Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless the R8 e-tron has access to a charging network that is as good as, or better than Tesla’s Supercharger network, then how will Audi be able to show up Tesla? Everyone that knows anything about electric cars will know that Audi hasn’t been able to show up Tesla unless they offer access to a similar network at their launch date. Without having access to such a network this e-tron will just be a really fancy commuter car/toy.

I never said they were doing a good job at it, just that they were trying. :biggrin: I suspect it will probably have DC charging through either the combo charger or CHademo. Given the stats, price, circumstances around the car is being built, and that fact that they're going to be only produced on request, the whole thing screams publicity car to me. While the electric car nuts will know that their DC charging isn't nearly up to the Tesla standard, the average journalist don't know the difference and they're the real target for this car.

I think I'd take the BMW i8 over an electric Audi R8...

Simply for the fact that the BMW would still be lapping a road course after 20 minutes while a full EV would be dialing back power to keep the motor from melting, and the batteries would be nearly empty.

If the car wasn't going to be a track car then I think I'd like an electric i8 but that doesn't exist so would probably take the Audi R8 electric if someone was giving me one. Not sure about spending what Audi would want for it though. Audi has a chance to do something really cool with the R8 electric so hope they follow through.

The timing could not have been less fortunate. It looks like they were finally committing to launch R8 e-tron, and 3 days after they announced it, P85D came along.

I hope they stick with it anyway.
Not sure what either has to do with the other. I mean somebody looking for a BMW 7-series probably isn't cross shopping for a Lamborghini Huracan.

Not sure what either has to do with the other. I mean somebody looking for a BMW 7-series probably isn't cross shopping for a Lamborghini Huracan.

I don't think 7 Series customers will be cross shopping Huracans, but if there was an M7 that was faster, cheaper, roomier, and had better range than the Huracan, there'd be Huracan customers that would cross shop M7s.

Nice but probably will be $160k and slower than a D with no real supercharging infrastructure. But it would be nice for another real car company to enter the BEV market. I've always wondered if Tesla owners would still have allegiance with Tesla when MB/Audi/BMW release true competitors. It just doesn't seem like anytime soon though.

That's great news! Finally some real competition on the horizon! That's good for all of us, it's good for the environment, it's putting more pressure on the other manufacturers to get their butts moving. I'm not brand loyal in a way that I diss Audi (or any other brand) just because I drive a Tessla.