Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam making Autosteer unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add my experience with auto wipers. Rain in SoCal is pretty scarce, but we had a severe thunderstorm today from our heatwave. I had a friend in the car and enabled auto wipers. 2021 MY. Wipers worked great. I even asked my friend what he thought of the wipers, and he said they seemed to work fine. Heavy downpour and they ran fast. Rain slowed down and they slowed down. Rain stopped, they stopped. Maybe my car is an anomaly, but I was impressed.

Reactions: RTPEV and DrChaos
In my experience the autowipers are only a problem when the area of the windshield in front of the main cameras is dirty. They will come on to try to clean it, and if they are not successsful they may continue to try for hours. But when that area of the windshield is clean, they seem to operate very well. It's hard to remember to clean it each time before you get into the car, but well worth it if you can remember to do so.

Auto high beam, on the other hand, is BAD (Broken As Designed). It should be easy to fix. As has been pointed out here many times. other manufacturers do it perfectly.

Reactions: XPsionic
I have a pre 2022 M3. It seems that one of the latest updates now forces auto high beam on when auto steer is enabled. Not a fan. My 2019 Honda Pilot’s auto high beam worked way better. So now when the high beam automatically comes on, I quickly push the left hand stalk towards the dash which disables auto high beam. Pain in the butt.

Reactions: XPsionic and finjop
It’s heartarming to know that you guys in the USA and Canada are suffering the same crap auto high beam implementation as we Brits are.
I wrongly assumed it worked half decent for you and was just wrong over here.
My 2020 M3LR updated to 24.6 on 1st Sept and 24.8 a week later.
We have white reflective chevron signs for bends. Tesla thinks they are headlights and dips the lights as you enter the bend. Does the same for white reflective direction signs. On a dual carriageway sees oncoming lights, Nah stuff ‘em!
When it does dip properly, it takes 3 seconds or more to the high beams back on.
Auto high beam was useless when it first implemented and that hasn’t changed except it’s compulsory on AP/FSD
Get shot of the software team and hire some first graders. They could do a better job!

My first night driving FSD Beta and it seems like the auto high beams seems pretty good. I don’t want to read too much into one drive, but I was wondering if others have noticed this.
Well I find this thread interesting/surprising.

My experience is that auto high beams AND auto wipers work very well.

I'm not sure if I just happen to have a really fantastic car and the rest of you don't, or if my standards are impossibly low, or what, but I just do not see any real problems that the rest of you seem to have with the system.

Sure, my car dips its high beams at some bright reflective signs. Does that make it unusable? Hardly! It's not even really annoying. I mean who cares?

It seems to always dip the high beams at oncoming traffic at around the point I would if I was in control...it leaves me wondering if some of you dip your high beams well before really necessary and that's the reason for the complaints?

I will say that one (and only one) time the car did go into a weird flicking high beam mode at oncoming traffic. It was during the dawn time and the angle of the sun may have played a role, but that is literally the only time I've seen that kind of behavior.

As far as the wipers go, I would describe their operation as almost perfect. The only exception would be sometimes at night after the car has been parked and either dust, dirt or pollen collects on the windshield, the wipers come on, obviously because the cameras see what appears like an obstruction. Usually a squirt of wiper fluid clears the issue up.

Would really love to take a ride with some of you guys to see what you are seeing and how it is so unusable!

Reactions: KArnold and Dewg
Okay, well first of all, it's hard to really judge from watching a video, but here's a screenshot (at 4:34) of when the guy started complaining that the high beams were still active:
1663168495860.png

First of all, you can see that the oncoming car is still quite far away (or at least appears to be in the video). You can see the high beams are illumuniating maybe 3 of the reflectors (on the left) ahead, while the car is still about 12 or so away. Plus, the car we are in is aimed slightly to the right, and the oncoming car is also aimed to their right (they are on a curve) so not looking in our direction anyway.

And here is the point where it went to low beams (about 3 seconds later at 4:37):

1663168718269.png

Again, hard to really judge distance from a video, but this is now the point where the two cars are actually aligned with each other and the oncoming car is still 6 reflectors (or so) ahead. I would call that an appropriate time to dip the headlights.

Maybe you guys just turn off high beams as soon as there is any indication whatsoever of an oncoming vehicle, but I typically wait until the closing distance is short enough to really matter, and when the cars are actually aligned with each other.

Plus, don't European vehicles have active matrix high beams where it will dim the portion of the high beam that is targeting a particular oncoming or following vehicle?
Screen-Shot-2019-07-15-at-11.27.59-AM.png

Maybe it's not active yet...

If there are better examples in the video, feel free to point them out, but at least in this first instance, I did not see anything strikingly unusable about them.

Okay, well first of all, it's hard to really judge from watching a video, but here's a screenshot (at 4:34) of when the guy started complaining that the high beams were still active:

If there are better examples in the video, feel free to point them out, but at least in this first instance, I did not see anything strikingly unusable about them.
Have you ever passed an on-coming Tesla at night without their high beams on? They are bright, really bright. I have been flashed at so very often that I ended up angling my lights down just a tweak and that helped, no more flashes. Now, if the low beams blind people, imagine what the high beams do to on-coming drivers even at a distance. I can certainly understand his complaints. The test is simple... park your car on the side of a dimly lit road (as in 4:34) with the high beams on, then in another car, drive down the road an eighth of a mile and turn around and see if your Tesla's high beams are not too bright and blinding, I think you'll find they are still bright. Then for kicks, drive to a quarter mile and then a half, maybe a mile, and see how far you have to drive until you can stare at them without putting your hand in front of your eyes.

