Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad UMC: Model S not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue/s as @mrbry - I was gone out of town, with the charger plugged in...3 days later, wife reports clicking sound, unplugs car. I get home and there is an error message on the screen that unable to charge; plugging in results in red color emanating from the charge port. Changed to 110V adapter from my 220V; same result. Trying this several times; occasionally amps/volts ramp up, then drop off. Bring to service...master charger issue. Parts ordered. Hopefully to be replaced on Monday.

Starting Thur. night/Fri morning, I noticed through my circuit monitoring system that rather than keeping a steady 9.3kw charge, the circuit charging the Model S was oscillating between 0 and 9.3kw. There were a total of 16 oscillations in 8 hours of charging, although the intervals varied. Fri. night/Sat. morning the behavior changed, with continuous up and down spikes for the length of the charge, often reachin 9.3kw but not returning to 0.

After consulting with Service, I ran an experiment tonight, plugging the Model S into the J1772 30A charger I use for my Fisker Karma. Voila, a continuous 7.4kw charge. My conclusion is that my UMC is bad, as reported several times upthread, so I will be contacting Service for a replacement.

My UMC went bad and did would not charge. I tested by using a J1772 charging station and that worked normally. It happened on the weekend, so I charged at the local Nissan dealership. Very nice dealership. Tesla sent a new one next day air which corrected the problem.

Tesla service guy did remote diagnostics and said that I had a bad UMC. However, the UMCs are all on back order. Actually, no, the term he used was "shortage". I must now wait for a new UMC to arrive. Hopefully this is the end of this story.

Apparently, several other users are experiencing the same problem with defective UMCs.

Tesla service guy did remote diagnostics and said that I had a bad UMC. However, the UMCs are all on back order. Actually, no, the term he used was "shortage". I must now wait for a new UMC to arrive. Hopefully this is the end of this story.

Apparently, several other users are experiencing the same problem with defective UMCs.

I really don't understand this. Tesla should always keep a minimum inventory for all components for DELIVERED cars.

I really don't understand this. Tesla should always keep a minimum inventory for all components for DELIVERED cars.

At some point in the near future this will be the case. Right now it is a tricky balance of production and service. I am sure they did have extra supply but the demand on the service side was unexpectedly increased and hence the temporary shortage.

I agree it is unfortunate, but things will be soon rectified.

At some point in the near future this will be the case. Right now it is a tricky balance of production and service. I am sure they did have extra supply but the demand on the service side was unexpectedly increased and hence the temporary shortage. I agree it is unfortunate, but things will be soon rectified.

I will get to test this theory tomorrow. I have a bad UMC and am taking my Model S to the Menlo Park Service Center to demonstrate the problem. I'm anxious to hear when a replacement will be made available to me.

Alternatively, they could just deliver my back-ordered HPWC to obviate my short term need for a replacement UMC. :biggrin:

Add me to the list. Remote diagnostics show the primary master charger (in the car) has gone bad. I have an error on both screens. Rebooting both didn't help. Plugging in my charge cable gave me a clicking noise and the charging light went from green to red. Off to the service center for the first time.

On day 2 after delivery my UMC would not lock in. Ring stayed white. I went for a drive and had no problem charging after it. Day 3 ok. Day 4, no matter what I did, would not lock. Twisting or torquing would get green, but when pressure released, back to white. Using a J1772 to charge worked fine. Day 5 no problem. Day 6, just like day 4.

Called service and described the issue. As might be expected, this was blamed on need to 'finesse' plugging it in. The UMC lights themselves showed no problem, the connector was not damaged. Opening port by 17" screen, or by UMC button made no difference. Rebooting main screen made no difference. Car logs not revealing.

But, I had taken video with my phone of he behavior. On sending that to Vince, the service rep, it was completely clear that the problem was not how I was plugging in, but that we had a real defect.

so a new UMC was overnighted to me. So far, connecting flawlessly.

Take home lessons: video of a fault is golden for troubleshooting; Tesla customer service is stellar.

Cross posting this to TMC forum as well.

I had the same issue yesterday and found that the button on the charge cord, the one you use to open the port, needed to be pressed half way in order to initiate charge. A piece of masking tape did the trick, and got me a full charge. I created a demo video here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue yesterday and found that the button on the charge cord, the one you use to open the port, needed to be pressed half way in order to initiate charge. A piece of masking tape did the trick, and got me a full charge. I created a demo video here:

This is excellent solution and video! I have the same problem, of course on Saturday night. I will get replacement cable on Monday, but meanwhile able to charge my car. Thanks a lot, Brent!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is excellent solution and video! I have the same problem, of course on Saturday night. I will get replacement cable on Monday, but meanwhile able to charge my car. Thanks a lot, Brent!

Well, tape alone worked for few minutes only, so I've modified the original method by laying a piece of cardboard under the tape to create a little more pressure to push the button half way. Hopefully this will do the trick.

image.jpg

To update the previous post - the modified method worked for long enough to charge the car overnight (about three hours), but apparently the tape did not hold the button firm enough to be engaged in 50 deg F garage and connection between the cable and the port went bad some time after the charge was completed again. The mobile app now indicates that charge port is open, states: Connect charge cable.

My UMC went bad and I was on vacation. MS would not charge while I was gone. Tesla sent me a new cable and friend installed it. So far everything is fine. I was worried that since my SOC was so low that the battery might be harmed.

Just got my new replacement cable dropped by Tesla technician at the house. Apparently TM changed design of the plug connecting to the car: the button on the plug no longer cut-out all the way around, it is cut-out partially now, and looks like a tab.

image.jpg

Last edited:
This seems to all be happening very recently (not that there were not any other issues previously, but this seems to be a sudden increase in incidents of charging problems. Could the new software have a bug? We know it was likely rushed out and I wonder if they have created a bigger issue than they fixed?