Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asleep with autopilot on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): The first 26 posts in this thread are the union of posts from two different threads started on the same topic.

Check out this story.
CHP: Drunk driver suspected of using Tesla's autopilot on Hwy 101

Law enforcement using autopilot features thanks to a knowledgeable police officer. I wonder how long it will take the Tesla haters to put a negative spin on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
That area is restricted access highway. It seems it would be better for a drunk driver to be using Autopilot vs no Autopilot. I'm surprised that the car would go several minutes without stopping, considering how frequent the "hold the wheel" nags are at 70mph.

That is my issue with the "hold the wheel" nags as I can easily visualize someone dozing with their hand rested on the wheel right by the center post which provides sufficient torque against the car steering itself. That is a possible unguided missile.

That area is restricted access highway. It seems it would be better for a drunk driver to be using Autopilot vs no Autopilot. I'm surprised that the car would go several minutes without stopping, considering how frequent the "hold the wheel" nags are at 70mph.

I wouldn't put it past a drunk driving owner to tie weights to the wheel so he can defeat the nags, this is clearly not someone that puts intelligence and safety above personal convenience.

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Drunk-driver-slept-while-Tesla-drove-Hwy-101-on-13435295.php

Article headline should read: “Tesla Auto Pilot saves life of drunk driver asleep at the wheel”.

The CHP were able to safely slow the car to a stop without it crashing because it was on Auto Pilot. If it was a typical car, when the drunk driver fell asleep while driving on the freeway the car would have crashed at high speed and quite likely killed him as well as endangering other drivers on the road.

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Drunk-driver-slept-while-Tesla-drove-Hwy-101-on-13435295.php

Article headline should read: “Tesla Auto Pilot saves life of drunk driver asleep at the wheel”.

The CHP were able to safely slow the car to a stop without it crashing because it was on Auto Pilot. If it was a typical car, when the drunk driver fell asleep while driving on the freeway the car would have crashed at high speed and quite likely killed him as well as endangering other drivers on the road.

Reverse maneuver, a Tesla stopping non-Tesla (low speed):
Tesla Model S Owner Uses His Car To Stop Unconscious Driver, Musk Picks Up Repair Bill

After the nag continues it starts to slow you down until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. No way it would go several minutes without some sort of response to the wheel. Perhaps he used a small weighted object on the steering wheel or he feel asleep with his hands on resting on the lower steering wheel and as the vehicle would turn this would add tension to the wheel? Regardless, I can only conclude their had to be some sort of intervention.

Bad decision that will unfortunately yield him international attention.

Just more proof that the nags feature doesn't measure drive engagement.

Obviously if it autopilot would have slowed the car down to a stop, and it probably would have caused an accident of someone running into him.

Instead he managed to sleep with his hand on the steering wheel just right.

If Tesla didn't have the nag feature this kind of situation would likely be a monthly occurrence. Where either a cop or a citizen stopped a Tesla with a sleeping driver.

I like this part of the story - "Tesla, whose autopilot technology assists in steering, changing lanes and parking, has seen its vehicles involved in several notable accidents in the last few years...."

They the have only 3 other examples of anything going 'wrong'.

It was learned the hard way in the railroad industry that drivers can fall sleep and at the same time push a button or pull a handle whenever an audio alert requests it. Just like when someone turns off the alarm before being completely woken up.