Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot loss of control situation response?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would Autopilot do in a Hydroplane event or if a front tire were to blow out?

Has anyone been in these situations? I would think the front tire blowout would be way too intense of an input for the system to maintain control, as well as a hydroplane event would result in the system over correcting and spinning out. Am I on track or are there protocols for the system in these situations?

Am I on track or are there protocols for the system in these situations?
No one here on TMC is going to know the Autopilot “protocols” for those situations. Tesla would know but of course won’t tell you.

AP should only be used by a licensed driver who is paying close attention to the road and their surrounding environment and has to be ready to take over at any time. The two situations you describe would, in my opinion, clearly require the driver to take control immediately. There are many other possible situations that could occur where the driver would have to take control. That is why you keep your hands on the wheel while using AP.

...Am I on track or are there protocols for the system in these situations?

Currently, the Owner's Manual says the system's limitations are:

"Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, or fog)"

"...on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc)"

Some one needs to work on those limitations so you can be on track.

Currently, the Owner's Manual says the system's limitations are:

"Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, or fog)"

"...on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc)"

Some one needs to work on those limitations so you can be on track.
someone needs to work on these limitations? really?

I think that is a common thought amongst most owners however,
some of us can have tantrums about the limitations or we can learn to deal with what is still the best AP available today. hopefully down the road the technology will improve.

I'm wondering, what car ap equipped or not, have you driven that you can trust to hold a steady track on snow/ice or a heavy rain?

No one here on TMC is going to know the Autopilot “protocols” for those situations. Tesla would know but of course won’t tell you.

AP should only be used by a licensed driver who is paying close attention to the road and their surrounding environment and has to be ready to take over at any time. The two situations you describe would, in my opinion, clearly require the driver to take control immediately. There are many other possible situations that could occur where the driver would have to take control. That is why you keep your hands on the wheel while using AP.

Yeah I know it needs to be used attentively, yet I was in the rain today and was curious on what to expect the system to do if I were to have crossed an unexpected dip in the road containing enough water to induce such a situation.. which wouldn’t be that avoidable during hydroplane condition if it had already started. As well as a tire blowing out happens in under a few milliseconds and few people are ever ready for such a situation at highway speeds under certain conditions. Wether under supervision of the vehicle driving itself or just driving manually.

Not implementing that the situation would be as a result of neglect of attention. Just curious.
I’d rather know what to expect in such a situation and cover all bases to my advantage than rather pray for the best of what I knew from previous similar experience.

All good reasons to always have your hands on the wheel. Eyes on the road are not enough in my opinion, since it will take extra time to grab the wheel when you need to take over.

If my car has a front blowout or hydroplanes, I want to have my hands on the wheel when it happens.

GSP