Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asleep with autopilot on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't put it past a drunk driving owner to tie weights to the wheel so he can defeat the nags, this is clearly not someone that puts intelligence and safety above personal convenience.

Did you read the article? After putting the driver in the back of the cruiser, a police officer drove the Tesla off the freeway.
If there were weights on the wheel, I'm sure the police officer would have mentioned it.

Did you read the article? After putting the driver in the back of the cruiser, a police officer drove the Tesla off the freeway.
If there were weights on the wheel, I'm sure the police officer would have mentioned it.

If he was using the orange method or a water bottle, the officer might have just thought it was an odd place to store that, not realizing it was a defeat mechanism.

Reactions: croman and skitown
Instead he managed to sleep with his hand on the steering wheel just right.
I think that is the most likely explanation for why it took several minutes for the police to get the car to slow and come to a stop. The driver had one or both hands resting on the bottom of the steering wheel in such a way that they did not exert enough torque on the wheel to disengage AP but enough for the system to detect a force on the wheel. A rare situation.

It took seven miles to pull over a Tesla with a seemingly asleep driver

Auto Pilot almost certainly saved that drivers life. That should be the headline.

I have never run the numbers but it would be interesting to see if Tesla accident rates are lower or high per capita than the average. I suspect they are about average.

Elon said that the numbers are already better than human drivers' statistics. However there is always a catch. He counted the total autopilot miles driven to miles driven by all cars. This is false since autopilot doesn't drive on every road, doesn't drive in bad conditions, mainly on highways and Tesla drivers are more responsible since they are wealthier than average, they are involved in less accidents than the average. So when you run the number to the same category: highway miles of Audi/Mercedes/BMW category, humans are still better.

Elon said that the numbers are already better than human drivers' statistics. However there is always a catch. He counted the total autopilot miles driven to miles driven by all cars. This is false since autopilot doesn't drive on every road, doesn't drive in bad conditions, mainly on highways and Tesla drivers are more responsible since they are wealthier than average, they are involved in less accidents than the average. So when you run the number to the same category: highway miles of Audi/Mercedes/BMW category, humans are still better.
The other thing to keep in mind is Autopilot likely does not have statistical meaningful sample size yet.

That is my issue with the "hold the wheel" nags as I can easily visualize someone dozing with their hand rested on the wheel right by the center post which provides sufficient torque against the car steering itself. That is a possible unguided missile.

Actually, it helps wake up a driver who had momentarily dozed off because of the movement of the steering wheel as the car on AP navigates freeway curves. The motion of the steering wheel is enough to nudge/wake up the driver, based on personal experience. AP also decelerates the car in case traffic ahead slows down, thus, assisting an otherwise inattentive driver and preventing an accident to happen.