Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Still, I worry that the large automotive companies really don't want electric cars to succeed and their current efforts are really more comic foils to showcase electric car limitations rather than honestly pushing the envelope and trying to make viable EVs that can succeed on their own merits. I firmly believe that if Tesla was not in the marketplace driving me-too "innovation" from these guys that they would produce nothing more than a showroom prototype with limited range and specs and be happy to say, "see I told you it wasn't practical. Maybe in another twenty years." I worry that Tesla's success is being drowned out by all of these so-called competitors.

Maybe, but Tesla actually has a vehicle on the road. Not having the Model S progressing faster is a bigger slap to them IMO. Tesla could've said they were not only first, but had the better range, no generator etc.

Right now the public probably sees Tesla as a specialty manufacturer with a high priced supercar just like other outfits, but if they had the Model S sedan out and more competitively priced cars, they would probably look more like a competitive manufacturer and have very little to worry about as their tech still seems to outpace what's coming from the big guys.

I agree. Still, I worry that the large automotive companies really don't want electric cars to succeed and their current efforts are really more comic foils to showcase electric car limitations rather than honestly pushing the envelope and trying to make viable EVs that can succeed on their own merits.

The article posted here (about VW no less, so it is somewhat on topic) certainly points to this being true (at least for VW).
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/elec...mercedes-fight-e-car-lead-but-vw-skeptic.html

It seems like VW fears if they build an EV at this stage, it might ruin their reputation and the reputation of EVs. They are still primarily doing testing (internally rather than publically). In general, it seems like they are still pretty far behind if they have that little confidence in the refinement of their EVs. So although these Audi EVs do pose the greatest threat to Tesla, I don't think we will see them out for a couple of years.

I have to say I really like it for size and proportion. Our reticence on the Model S has been its large size. I will hold styling and interior comments for later versions but will say i could probably live with it (with he wife's blessing).

The Model S is 196 inches long.
This E-Tron 2.0 is 154 inches.

Anyone have a picture of what's in the "back seat"?

The same UK mag that had a very reliable rumour on this car is now saying £50k.

I think if they could get it under $50K US they could start to have a market.
If performance for 0-60 is > 6s then it isn't likely to be able to command a Roadster price-tag.

I really do like that exterior... It has nice proportions, but I agree that the interior could stand some improvements.

SO, Audi is doing great very cool stuff and now we find out that Martin is there. I dying to know what his guidance has been towards these cars.

Confirmed: Tesla Co-Founder Eberhard working with Volkswagen — Autoblog Green
Audi has shown two very different E-tron sports cars in Frankfurt and Detroit. VW has a research and development facility in Palo Alto, CA, not far from where Eberhard lives.

We've asked Eberhard for a comment on the situation and he has confirmed that he is indeed doing work with Volkswagen...

But they aren't / weren't in the wheels.
Oh, really? The Audi site says

"Audi presents the highlight of the IAA 2009: the e-tron, a high-performance sports car with a purely electric drive system. Four motors – two each at the front and rear axles – drive the wheels, making the concept car a true quattro."

I suppose they could be inboard... From the description on the Audi site, and a few others, it sounded like they were going with hub motors, but I haven't seen the car yet, so I'll take your word for it.

It's been known they were inboard from the original Audi press release (linked here).

The two electric motors, which have their own cooling system, are mounted behind the rear axle. The front electric motors are mounted on the front axle, with their cooling system arranged in front of them. This special package, which features a 42:58 weight distribution, ensures perfect balance, which contributes to the driving dynamics of the e-tron.