Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The art of trolling:

6d3d018a2e7a328e18630b4ea78df0e4.jpg

It looks like Murdock Inc. has rolled out a new Tesla-Basher....welcome to a long, depressing line of snarky, incredulous haters Mr. Lahart. May you prosper as they have.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-targets-pull-away-from-profits-1429889005

Sorry....he's not new - just looked at his list of articles and it seems he's good for 1 bashing Tesla about every other month....

January's

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-t...-with-potholes-heard-on-the-street-1423763518

December's

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-may-run-slow-on-cheap-gas-heard-on-the-street-1417558869

June of 2014:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-needs-more-mothers-of-invention-1402690368

Oh....you get the picture. Paragon of objectivity in journalism. Every few months, take Tesla information (including Patent release?), if negative, magnify, if positive, twist to be negative.
:tongue:

Last edited:
I saw that article. Lahart doesn't mention that the expectations of 500K+ in vehicles volumes in bullish analysts forecasts is only 10% of the volumes implied by Elon's Apple-like market cap comment. While I'm not banking on Elon hitting that mark, there is tremendous upside to the conservative volumes in analysts long range numbers (i.e., they already are factoring the difficulty of forecasting further out in time with the low volumes they use).

The piece came out right after the stock spiked about $2... kind of like it was in the can, waiting for the right moment to be used.

I must confess I'm puzzled by this thread. Some of you called my article poorly researched, but you don't actually refute anything.

The only thing you 'refute' is my assertion that Tesla could make 500,000. In fact, I didn't say anything of the sort; I only said the factory is huge and used to make 500,000 cars a year, so increasing capacity was a matter of adding equipment, not buildings. Check the article, I haven't edited since a couple weeks ago.

For example, let's take Tesla's claim of being production constrained, which I consider the biggest whopper together with the battery swap.

Do you disagree with the Fed's data that show typical utilization in the US car industry above 80%? The historical average is 75%, but of course that includes some abysmal years that drag down the average.

Do you deny that Tesla had already achieved 1,000 cars/week in September, according to the company's own statements?

Do you deny that Tesla has stopped reporting capacity, and now simply says 'over 1,000/week'?

Do you disagree that Tesla's utilization is comparable to that of the US car industry as a whole, if not lower?

Do you disagree that the US car industry as a whole is not production-constrained? Of course some lines, some vehicles may be production constrained - in which case manufacturers will increase capacity. The industry as a whole is not, and could not be simply due to the diversity in model offerings.

Are you going to address any of the dozens of points I make in my article, or are you going to throw me a snarky one-liner?

Hello AZC, thanks for posting,

I'll start with this part of your article:
"Building factories takes years. Buying and installing equipment takes months. So if Tesla has the factory for the job, and only needs the equipment, why can't it meet demand two and a half years after starting production? Didn't they know this level of demand was coming? It seems Elon expected to make 500,000 cars in 2020, but he didn't expect to make 35,000 in 2014!"

OK, so can you provide some evidence that installing equipment only takes months? This has certainly not been the case for Tesla as they started the process sometime in 2013 and have still not installed everything from that order. There was an article in December 2013 talking about Tesla getting a tax break.

California gives Tesla $35 million tax break for Model S production. Good move.

And if you read the 10Qs and 10Ks it is pretty obvious all that equipment is not installed yet. If you are actually interested I think there is also a video from last summer with a Tesla exec discussing the factory upgrade.

And, yes, when the factory was opened Tesla planned on producing about 35,000 cars per year in the Model S/X line:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk predicting Tesla Motors profitability in 2013 - Torque News

Here is the specific line from the article:
"In the future, as the Model X goes on sale in 2014, the company expects sales volume to reach 35,000 units per year which would be a 2% market penetration in the luxury car market."

I'm sure there are many other sources. So, it turns out they sold 31,000 Model S instead of 35,000 Model S and X cars. The miss of the original target is failed execution but the extra challenge is that they also had to interrupt production to install a new line to support 50,000+ cars per year (the 1,000/month production they are currently at) and also lay the groundwork for doubling that production rate again with the introduction of the Model X.

Anyway, I can't help but notice the location of most who don't believe Tesla will continue to succeed. It is usually not California or Norway. I would recommend a holiday in Norway and talk to some of the owners before betting against Tesla's success with your own money. Now if you are just publishing articles then nevermind, keep on doing what you are doing, it really doesn't matter at this point.

I must confess I'm puzzled by this thread. Some of you called my article poorly researched, but you don't actually refute anything.

