Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure new buyers won't be forced to experience FSD. More likely they will be offered it. What will they do cancel your delivery if you don't want to try it out? I doubt it. But even as good as FSD beta v12 is, I wouldn't pay $12,000 for it. Autopilot is good enough for the majority of people. With that said, I have FSD but it only cost $2,000 when I bought it, plus $5,000 for the Enhanced Autopilot.
Honestly if they just made the Navigate on Autopilot and the Auto Lanechange features into a package and sold it for maybe $1000 i would buy it instantly.

I dont need autopark and Summon and Smart summon are MIA and have been since they made Vision only. Also these features seems rather gimmicky, unless you have a very small garage.

Reactions: Resist and Alonzo
I'm sure new buyers won't be forced to experience FSD. More likely they will be offered it.
I'm wondering if the OP on this thread would have benefitted from a quick drive teaching him the difference between plain TACC, Autopilot (TACC+Auto lane keeping), EAP, and FSDb.

It sounds to me like OP drove home with only TACC engaged and that's why the car would keep to its lane on curvy roads.

Reactions: Resist
I'm sure new buyers won't be forced to experience FSD. More likely they will be offered it. What will they do cancel your delivery if you don't want to try it out? I doubt it. But even as good as FSD beta v12 is, I wouldn't pay $12,000 for it. Autopilot is good enough for the majority of people. With that said, I have FSD but it only cost $2,000 when I bought it, plus $5,000 for the Enhanced Autopilot.

If this is actually true, I doubt it will go over very well, especially with most older drivers who don't embrace technology easily. I think it would be better to show them how to do it with a test drive if they want to and include FSD with the car for say a month, so they can get used to it and see if it's something they would benefit from. Then they might pay for the subscription or buy it. Personally buying it makes no sense anymore because Tesla is making it so the free hardware upgrade won't happen as they change the physical hardware designs. And you can't transfer it to a new vehicle. So it is less expensive to pay for it monthly with the subscription and you can always cancel when you don't need it and resubscribe when you do.

especially with most older drivers who don't embrace technology easily
Talk about stereotyping. Why would an "older driver", or anyone else for that matter, buy a Tesla with it's inflated price if they didn't "embrace technology"? I'm 75 and the only reason I bought a Model Y was for the technology. For $30,000 I could have bought any number of vehicles which ride quieter and smoother. My Subaru Crosstrek drove like a dream compared to the MY. The battery, routing, and charging tech on the Tesla are incomparable, for now.

That said, I didn't buy the FSD. I did receive 3 free months of it, that was enough to convince me that it wasn't worth $2,000, much less $12,000. Who wants to drive a car, having to be constantly on guard watching out for the car to do something really stupid? On the other hand, the TACC and Autosteer make a day long Interstate journey very relaxing.

Talk about stereotyping. Why would an "older driver", or anyone else for that matter, buy a Tesla with it's inflated price if they didn't "embrace technology"?
This older driver was moving up from a car with no ADAS. I was looking for lane keep, blind-spot monitoring, parking help or at least excellent backup camera so I could see any trouble I might be getting into, and traffic aware cruise control. My husband wanted a tesla.

You'd have thought that my list would have been met, especially since we bought FSD as well (didn't understand the difference between elon's BS and what it really was.)

In fact, blind spot monitoring only came in an update over a year after we got the effin car.

AP and EAP had major phantom braking issues for a while (much better now) and of course, tesla only sent us something for city streets almost 2 years into owning the car. And it had 5 fails on our drive home after updating so we set that aside, and tried a few of the updates since but all still fail within a block of any attempt on city streets so we only use it for controlled access highways.

TACC has never worked properly for us on one of our regular long trips because it insists the highway 60 sign (that being the highway number) is the speed limit and I have to constantly be overriding effin cruise control, something that was always reliable in every car we had before this one. I'd set it for 100kph on a freeway and other cars would pass me so the fact I didn't have a CC that would slow down when coming up behind a car wasn't an issue.

Now, having to have the auto wipers on when I'm in AP or just using cruise control means dry swiping when the sun is out and having to turn the wipers on manual when it is raining. So much for auto-wipers.

In regards to tech, the car has been a complete fail.

The seats, though, are the best I've ever had.

This older driver was moving up from a car with no ADAS. I was looking for lane keep, blind-spot monitoring, parking help or at least excellent backup camera so I could see any trouble I might be getting into, and traffic aware cruise control. My husband wanted a tesla.

You'd have thought that my list would have been met, especially since we bought FSD as well (didn't understand the difference between elon's BS and what it really was.)

In fact, blind spot monitoring only came in an update over a year after we got the effin car.

