Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found the Auto Wiper feature to be the worst of any car I have owned. Even when it is pouring of rain the wipers barely even go to intermittent causing you to fumble about trying to change the setting while driving. Then some days they are on full blast when it is sunny. Also a good feature would be to bring on your lights when the wipers activate. The amount of times I end up driving in the rain with on lights on

Reactions: katooom
I have found the Auto Wiper feature to be the worst of any car I have owned. Even when it is pouring of rain the wipers barely even go to intermittent causing you to fumble about trying to change the setting while driving. Then some days they are on full blast when it is sunny. Also a good feature would be to bring on your lights when the wipers activate. The amount of times I end up driving in the rain with on lights on
Turn Auto Wipers off.

When you need windshield wipers press the button on the stock. The wipers come on. Wiper controls appear on the lower left of the screen for 5 or 10 seconds. Select the speed you want.

I agree with the bad auto wipers! I just traded this week my 2018 model 3 for a 2024 model Y and I hoped the wipers would work better in the new car they do the same and I have to manually set them. Although I did set the left steering wheel button to be able to adjust the wipers without using the screen so I'm not taking my eyes off the road.

I set the left scroll wheel up for wipers. It works pretty well for me, though yes Auto could be improved somewhat
That's an understatement. We owned a car nearly two decades ago that had rain sensing wipers that worked flawlessly. Little $5 sensor behind the rearview mirror and some super basic logic on a chip to make it work. Never an issue.

No phantom wipes, no wishing it would start or go faster. Just worked perfectly and faded into the background of user experience like all other automations we have come to expect.

Pretty sad state of affairs when such an "advanced" company with a self-proclaimed focus on all things advancing the safety standard can't even replicate something so fundamental to safety that worked fine decades ago. I'm not even asking for advancements here... just make the thing work like every other car made at every price point in 2024 and prior.

Tesla should be embarrassed but they're too busy making farts and RGB interior lights to care.

I have to wonder if I should be trusting FSD in a car that can't get windshield wipers to work automatically.

Tesla - give us the manual option I've had for decades on other cars: a manual delay function you can set yourself for those every-few-seconds needs.

Reactions: katooom
I have a 2020 Y, and I have to say that the auto wiper feature has gotten progressively worse. Recently, I made a 3.5 hour trip north into VT. The wipers activated every 10-15 minutes or so, especially when clouds or an underpass blocked out the sun.

On the flip side, when it is actually raining, there is an actual need for the wipers to come on and remain so, they don’t activate.

I recognize this to be a first world problem. None the less, the promise of improvements have been made ever since I first picked up my car. Almost 4 years later and the same discussion is being had. Frustrating.

Auto wipers have never been great, but since the last update I've had at least one or more dry-windshield wipes on almost every drive. It used to be that this would happen only when the car was facing into the sun, but now it seems to happen in all sorts of lighting conditions. This is happening on both my Model 3 and Model Y, and neither activated the auto-wipers in those conditions in the past.

I've installed S3XY buttons in both cars and have a button on the back of the left steering wheel spoke set for a long press to toggle the auto wipers on and off, a short press to increase speed, and a double press to reduce speed, which is marginally easier than using the voice command or touchscreen to do the same actions.

Reactions: drb3333
My headlights turn on when wipers are activated. That happened a couple of updates ago.
Yeah, that is a really great feature, i have had this since i owned a car that was a 2008, but was introduced in 2005. So a feature that every other car i have owned for the last 16 years have had this feature.

Sadly though....This feature is NOT enabled on cars in europe for some stupid reason. It seems Delton is living in the UK, so Tesla probably did not enable it for the UK as well and the same is true for Denmark.

I also have to turn automatic wipers off, sometimes they get a fit and start wiping the dry windshield. In the beginning i assumed it was some smudge that had gotten onto the windscreen where the camera is, but no amount of wiping with washer fluid helps and the AP works fine even if i just turn off the wipers, so probably just bad programming

Reactions: karlos22