Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot slammed on breaks in middle of highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced several open road collision alert false positives using TACC while driving up I-5... It's one of the reasons you have to be ready to hit the brakes or the accelerator at any moment, even when you're just using TACC.
This is good information. I tend to use TACC over auto pilot. No issues with either this far but ive only had my car for 1 month

The car that hits you is responsible. The car following should always maintain enough distance to have control/stop the vehicle even if the car in front slams on the breaks.

I guess different countries have different legislation (duh..). In Finland there is a precedent case according to which you are not responsible, if car in front of you slams breaks without a reason. Seems sensible to me.

I received my car back from service today. They resolved the 12V issue but stated there were "no faults detected" in the autopilot and AEB systems. I pushed for a better explanation and it seems as though they never actually looked at the logs to determine the cause? I was told they will look into it more and get information from the engineers. One suggestion they had was to make sure my collision alert was not set to 'early'.

However, the initial response was "there is nothing wrong." I just can't accept that my car slamming on the brakes in the middle of the highway == 'nothing wrong'.

Reactions: gowthamn
Yeah, that's a typical response when you get someone with not enough experience. I make sure it's on the work order and I tell them I'm expecting a more detailed and written explanation. If they push back ask to speak to the service manager.

• Informative
Reactions: Zybd1201
I had a somewhat similar, yet different experience yesterday. I was on a four lane devided road with a speed limit of 45 MPH. I was crushing around 52MPH with auto-steer and TACC enabled. Suddenly the car began slowing down dramatically, I immediately took over and then noticed the dash display indicated the car thought the speed limit was now 5 MPH and thus limiting speed to 10MPH since auto-steer was active. I hadn't thought it was significant enough to report to Tesla, but perhaps I should.

Reactions: Zybd1201
I had a somewhat similar, yet different experience yesterday. I was on a four lane devided road with a speed limit of 45 MPH. I was crushing around 52MPH with auto-steer and TACC enabled. Suddenly the car began slowing down dramatically, I immediately took over and then noticed the dash display indicated the car thought the speed limit was now 5 MPH and thus limiting speed to 10MPH since auto-steer was active. I hadn't thought it was significant enough to report to Tesla, but perhaps I should.
You should even if it's just an email to [email protected] which includes the date and approximate time if you remember it. It will help all of us including Tesla.

How did AP let you drive above 50 when the speed limit was 45? Just curious.

I have had slow downs when the car detects 20mph school limits even at nights and weekends which is a bit annoying, but nothing to sweat over.

Lots of crazy stories.. I have read so many stories like these in this forum. One of them actually convinced me to not go ahead with my MS order.

Is the typical response "you have to be ready to take over" enough? Can't a case be made that autopilot is unsafe?

• Disagree
Reactions: Odebek
Lots of crazy stories.. I have read so many stories like these in this forum. One of them actually convinced me to not go ahead with my MS order.

Is the typical response "you have to be ready to take over" enough? Can't a case be made that autopilot is unsafe?

Autopilot in its current form, based on my ~1000 miles of driving on autopilot since owning the car, is a bit of an odds game.

So long as it doesn't do one of its crazy things at the exact wrong moment it is not unsafe.

The problem is, you aren't comparing it to perfect, you are comparing it to human drivers.

Even more of a problem is you aren't comparing it to an individual human driver you are comparing it to (i would assume) the mean driver (+/- a standard deviation). Who knows what exact metrics they are using but seems reasonable for nonsense talk here.

In that case, if you are an incredibly safe and attentive driver and your skills exceed that of the "average driver plus a standard deviation" then the data may actually tell you that in your individual case autopilot is less safe.

However, if you are on the other end of that curve it would be better if you just let autopilot take over.

The thing is, we are talking large sets of data with very poorly defined outcomes with lots of noise and unknown variables having a great effect on those outcomes.

I worry about my autopilot (that is a good thing).

What I don't worry about is my safety.

I know that when I am driving my Model S I am in control and am ready to take over at any time. I also know that it is much more likely that on autopilot or not, given my driving habits and concern for safety, it is much more likely someone else will be the cause of any accident I am in. In which case, I know that I am in the safest car I could possibly be in when the unavoidable accident does occur.

Buying the car may be an emotional decision. It is for many of us. We are likely carrying a lot of baggage with us as we are making that decision which will cause a number of biases which impact the objective rationality of our decision.

Given the opportunity, a human will usually try to find information which confirms their original hypothesis rather than try to find information which disputes it. I think we are all guilty of that bias (Tesla, media, and owners).

When all is said and done, none of us have much time left anyways so do what makes you happy.

On the one hand there is a popular view that we drivers are safer overall if we use autopilot. On the other, we need to be ready to take over immediately, at any time, because there are many situations that autopilot can't handle. So it seems like AP is very safe as long as we rescue it from all the situations in which it is unsafe.

I use AP seriously in that I am ready to take control, and I have done so many times in many situations. But while there are many valid reasons to use it in various situations, my experience is that maximizing safety is not one of them under most circumstances. Maybe it is when a drive under optimum conditions for AP is very monotonous. In typical situations I believe a skilled human driver is safer, because I believe a driver in control of steering and pedals will have a shorter reaction time to unexpected events than a driver who has to retake control, even if they have hands on the wheel.

Last edited:
I thought you broke autopilot but it looks like what you meant to say was autopilot brakes in the middle of the freeway. The most recent release does seem to be more cautious, I've had it slow down unexpectedly a few times, but it's extremely rare. My drive to and from LA is about 350 miles and it did happen once or twice during that time. A lot of traffic and a freeway section that was windy during twilight hours.

I live in Tampa too and use the Vet daily and I cannot believe you are using AutoPilot on it.
The Vet is under construction, going from 2 to 4 lanes each direction so the lines are screwy in certain sections.
I sold my S a few months ago but I did use AutoPilot on the Vet and had erratic behavior.
Using AP on a road under construction is not smart...

I live in Tampa too and use the Vet daily and I cannot believe you are using AutoPilot on it.
The Vet is under construction, going from 2 to 4 lanes each direction so the lines are screwy in certain sections.
I sold my S a few months ago but I did use AutoPilot on the Vet and had erratic behavior.
Using AP on a road under construction is not smart...

sigh... It is a very long road. The whole thing is not under construction.

Do you think this looks unsafe for autopilot?

Suncoast-Scenic-View2.jpg