Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smart Charge has Tesla owning employees... I plan to get a bid when I'm getting mine installed and an outlet moved at the same time. Tell them James sent you, they will say "James who?"

I believe they do a BUNCH of the L2 installations for the city.

His tag from the Central Texas Owners google group:
David Laderberg
Vice President

Smart Charge America, Inc.
https://SmartChargeAmerica.com

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Our family is very strongly considering getting a Tesla to replace our current CR-V, and I've got some questions about models and how well these vehicles generally hold up in our Central Texas climate.

1) The Model Y sounds pretty awesome, but I'm a little concerned that the driver's seat will feel "low" compared to our CR-V, more like a car. Does anyone have some insight on how they actually compare, or at least how the Y compares to the 3? I've driven a family member's 3 and at least have that as a point of reference. Online pics show that the body of the Y overall is taller (maybe by 14 inches?) than a 3, but not sure how that relates to driver experience.

2) Cedar season is fast approaching, and that reminds me of all the major pollen "events" we have throughout the year (oak trees, I'm looking at you). Any take on how well the cabin air filter holds up against these sorts of things? Also, are the filters the kind that I can get at Walmart, or does that require a Tesla visit (mobile or otherwise) to swap out?

3) What about the AC? It seems like every car we've had eventually has issues with the AC, probably because we use it so dang much here. Any real-world take on how well this performs?

4) Do we need a dedicated wall charger, or will the 20-amp outlet we have in our garage do the trick (assuming we get the appropriate adaptor)? We don't do much driving each day, so I don't expect we'd be putting a heavy daily drain on the batteries.

5) Any updated timeline on FSD? I heard back in July that stoplights and stop signs were running in shadow mode, but haven't heard much non-speculative info since.

Many thanks in advance!
---Brian

1) Nobody knows this. There are folks over in model Y neighborhood closely analyzing pictures but speculation is that it's a handful of inches taller (not 14).

2) I would speculate that model Y can only do standard tesla cabin filter. If it shares majority of components with 3 then it's not big enough for the HEPA bioweapon filter. (officially) Again, depends on how DIY you are but i'm sure you could gerry rig something.

3) No hard data on AC performance just yet as 3's are just a few years old. S/X might not be fair comparison since it's a different system. I'd think the HVAC has to be beefier than conventional systems because it's gotta figure cabin overheat protection into the longevity (speculation again) You probably know this already, but tint goes a long way too.

4) 20A is 16A charge rate at 120V so 1.92 kW, probably good for 6ish mph. I'd splurge for 240V socket. (can be pretty economical (e.g. $2-300) if your sub panel is near your garage). it's freakin $35 for a 5-20 or 14-50 adapter by itself!

5) Any updated timeline on FSD? If you're feeling charitable. I got mine when donations were on sale.[/QUOTE]

Edit: those are thoughts related to Model Y. I've got a pre-raven S75D. for S/X you really need 240V otherwise similar answers