Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic High Beams Suck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
False. They do not work well at all. They are dangerous. Not sure what agenda people have in lying about this. Please test for yourself by taking a night test drive and report back to us.

When are you going to sell your car and move on??? I swear, you're the exact kind of customer I'd never want as a business owner... Has it ever occurred to you that YMMV??? Or is that concept so foreign to you that you think the world must revolve around your opinions and/or experiences...???

Jeff

Mine seems pretty effective, for a first cut. Worked great on the highway, but on secondary roads it was not quite so great.

Tesla seems to get things better after a while and some feedback, so expect it to only get better with a little tweaking.

Expecting it to do exactly as I would do under manual control is unrealistic for it's first roll out.

And don't forget...it is free!

When are you going to sell your car and move on??? I swear, you're the exact kind of customer I'd never want as a business owner... Has it ever occurred to you that YMMV??? Or is that concept so foreign to you that you think the world must revolve around your opinions and/or experiences...???

Jeff

When another comparable EV is available or when Tesla refunds me including depreciation. I'm not a bad customer, Tesla is a bad company. I never asked to be deceived. I am only presenting my opinions on Tesla, has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has had a positive experience? Please heed your own words, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Here's a couple of crappy videos of my auto dimming experience, that I took last night. The second video was my return trip with the headlight status visible at the bottom. Hopefully this proves to you that some of the AP2 cars are working properly.

I appreciate the videos from @ELECTROMAN and @ZAKEEUS .

Perhaps everyone's expectation is different. For me, it seems the highbeams take too long to reengage after the threat has passed. Also they are falsely turned off by any bright ambient light that is not a car. They seem to work on a simple overall camera brightness method rather than actually discerning car headlights. I would consider it something I could have programmed at an undergraduate college level with any basic microcontroller, certainly nothing worthy of $1 billion company.

For me the hardest part is the user interface, where it is hard to override the car when I want the highbeams on immediately, other than pulling the stalk backwards in spot function.

It sometimes works well on my AP1 refresh S. The greatest weakness I've noticed using it is sometimes it will detect light from an oncoming car, switch to low, and a few seconds later it switches back to high while the oncoming driver is still approaching! It makes it seem like I am giving an oncoming driver the brights intentionally. They normally flash their brights at me in return. Very annoying both for me and for them and makes me seem like an a$$hole. So now I mostly leave them off because I'd prefer to set a good example when among my ICE brethren...

I appreciate the videos from @ELECTROMAN and @ZAKEEUS .

Perhaps everyone's expectation is different. For me, it seems the highbeams take too long to reengage after the threat has passed. Also they are falsely turned off by any bright ambient light that is not a car. They seem to work on a simple overall camera brightness method rather than actually discerning car headlights. I would consider it something I could have programmed at an undergraduate college level with any basic microcontroller, certainly nothing worthy of $1 billion company.

For me the hardest part is the user interface, where it is hard to override the car when I want the highbeams on immediately, other than pulling the stalk backwards in spot function.
Okay I guess I'm not expecting absolute perfection, but most people who know me would say I'm pretty picky. In my opinion the auto highbeams work great. Much better than trying to remember to manually turn them off for oncoming cars. I've yet to have them bright anyone. In the first video they did auto dim for about a second from one of the reflective signs, during the curvy unlit portion of the trip, but give me a break. I don't think you necessarily want your brights being reflected back at you, and it's not like your headlights turn off and your blind when they dim down for that second. They work much better than I was expecting.

You get them as a free over the air upgrade.

Try them out, and if you like them, keep them on.

If you do not like them, turn them off and wait until they meet your high standards.

There is a restaurant in Mexico with a sign outside. "If our service does not meet your high standards, please lower your standards"

No need for tons of drama over a free feature.

I think these LED headlights suck in general. The light output is no where near the output of my MB headlights and when you put your high beams on it cuts off the fog lights so you see less in front and there are dark spots. The adaptive lighting is also a joke by just turning on 4 side led's and not actually moving towards the direction of the car is heading like all other high end head lights.

Reactions: Swift and oktane
Free? I paid $155,000 for this feature along with several others. This was something promised but not successfully delivered, like so many other things.

I know how you feel. Still waiting for my FREE Automatic Headlights... This was the most expensive car I have ever purchased and as time goes on I regret it more and more. And to those that will say then sell it... That is not realistic taking a $30k hit on a 6 month old car. Mine was a 90D right before the 100D so in less than 6 months they dont even make my model any more.

Reactions: oktane