Would really love to take a ride with some of you guys to see what you are seeing and how it is so unusable!
The definition of "unusable" could be argued ad nauseam, I suppose, but for me, the glaringly unacceptable "feature" is not allowing manual override when using autosteer. Totally unsafe in various situations. With TACC active (and following the same "logic"), why don't they go ahead and lock out the accelerator and brake pedals?

Have you ever passed an on-coming Tesla at night without their high beams on? They are bright, really bright. I have been flashed at so very often that I ended up angling my lights down just a tweak and that helped, no more flashes.
Yes, all the time. I don't find Teslas headlights different than any others. Seems like yes, you needed to adjust them down.

Now, if the low beams blind people, imagine what the high beams do to on-coming drivers even at a distance. I can certainly understand his complaints. The test is simple... park your car on the side of a dimly lit road (as in 4:34) with the high beams on, then in another car, drive down the road an eighth of a mile and turn around and see if your Tesla's high beams are not too bright and blinding, I think you'll find they are still bright. Then for kicks, drive to a quarter mile and then a half, maybe a mile, and see how far you have to drive until you can stare at them without putting your hand in front of your eyes.
Before I go to the effort of taking two cars to a dimly lit, unused road, I have a simpler test: driving around in my own car and monitoring its behavior, which I did intently on Thursday night, as a result of this discussion. I can tell you that my car switches to low beams at right around the time when I would if I was doing it manually, if not before. In fact, if I have any complaint at all, it's that it switches from high to low unnecessarily at times (like when it's fooled by a reflective sign or a streetlight or something), but that doesn't really bother me.

Before I go to the effort of taking two cars to a dimly lit, unused road, I have a simpler test: driving around in my own car and monitoring its behavior, which I did intently on Thursday night, as a result of this discussion. I can tell you that my car switches to low beams at right around the time when I would if I was doing it manually, if not before. In fact, if I have any complaint at all, it's that it switches from high to low unnecessarily at times (like when it's fooled by a reflective sign or a streetlight or something), but that doesn't really bother me.
Do you have matrix or original type of lights? If I use automatic, other drivers are flashing for me = it's not working properly. I have matrix ones.

The definition of "unusable" could be argued ad nauseam, I suppose, but for me, the glaringly unacceptable "feature" is not allowing manual override when using autosteer. Totally unsafe in various situations. With TACC active (and following the same "logic"), why don't they go ahead and lock out the accelerator and brake pedals?
If the car is the one driving (arguably you're sharing that responsibility with the car), then it gets to decide when it needs to use the high beams and wipers. At best, either you or the car should be able to decide when it needs to activate either, but neither of you should be able to disable high beams or wipers if the other decides that it needs them to drive safely. I don't see this as any different than the fact that you as a passenger shouldn't be able to tell the driver that they musn't use high beams or wipers. If you object to how the car or the other driver is using high beams/wipers, then feel free to sit in the driver's seat and drive the car yourself. Otherwise, the driver gets to choose.

Now that's not to say that there might a a legitimate software bug or it's behaving too conservatively during the "beta" period, but I just haven't seen it. Like I said, maybe I just have a high tolerance, but I am just not seeing anything even remotely close to unusable behavior, in fact, it's pretty much exactly how I would operate it myself.

Just to add my experience with auto wipers. Rain in SoCal is pretty scarce, but we had a severe thunderstorm today from our heatwave. I had a friend in the car and enabled auto wipers. 2021 MY. Wipers worked great. I even asked my friend what he thought of the wipers, and he said they seemed to work fine. Heavy downpour and they ran fast. Rain slowed down and they slowed down. Rain stopped, they stopped. Maybe my car is an anomaly, but I was impressed.

misty rain tends to be most problematic. my wipers can start wiping at max speed in some situations, which looks ridiculous.

The other weakness of the autowipers is misty rain at night. The car doesn't seem to see it and won't ever wipe until you have an oncoming car's headlights blinding you from light diffusion of the drops. Then it's like, oh where did this water come from and does a wipe.

I have adapted to both situations by locking the wipe interval to a fixed value in those situations. All others, the autowipers work fine for me.

Do you have matrix or original type of lights? If I use automatic, other drivers are flashing for me = it's not working properly. I have matrix ones.
I have a 2022 build with matrix lights. I have not found drivers ever flash at me and I find the automatic control acceptable. Then again I'm driving around SoCal and there is always significant enough traffic that the highs are rarely on when there are other cars around.

misty rain tends to be most problematic. my wipers can start wiping at max speed in some situations, which looks ridiculous.

The other weakness of the autowipers is misty rain at night. The car doesn't seem to see it and won't ever wipe until you have an oncoming car's headlights blinding you from light diffusion of the drops. Then it's like, oh where did this water come from and does a wipe.

I have adapted to both situations by locking the wipe interval to a fixed value in those situations. All others, the autowipers work fine for me.

The autowipers are wiping enough for the camera ADAS to be happy. Misty rain might not require wiping much for you, but it might require it for a camera right up against the glass. The night time issue is a flaw. A conventional rain sensor uses an active IR emitter.