Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price of the app is $14.99 USD. Maybe you are in Canada? If the price that Apple has charged you is different from the price that Apple showed you when you purchased the app (highly unlikely as Apple does not make mistakes like this), please let Apple know.

Please disregard. For some reason, Apple decided to add a purchase I made last weekend to the purchase of your app I made today which totaled $20.98. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31
Bro. I am a bit disappointed in you.

You made a great app and at the $9.99 price you had was a sweet spot. It said, as a buyer, I agree you should get paid a fair amount. You talk to your users and listen to their ideas. You put in the work.

Which is why I talked your app up. Even left a message on Ryan’s ride the lightning show. Because you have a good product.

But now those of us who helped spread the word, now see you upping the price and talking about in app purchases.

I liked you because I thought you didn’t agree with that business model.

I thought your business model would be to keep the app fresh and add new things and grow by continuing to get more buyers. To ride the wave that is Tesla as more and more of their cars go to market.

You made a great app and at the $9.99 price you had was a sweet spot. It said, as a buyer, I agree you should get paid a fair amount. You talk to your users and listen to their ideas. You put in the work.

Which is why I talked your app up. Even left a message on Ryan’s ride the lightning show. Because you have a good product.

But now those of us who helped spread the word, now see you upping the price and talking about in app purchases.

I thought your business model would be to keep the app fresh and add new things and grow by continuing to get more buyers. To ride the wave that is Tesla as more and more of their cars go to market.

I really appreciate your support. A few points to consider
  • I have not added any in-app purchase yet. I simply sent a survey to see how people feel about the idea.
  • I don't rely on app development for a living, but think about the independent developers for whom this is the sole source of income. They have expenses like the rest of us and they need money to live and send their kids to school. This is why independent innovative developers are becoming extinct and they all have to work for big corporations.
  • Once the number of people who have bought the app saturates, I'll be still paying for the backend and still need to respond to support emails and still need to maintain the app due to changes in iOS.
Also consider these two cases:
  • Case 1: The app gets a new major feature as an in-app purchase
  • Case 2: The developer maintains current features in App1 and even occasionally adds some new features to it, but releases the new major feature as a separate app (App2)
Which one do you prefer?

In 'case 1', you have the option of getting the new major feature as part of the same app if you feel it is useful to you.
In 'case 2', you've got what you paid for wrt App1 and if you find App2 useful, you'll buy it. My earlier statement about not adding in-app purchase still applies to App1.

Regarding increasing the price of the app to $15: The app now has more than double the number of features that it had when I first set the price to $10.

BTW, I've decided to include the "Battery Prep" feature for free. It'll be released in a few days.

Last edited:
Just put a disclaimer that prices will increase in the future as more features are added. I think when I bought the app at $10 it wasn't worth it. Kind of like a toy that was cool for 10 minutes. Now with all the updates and running faster I think it's worth $15. Reconditioning doesn't do much for me so not worth $3 or even $1. I think even with more features, this could be a $20 app.

You just need to find features the $35k owners cares about. Let's call them non-Tesla rejectors. They have different needs than Tesla hardcore. They wouldn't care about data but more QoL issues. Once you get those in, this would be an awesome app worth much more than $20.

Btw, at $10, he was only taking in $7. Increasing the price means he is now taking in $10.5 before taxes. Just be glad he is sharing this hobby with us. Totally not worth his time to upkeep. Just UI/UX alone without any coding skills, we pay the artist $30k/ month. The income from this app is a drop in the bucket for this guy.

I disagree, it has lots of features that are not just fun things in the app (like choosing your car color), they actually are features the car wsan’t previously able to deliver, and who knows if Tesla even cared to add. Plus, there’s no other source of ongoing revenue for the developer like ads.

We’re talking about a few dollars for features you’ll be able to utilize for the life of your ownership. I think the app could be valued much higher.

Just put a disclaimer that prices will increase in the future as more features are added. I think when I bought the app at $10 it wasn't worth it. Kind of like a toy that was cool for 10 minutes. Now with all the updates and running faster I think it's worth $15. Reconditioning doesn't do much for me so not worth $3 or even $1. I think even with more features, this could be a $20 app.

You just need to find features the $35k owners cares about. Let's call them non-Tesla rejectors. They have different needs than Tesla hardcore. They wouldn't care about data but more QoL issues. Once you get those in, this would be an awesome app worth much more than $20.

Btw, at $10, he was only taking in $7. Increasing the price means he is now taking in $10.5 before taxes. Just be glad he is sharing this hobby with us. Totally not worth his time to upkeep. Just UI/UX alone without any coding skills, we pay the artist $30k/ month. The income from this app is a drop in the bucket for this guy.
Thanks. You get it. Battery Prep will be free. I care what my users think and that's why I ran the survey.

I disagree, it has lots of features that are not just fun things in the app (like choosing your car color), they actually are features the car wsan’t previously able to deliver, and who knows if Tesla even cared to add. Plus, there’s no other source of ongoing revenue for the developer like ads.

We’re talking about a few dollars for features you’ll be able to utilize for the life of your ownership. I think the app could be valued much higher.
I think we (including me) are conditioned to think that apps should be free. A friend who uses my app once told me: "it's a really useful app; you should make it free". I responded: "you are a really good physician; you should consider seeing patients for free".

The "Smart Battery Prep" feature is included in the latest version of the app. Update the app to get it. It ensures that your battery is charged and warmed up in the morning.

BatteryPrep.png

Great app!
I know there were discussions regarding updates and prices. Might be best if you charge an annual renewal fee to new customers moving forward. It would be unfair to charge current customers. Just my opinion. Keep up the great work.

• Love
Reactions: f8K37Sq31