The only thing you 'refute' is my assertion that Tesla could make 500,000. In fact, I didn't say anything of the sort; I only said the factory is huge and used to make 500,000 cars a year, so increasing capacity was a matter of adding equipment, not buildings. Check the article, I haven't edited since a couple weeks ago.

For example, let's take Tesla's claim of being production constrained, which I consider the biggest whopper together with the battery swap.

Do you disagree with the Fed's data that show typical utilization in the US car industry above 80%? The historical average is 75%, but of course that includes some abysmal years that drag down the average.

Do you deny that Tesla had already achieved 1,000 cars/week in September, according to the company's own statements?

Do you deny that Tesla has stopped reporting capacity, and now simply says 'over 1,000/week'?

Do you disagree that Tesla's utilization is comparable to that of the US car industry as a whole, if not lower?

Do you disagree that the US car industry as a whole is not production-constrained? Of course some lines, some vehicles may be production constrained - in which case manufacturers will increase capacity. The industry as a whole is not, and could not be simply due to the diversity in model offerings.

Are you going to address any of the dozens of points I make in my article, or are you going to throw me a snarky one-liner?

AZC....can you provide a link to your article. Not sure what you are referencing.

To my understanding, he is just telling the facts. I don't see anything but facts on that article. Did I miss something?
None of his facts are wrong, I agree, but there are a lot of "color" words in the article that go beyond the facts to imply that bullish analysts are grasping at straws to maintain high price targets artificially. This slant is particularly strong at the top of the article, suggesting to me that an editor add some top-spin to an otherwise thoughtful piece.

None of his facts are wrong, I agree, but there are a lot of "color" words in the article that go beyond the facts to imply that bullish analysts are grasping at straws to maintain high price targets artificially. This slant is particularly strong at the top of the article, suggesting to me that an editor add some top-spin to an otherwise thoughtful piece.

Agreeing with Robert, I wasn't disputing the facts, just the tone, slant and outright conjecture overlaying the facts. After looking back at previous articles, it is a recurring theme. I get people not believing in Tesla or its success, those that are angry at Tesla baffle me.

Last edited:
If you're interested you should check out the comments to the article I linked above. The author makes some very bold claims:

Elon Musk is the P.T. Barnum of the Tesla circus - The Globe and Mail

The facts don’t lie. Argue the facts of Tesla, the data, not your own hopes and dreams and could-bes and wannabes and wish-it-weres…

Tesla’s balance sheet is a horror. Just look at it.

The evidence suggests that company is not being entirely truthful about its sales and production, and so-called production constraints.

Tesla’s car does not perform any better in crash tests than a long list of other vehicles. Don’t quote Rupert Murdoch’s Wall Street Journal, but instead look at the Euro NCAP scores.

The cars have been plagued with problems, the ones that don’t catch on fire.

Tesla’s finances show the company does not have the resources to support even its current customers over the normal lifecycle of an automobile. Read the financial reporting.

Its buy-back guarantees are financially unsustainable. Read the financial reporting.

Nine per cent of its earnings in the most recent quarter were direct taxpayer subsidies. That does not even bring all sorts of other taxpayer subsidies into the picture.

The giga factory will NEVER reach its 500,000 production dream, if it opens at all.

And on and on. These are facts.

The author goes by Jbc22 in the comments section.

He is just clueless. Please note this claim, which is bordering on libel: The evidence suggests that company is not being entirely truthful about its sales and production, and so-called production constraints.

How reliable is this:
Tesla's $13,000 battery could keep your home running in a blackout | Technology | The Guardian
That price... it should be like half, or less. Somethings wrong.
Maybe not - the battery is something where the price starts high and then works down as they need to generate more demand. The $13,000 was for the pilot project that I believe started in early 2014 so it really doesn't give us any indication as to what pricing the new product will have.

If you're interested you should check out the comments to the article I linked above. The author makes some very bold claims:

Elon Musk is the P.T. Barnum of the Tesla circus - The Globe and Mail

The author goes by Jbc22 in the comments section.

He is just clueless. Please note this claim, which is bordering on libel: The evidence suggests that company is not being entirely truthful about its sales and production, and so-called production constraints.

I think it's funny that this person Jbc22 says "And on and on. These are facts.", when the statement "The giga factory will NEVER reach... if it opens at all." is quite clearly an opinion, since there is no way to test this statement as true or false in fact.

I can smell the fear in these people like Jbc22 who resort to writing stuff like this, haha.