Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automotive News Article: Tesla's trump card: Used (Tesla) cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to me that a certain mileage is a must have, when all we have heard from Tesla is that AGE is the limiting factor. Why did you not say "one year old", I wonder? Ten thousand miles is nothing. 25-30 K miles is a drop in the bucket. At two years, I have 55,000 miles. Cars coming off the line today have better fit and finish, more colors than when I was buying, and folding mirrors. I started paying for my car over 5 years ago when you could have bought your base car for around $55K new, plus tax, license, delivery, maintenance, etc.

So your goal should have been to buy the car before the price went up.

Or, figure that it will be more expensive in another couple years and pay more now. Most people are surprised that what they think is absolute upper limit, isn't. Ask any realtor. You tell them your absolute top price is $200K for a house, and they will start showing you the ones on the market that start at $250K. By the time you're through, you got more than you thought you needed.

I'm just saying, the price point is usually NOT the limiting factor.

I think for most current Tesla buyers, the upper limit is more flexible. I fall into the category of "desperately wants a Model S, but really is in a salary bracket that should be looking at a car in this price range" For me it a hard limit, based on what I can fit into my budget without cashing out my kids college funds to buy a car. I would imagine that there are lots of people like me, who would not even consider any other car in this price range, but are willing to really stretch to make their dream come true.

For me, the mileage limits are more about how much warranty is left on the car. I will be seriously stretching my budget for this car, and if expensive repairs come up in the first year or two after I buy the car, it would become a major problem for my budget. I am willing to trade a little bit of comfort margin on warranty coverage to get the options I would like, but I need to have at least a year or two of daily driving before I am out of warranty. Of course, I could always purchase the extended warranty, but as my budget is being seriously stretched with this car, I would like to not have to do that right away.

I actually had a reservation long before the Model S stared rolling off the line (#P8661). When I placed my first deposit, I had planned on buying a 40, being told that it would go 160 miles. As it stared to become clear that 160 miles was optimistic, and that a true 40, charged to a normal charge of 80% would likely not be able to handle the one day a week I drive 100 miles in the winter, particurally if the battery started to degrade, I decided that I would have to go with a 60. While a 40 was going to be a huge stretch for me, the 60 was really pushing the limits. I came up with all sorts of interesting math to make a new 60 fit into the budget, but it was always a stretch. When GeorgeB announced that the annual service was mandatory to keep warenty, I could no longer make the math work, so I cancelled my order. Of course, after that the 40 turned into a car that would have actually worked for me, but by the time I knew that, it was to late to get one. Several price increases latter have pushed a new 60 back out of reach, even after the mandatory service debacle was sorted out.

That story puts me where I am now. I currently have a deferred deposit on a Model S. I have standing instructions with my owner advisor that the second Tesla has an inventory car in my price range to give me a call so I can finalize the order. So far I am only aware of 2 inventory cars at or below that price point since I put my deposit down, both of them trade ins. Unfortunately, in both cases, Tesla decided to keep the cars for internal use rather then sell them to the public. Hopefully at some point soon something will pop up, as the Tesla itch has been getting harder and harder to keep under wraps lately.

- - - Updated - - -

So basically, if Tesla dropped the price of the S60 to $62,500 as I have argued on the short term thread, with the $7500 federal tax break you'd be right there. Nice to know there are buyers at that price point. If you were buying new at that price, do you think you would add a few options as well?

I'm all in favor of Tesla selling used cars, but the supply of used cars is even more limited than new. It takes a long time to make a three-year-old car. ;)

If the new price on a 60 was $62,500 before tax credits, I would hit the "confirm" button in MyTesla right now. I would probably go with a pretty stripped car, as my price point is not particularly flexible. I could easily see at least going with leather. I would add supercharging latter on, once my bank account had recovered a little bit. I would love tech and parking sensors, but at the price point tech comes in at, its probably a no go for me.

I am sure there are quite a few other buyers like me who are just on the edge of being able to put a Model S in their garage, but I suspect many of them would be like me, and would be going with stripped cars to make the price work.

Yeah, I suspect a lot of people could be right at that edge. Just a small price reduction, say to $66,500, could have a big effect. For me when I was considering buying a Model S, the 85 seemed to be a much better value for the price over the 60. But as the price for the 85 was just too much for me, I walked away from the S altogether. Had there been a bigger price gap between the 60 and the 85, I might come to see the 60 as a better value for the money and give it serious consideration.

It's curious to me how there is so much resistance on TMC to the idea of lowering the price on the S60. We don't need to rehash all those points here, but I suspect that there may be a fundamentally different perspective between those how have already bought an S and those who have not. I think there is a lot of anxiety that if the price of the S60 came down a few thousand, that the resale value of all Ss would take a hit. As the uptake on the 60 is low, I don't think there would be much of an impact. Of course, I am not vested in a Model S of my own. The bigger risk to resale value, I think, is obsolescence, but no one seems to be arguing that Tesla should not be making their cars more and more awesome over time. Suppose Tesla replaced the S60 with a S70 plus Supercharger access and price it at $71,000. I think that would have a comparable impact on the S60 as simply reducing the price by $6000 or more, in terms of resale value. It would also cut in to the resale value of an S85, maybe knocking off $4000 in resale value. It seems to me that simply lowering the price of the S60 to the low $60s would have less impact on the resale price of the S85.

I'm not a Model S owner, and a $6K price drop won't get me into one. Nor would a $10K price drop. Quite simply I don't want such a large vehicle, at least not at any currently rational pricing. If one popped up used around $40K before the Model 3 comes out I might be tempted, but that's not going to happen, outside of an accident vehicle. I also don't want to see Tesla cut their profit margins when they already have a greater demand for product than they can satisfy. People who want an S at a lower price point can simply buy used, either from a private seller or from soon to be available returns directly from Tesla. There is no good reason for Tesla to lower the price of a 60 at this point in time, and there may never be one. As cell prices drop the 60 may go the way of the 40.

I'm not a Model S owner, and a $6K price drop won't get me into one. Nor would a $10K price drop. Quite simply I don't want such a large vehicle, at least not at any currently rational pricing. If one popped up used around $40K before the Model 3 comes out I might be tempted, but that's not going to happen, outside of an accident vehicle. I also don't want to see Tesla cut their profit margins when they already have a greater demand for product than they can satisfy. People who want an S at a lower price point can simply buy used, either from a private seller or from soon to be available returns directly from Tesla. There is no good reason for Tesla to lower the price of a 60 at this point in time, and there may never be one. As cell prices drop the 60 may go the way of the 40.
i believe the price drop will be higher than others consider
1. tesla model s warrantee transferable for eight years and can get extended service contract so risk of buying a tesla model s used from other sources less
2. battery warrantee they offer does not include degradation at normal rate so no advantage to getting a used tesla from tesla
3. roadster cpo program cars were bought back so low and sold at premium. model s owners will sell cars for more on market than trade in to tesla. remember the roadsters only had 3 year warrantee so getting a cpo had advantage since new warrantee offered.
4. hassle of selling a lot less than others realize. can use car selling services like shift who will do everything for 4% of sales price including test drives with buyers and collect funds.

Also with model x and possible all wheel drive coming out or extended battery there will be a lot more cars for sale on second hand market

It's curious to me how there is so much resistance on TMC to the idea of lowering the price on the S60. We don't need to rehash all those points here, but I suspect that there may be a fundamentally different perspective between those how have already bought an S and those who have not.

The thing is, Tesla is not demand constrained at this point in time. Furthermore, they haven't even advertised the car so it doesn't really make any economic sense to lower the price. Tesla will be able to service the buyers that don't have as much to invest when they come out with the Model 3.