AP and EAP had major phantom braking issues for a while (much better now) and of course, tesla only sent us something for city streets almost 2 years into owning the car. And it had 5 fails on our drive home after updating so we set that aside, and tried a few of the updates since but all still fail within a block of any attempt on city streets so we only use it for controlled access highways.

TACC has never worked properly for us on one of our regular long trips because it insists the highway 60 sign (that being the highway number) is the speed limit and I have to constantly be overriding effin cruise control, something that was always reliable in every car we had before this one. I'd set it for 100kph on a freeway and other cars would pass me so the fact I didn't have a CC that would slow down when coming up behind a car wasn't an issue.

Now, having to have the auto wipers on when I'm in AP or just using cruise control means dry swiping when the sun is out and having to turn the wipers on manual when it is raining. So much for auto-wipers.

I agree that the Tesla has failed us "older drivers" in many ways in the tech department. My point was, we not only "embraced the technology" but we bought the Tesla for that exact purpose.

We have dozens of names for rain here so wipers get plenty of use. Recent update made auto wipers useless for me too. Was working very well previously after an older update fixed them. Now I leave them off, activate with turn stalk button and then use left scroll click left or right to adjust speed. Of course, intermittent is not a thing so, in those cases, I use the stalk button for a wipe as needed. Keeps eyes forward. I loved the auto wipers. I want them back.

Reactions: Hellpops

On the back of trucks in Europe, they sometimes have small stickers looking like speed signs to show what speed the truck is allowed to travel at (I assume, reality is, they are there).

Have tried more than once, the Tesla reading one of those and thinking it was an actual speed limit sign and since trucks are generally not allowed to travel at the same speed as cars, the car suddenly adjusts to truck speed and brakes to get down from the "Fast" speed i was legally driving and to the speed it thinks i am allowed. It is incredible to me why a car that is supposedly so advanced can not distinguish between a large sign on the side of the road and a small one (maybe 1/4 in size to the real one).

Have also had it read signs on offramps, where they post a lower speed limit but only for the ramp and i was travelling along, not taking the offramp

But then again...The Tesla is also the first car with autolight i ever owned that will do high beam inside of the city, where there is plenty of light from lampposts. Pedestrians on the sidewalk seems particularily annoyed from getting an eyefull of high beam.

Oh yeah and for some reason....When driving in Germany the Tesla will read and adhere to speed signs on the motorway, but in Denmark where i live it will not read a single sign when on the motorway. On any other kind of road, it reads the signs just fine, so it seems Tesla disabled the "read speed signs on the motorway" in Denmark (But not our neighboring country of Germany)

This all seems so inconsistent and silly, especially considering every other car i owned with these features have worked fine, and the autowipers i have had on cars in the last 20 years and every single car i owned pre-Tesla has had Rain sensors that worked more or less perfectly, the Tesla is the car i owned in the last 20 years that does the worst job of autowiper, autolight and sign reading (Some of those cars did not have all of these functions though)

Talk about stereotyping. Why would an "older driver", or anyone else for that matter, buy a Tesla with it's inflated price if they didn't "embrace technology"?
Well I'm also an older driver so I can say that. And Tesla prices aren't really that inflated anymore. In any rate, the auto wipers should just work and it shouldn't take forever to make them work. We really didn't need auto wipers. If FSD can't see because you didn't turn the wipers on, then FSD can give a warning that it will turn off unless the wipers are turned on. Problem solved. But intermittent wipers are better than Tesla's software based auto wiper.

Reactions: Kupe
Well I'm also an older driver so I can say that. And Tesla prices aren't really that inflated anymore. In any rate, the auto wipers should just work and it shouldn't take forever to make them work. We really didn't need auto wipers. If FSD can't see because you didn't turn the wipers on, then FSD can give a warning that it will turn off unless the wipers are turned on. Problem solved. But intermittent wipers are better than Tesla's software based auto wiper.
The reason it takes forever is probably because Tesla decided they could just use the camera to determine if the window needed wiping, saving them from installing a dedicated $2 rain sensor, but in reality it is not possible to do reliable rain detection using only the camera.

Reactions: Kupe and Resist
If FSD can't see because you didn't turn the wipers on, then FSD can give a warning that it will turn off unless the wipers are turned on.
That's what one would expect. But I've had wipers in auto while in FSDb/TACC and/or lane-keep that refuse to turn on. Once I can't see out the windshield well enough to monitor the car and be prepared to take-over, I've broken down and turned the wipers on myself. It might eventually turn off ADAS features but in that game of chicken, I've always broken down first since I'm responsible for driving the car at all times.

