Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

audio system oem...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the MX8 would ordinarily be a great thing to use to clean up Tesla's Boo-Boo's..........but..........the speakers seem to be 2 ohm and the MX8 won't like that. We could use just the processing section if we can get between the head unit and poser amplifiers. The MX8 takes 2 channel stereo, undoes the EQ built into the car, makes some measurements and offers up a solution with time correction and revised EQ in multi channel. You then have the option of using its built in graphic EQ to fine tune things to taste. The target function used is not flat, but rather it has been developed based on studies of a good response in cars. The Mx-8 is single ended and does not like balanced systems. I would expect that this system uses balanced architecture since that is the hot ticket these days. It is possible to use isolation transformers but they have their own set of problems. I am not of a mind to rip things apart just yet. My next plan is to pre-EQ the signals recorded on my flash drive to get better response. As I mentioned before, what we really need is to fix up the rears and that will require getting into the electronics or software.

Yeah, the MX8 would ordinarily be a great thing to use to clean up Tesla's Boo-Boo's..........but..........the speakers seem to be 2 ohm and the MX8 won't like that. We could use just the processing section if we can get between the head unit and poser amplifiers. The MX8 takes 2 channel stereo, undoes the EQ built into the car, makes some measurements and offers up a solution with time correction and revised EQ in multi channel. You then have the option of using its built in graphic EQ to fine tune things to taste. The target function used is not flat, but rather it has been developed based on studies of a good response in cars. The Mx-8 is single ended and does not like balanced systems. I would expect that this system uses balanced architecture since that is the hot ticket these days. It is possible to use isolation transformers but they have their own set of problems. I am not of a mind to rip things apart just yet. My next plan is to pre-EQ the signals recorded on my flash drive to get better response. As I mentioned before, what we really need is to fix up the rears and that will require getting into the electronics or software.

Not sure if I agree with fixing up the rears - I will most likely disable them and focus on the front speakers. I prefer the soundstage coming from the front of the car just like in a home speaker system. Plus this will cut down on cost and potential issues. Plan is to replace front speakers, install quality 8" sub, amp for power, and quality cables. I hope this is doable, but will likely require some customization in the Model S.

Update: I pulled apart a door, to look at a speaker and it's mounting. The speakers do appear to be a semi-custom design for Tesla! In my case, it's the 6" (160mm) that comes with the Standard audio (Sound Studio uses 8" in the front doors, 6" in the rear doors). They are specified at 2 ohms (measured 1.8 ohms).

The design is interesting from the lack of metal in the speaker - the basket (which holds the magnet away from the cone) is made entirely with plastic ribs, making the entire assembly fairly light for a speaker. I've never come across something similar, but it makes sense that they were going for weight savings. The plastic has a Tesla logo molded into it and it appears on the speaker label with a Tesla part number. The OEM vendor has "SW" in the plastic as well as the label on the back of the speaker. I've seen this logo somewhere before, but a quick search didn't find the vendors name. The speaker is made in China.

The speaker is about 2.5" deep, and the mounting design will not allow a deeper speaker. The speaker back plate looks to be quite close to the window when in it's down position. Due to the mounting design, it looks to be difficult to replace this speaker with a commercial speaker of the same size as there are no mounting holes for the rim of the speaker. The foam surround is glued into the plastic basket. A smaller speaker could be mounted, but it would be a bit of headache, and I'm not sure it would be an improvement.

Here's a shot of the back of the speaker
View attachment 17783

vcor - thanks for the great info. Does the front have a separate tweeter (component speakers)? Or is this 6" a full range speaker?