaces!

Reactions: Craigm86
One solution is to make the spaces wider to reduce the density/volume of parking and reduce the floor load. Win win…

One of our local multi-stories has extra wide spaces on upper floors. Certainly goto floors irrespective of vehicle size.
And the newer multi storeys I don't see any issues with. They seem to be built now with wider spaces Q Park in particular i find are very good (or the ones i've been in anyway). With older structures maybe it's a case of less spaces = less revenue. I'd imagine though it's just not really caring until it becomes a real problem

I know I’ve put on weight in recent years but surely it can’t be that much?!

IMG_4904.jpeg

I have been dropping my handy weights list on certain YouTube channels

Corsa D, 1160kg
Toyota Corolla, 1395kg
Funky Ora Cat EV, 1615kg
Kona EV, 1635kg
Tesla Model 3, 1730kg
Mini EV 1775kg
Volvo XC90D, 2069kg
Tesla Model Y, 2154kg
Land Rover Discovery, 2184kg
BMW X5, 2135kg
BMW X6, 2240kg
Audi etron 50 EV, 2560kg
Audi Q8 etron EV, 2585kg
Rolls Royce Phantom, 2610kg
Mercedes EQC EV, 2620kg
Audi etron 55, 2720kg
Range Rover Sport, 2735kg
Mercedes EQV EV, 2960kg

Googling a few different sources ... it seems clear that ICE vehicles are at a significantly higher risk of fire than EVs.
Agreed but they are also easier to extinquish if they do catch fire since they are not self sustaining. How would you actually put out an ev battery fire in an indoor carpark. And if the car next to it is an EV and the one next to that?
Genuine question i really don't know?