The car never refused to stay in an ADAS mode due to poor visibility due to the wipers not turning on.

I have, in other driving conditions, had the car refuse to go into ADAS or warn of degraded performance. It doesn't like fog (this was before my radar was disabled), heavy rain (but I would never ask it to drive in that because of hydroplaning possibilities), and deep dark (really, WTF? this is Canada, we drive in the dark all the time here once we leave the city, that's why cars have headlights.)

Up until April 2023, I never noted an issue with the auto wipers (either dry swipes or not turning on in the rain) but I can't say exactly which update broke them for me. Note, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned with auto-wipers so this is my only experience with auto-wipers. But for the first 2.5 years of owning the car, the wipers remained in auto mode and I never gave them a second thought. Sometimes I had to turn them up, but driving myself or with some mode of ADAS I never had to turn them on when it started raining and I never had a dry swipe.

That's what one would expect. But I've had wipers in auto while in FSDb/TACC and/or lane-keep that refuse to turn on. Once I can't see out the windshield well enough to monitor the car and be prepared to take-over, I've broken down and turned the wipers on myself. It might eventually turn off ADAS features but in that game of chicken, I've always broken down first since I'm responsible for driving the car at all times.

The car never refused to stay in an ADAS mode due to poor visibility due to the wipers not turning on.

I have, in other driving conditions, had the car refuse to go into ADAS or warn of degraded performance. It doesn't like fog (this was before my radar was disabled), heavy rain (but I would never ask it to drive in that because of hydroplaning possibilities), and deep dark (really, WTF? this is Canada, we drive in the dark all the time here once we leave the city, that's why cars have headlights.)

Up until April 2023, I never noted an issue with the auto wipers (either dry swipes or not turning on in the rain) but I can't say exactly which update broke them for me. Note, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned with auto-wipers so this is my only experience with auto-wipers. But for the first 2.5 years of owning the car, the wipers remained in auto mode and I never gave them a second thought. Sometimes I had to turn them up, but driving myself or with some mode of ADAS I never had to turn them on when it started raining and I never had a dry swipe.

Have had 4 different cars with autowipers since 2012, the first 3 had autowipers that just worked, they even had a dial to set how sensitive they should be and when i had owned the car for a little while and gotten the setting right for my liking, i never gave them a thought.

The Tesla is easily the worst autowipers i have ever tried. I think the smoking gun here is....First 3 cars had dedicated rain sensors, the Tesla does not.

I think the reason the autwipers on the Tesla is worse is because it is simply not possible to make the autowiper function work as refined using only the camera, compared to the dedicated rain sensor.

Reactions: Kupe and Resist
maybe this will get better along with sentry mode battery drain in q2 update.

Hopefully the Sentry Mode battery drain issue is resolved but I don't have faith that they can fix the auto wiper issue anytime soon since Elon has been promising a fix since 2018.

This story was back in February. There was already an update that included a change to the auto wiper functionality. Most claim it was a step backwards, not forwards.

Talk about stereotyping. Why would an "older driver", or anyone else for that matter, buy a Tesla with it's inflated price if they didn't "embrace technology"? I'm 75 and the only reason I bought a Model Y was for the technology. For $30,000 I could have bought any number of vehicles which ride quieter and smoother. My Subaru Crosstrek drove like a dream compared to the MY. The battery, routing, and charging tech on the Tesla are incomparable, for now.
Inflated price? At the current prices? I disagree completely. What ICE can you get for the price of Y that does what a Y does? Heck a Mustang GT costs the same as a Y and the only thing that does better is look nicer. Otherwise in a Y you are getting a mid sized crossover that performs as well as a Mustang GT that's fully loaded for 45k. You can't beat that, EV or ICE, and that's why I got one.

Auto wipers in this car are a joke. 2 years into ownership and it is getting worse! Whatever Tesla did during the last update causes them to activate in dry conditions and all sorts of random intervals. I was sitting behind a model 3 on the freeway the other day and could see their wipers activating every few minutes. It’s ridiculous.

Yes you can turn it off but as soon as you enable TACC is goes back to auto. Then you have to turn it off again which is extremely distracting .

FFS Tesla how hard is this? Every other car manufacturer has figured it out.

People have been telling Elon about this for years, but he must be too busy over at X. If the people who are actually working on it can't get it right, then hire smarter people! We should get what we paid for and it shouldn't take a decade to fix. But do you even need auto wipers? We can manually use them in set speeds or on an intermittent setting, why is that so difficult?! Everything doesn't have to always be automatic or we will end up being a lump of flesh sitting on a seat, not knowing how to do anything.

Last edited: