Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the last issue of Tesla Weekly:

Last week Tesla reported their 2nd quarter earnings and shared that the Model S/X order rate for July was about 15% higher than the average order rate from April-June. They also projected for Model S/X sales to be higher in the 2nd half of the year than the 1st half of the year. While all of this is encouraging, perhaps the most exciting but overlooked part of the earnings release was Tesla guiding for 25% gross margin for the Model 3 next year.

First, 25% gross margin on the Model 3 is much higher than most people were expecting. Also, it’s shows a lot of confidence that Tesla is projecting to reach that 25% gross margin target for the Model 3 next year. Tesla must be seeing the fruits of their work to prioritize cost reduction and ease of manufacturing for the Model 3.

Most importantly though, if Tesla hits their 25% gross margin target for the Model 3 next year, then I’m confident that they will show large profits, which will likely surprise most people.

Here’s some rough numbers we’ll use to see to see when Tesla will likely become profitable. Let’s assume Tesla delivers 75,000 Model 3s in Q2 2018 (average roughly 6k/week) and 100,000 Model 3s in Q3 2018 (roughly 8k/week).

Q2 2018 Projections:

• 75,000 Model 3 at $45,000 each = $3.375B revenue
  • 25,000 Model S/X at $95,000 each = $2.375B revenue
  • Total revenue = $5.75B
  • Gross profit (25% gross margin of revenue) = $1.44B
  • Operating expenses = $1.1B (this is a guess based off of Q2 2017 operating expenses being roughly $900M and Tesla guiding for flat operating expenses for 2nd half of 2017. Let’s assume operating expenses go up modestly in Q1/Q2 of next year)
  • Other expenses = $150M (including interest expense, etc)
  • Net profit = $200M
Q3 2018 Projections:

• 100,000 Model 3 at $45,000 each = $4.5B revenue
  • 25,000 Model S/X at $95,000 each = $2.375B revenue
  • Total revenue = $6.875B
  • Gross profit (25% gross margin of revenue) = $1.72B
  • Operating expenses = $1.2B (let’s assume an increase of $100M from previous quarter)
  • Other expenses = $150M (including interest expense, etc)
  • Net profit = $370M
Now, of course these numbers are just an educated guess, but you can use them to plug in your own numbers. It’s also possible (likely?) that it takes longer than expected to ramp up Model 3 production and this delays these projections by a quarter or so.

However, what’s notable about these projections is that from my numbers I think Tesla could be profitable starting next year, as early as Q2 and with a substantial profit of $200M (that’s a $800M annual run rate). And since Tesla’s operating expenses will likely be growing much slower than their revenue, this operating leverage will allow them to make larger profits in quarters to come.

This is why I think Tesla is choosing to raise money via bonds and not equity. It’s because Tesla is seeing that next year they will become profitable and can start repaying such loans (or at least easily handle the interest payments with profit), and they don’t see any reason to dilute shareholders at the moment.

Now forecasting the exact quarter when Tesla becomes profitable is extremely difficult and that’s not the point here. Whether Tesla becomes profitable in the beginning, middle or late next year is besides the point. The point is that if Tesla actually achieves their target of 25% gross margin on the Model 3, they likely will become profitable and this will mark a huge transition and transformation of the company… to a company that makes profit and a lot of it.

Here’s some rough numbers we’ll use to see to see when Tesla will likely become profitable. Let’s assume Tesla delivers 75,000 Model 3s in Q2 2018 (average roughly 6k/week) and 100,000 Model 3s in Q3 2018 (roughly 8k/week).own numbers. It’s also possible (likely?) that it takes longer than expected to ramp up Model 3 production and this delays these projections by a quarter or so.

Do we have any insight on how Tesla plans to get from 5K M3 per week to 10K? It seems like there are two possibilities:

1) The M3 final assembly line is designed to support 10K per week. Tesla will be able to gradually speed up production on this line as they remove bottlenecks and incrementally increase production on this line from 5K/week to 10K per week.

2) The M3 final assembly line is designed to support 5K per week. Tesla plans to bring a duplicate of this production line online sometime in 2018 and double production to 10K/week.

I have no inkling about which approach Tesla is taking. But my gut tells me it will be the second one, and therefore a step function rather than a gradual increase in production.

Reactions: neroden and DaveT
Do we have any insight on how Tesla plans to get from 5K M3 per week to 10K? It seems like there are two possibilities:

1) The M3 final assembly line is designed to support 10K per week. Tesla will be able to gradually speed up production on this line as they remove bottlenecks and incrementally increase production on this line from 5K/week to 10K per week.

2) The M3 final assembly line is designed to support 5K per week. Tesla plans to bring a duplicate of this production line online sometime in 2018 and double production to 10K/week.

I have no inkling about which approach Tesla is taking. But my gut tells me it will be the second one, and therefore a step function rather than a gradual increase in production.
Elon and JB aready said that they are going to do number one, except that they think that they can ultimately get the line to produce more than ten thousand per week.

Do we have any insight on how Tesla plans to get from 5K M3 per week to 10K?

Musk actually stated on one of the ER calls (Q1 I think) that plan was more like the first option.
They will enhance the one line as needed to alleviate bottlenecks (verified once running closer to 5k I presume) so that the rate can achieve 10k.
I presume they are confident that key portions of the line can support 10k rate.
This has been discussed elsewhere both correctly and incorrectly.

Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Martin Viecha - Redburn (Europe) Ltd.

Hey. This is Martin. I have just two very quick questions. The first one is on the battery production for S and X. Is there any plan to move it to the Gigafactory?

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

For pack production.

Martin Viecha - Redburn (Europe) Ltd.

Yes.

(74:07) production? We do not – in the short term, we will not be moving it. So sometime next year, we may move it sometime next year in order to make space for additional production volume of Model 3. That's one of the things under consideration. But in the short term we're keeping it here in Fremont. But it is going be tricky to squeeze in all the space for increased Model 3 production. Particularly, if that run rate goes above 10,000 units a week then we're going to have to move more stuff out.

Musk actually stated on one of the ER calls (Q1 I think) that plan was more like the first option.
They will enhance the one line as needed to alleviate bottlenecks (verified once running closer to 5k I presume) so that the rate can achieve 10k.
I presume they are confident that key portions of the line can support 10k rate.
This has been discussed elsewhere both correctly and incorrectly.

My recollection was close.
It was Feb. 23, 2017 2016 Q4 CC question on capital needs to get from 5K of ramp phase 1 to 10K.

From 4048698-tesla-tsla-q4-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript article at seekingalpha

Yes, I mean, there's obviously going to be a fair bit of incremental investment to go from 5,000 cars a week to 10,000 cars a week, but it's going to be a lot less than getting to 5,000 cars a week in the first place. We don't know exactly what that's going to be except I'm confident it'll be less. Because the first thing we'll try to increase output is going back to rocket equation is to increase exit velocity of the line. And we don't know exactly where the trouble points (64:53) are going to be. We tried to model it out as carefully as possible, but there'll be things that aren't captured in the model.

But I think in a lot of cases, we'll simply be able to run the lines faster as opposed to duplicate the line. That's by far the best CapEx maneuver is just to make it go faster. But I would say it's going from 5,000 to 10,000 is probably – this is a total wild-ass guess, so (65:35) right way to think about, but it's like somewhere between 50% to 70% of the cost of the 5,000 line. Something like that.

If you're lucky and smart, 50% is only half the game, which obviously is pretty awesome from a CapEx standpoint. I can't imagine it being more than about 70% as much as there is. So, JB, what do you think?

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

So, it's not even as if we're starting from scratch to go from 5,000 to 10,000.

That's true. … You can spend 10% more and have twice as much capacity, and you're like, okay, sure. It's not great in the short-term, but it's obvious good thing in the long-term.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

(66:34) great efficiencies in the way to layout of facility, for instance, as there were at Gigafactory. So, we don't anticipate needing to build much new square footage, for instance, to go all the way to 10,000, even though we would be expanding the internal production lines while we speed them up and add new instances of production, but the Tesla CapEx would not be a one-to-one scaling, not even close.

My recollection was close.
It was Feb. 23, 2017 2016 Q4 CC question on capital needs to get from 5K of ramp phase 1 to 10K.
Elon Reeve Musk -

But I would say it's going from 5,000 to 10,000 is probably – this is a total wild-ass guess, so (65:35) right way to think about, but it's like somewhere between 50% to 70% of the cost of the 5,000 line. Something like that.
Elon's WAG of 50%-70% of the cost of the original line to double production sounds like a lot more than just speeding up the line. 70% is approaching the cost of just duplicating the thing, especially given the additional knowledge they will have gained.

Reactions: neroden
Elon's WAG of 50%-70% of the cost of the original line to double production sounds like a lot more than just speeding up the line. 70% is approaching the cost of just duplicating the thing, especially given the additional knowledge they will have gained.

Cherry pick much? True enough for that snippet, but the transcript also includes a wag of 10% which clearly isn't.
So a range of 10-70% is rather wide but somehow the narrative is that EM is never conservative. ;-)

The quote from JB also makes it very clear that they don't intend to double the floor space so it clearly isn't just replicating the line.
As others have said elsewhere on TMC, it is pretty clear they intend to replicate portions of the line.

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
Cherry pick much? True enough for that snippet, but the transcript also includes a wag of 10% which clearly isn't.
So a range of 10-70% is rather wide but somehow the narrative is that EM is never conservative. ;-)

The quote from JB also makes it very clear that they don't intend to double the floor space so it clearly isn't just replicating the line.
As others have said elsewhere on TMC, it is pretty clear they intend to replicate portions of the line.
Talk about cherry picking. 10% was mentioned as a hypothetical. Elon's estimate was 50%-70%. JB later said:
So, we don't anticipate needing to build much new square footage, for instance, to go all the way to 10,000, even though we would be expanding the internal production lines while we speed them up and add new instances of production
So they will be:
- adding some new square footage (to Fremont)
- expanding the internal production lines and speeding them up
- adding new instances of production

Technically, it will be the same "line". Just a lot longer. With more than half of it duplicated. Requiring expansion of the footprint at Fremont.

I'm just trying to point out that there will be a lot of work, capex and potential disruption to Model production in 2018 as they attempt to go from 5K to 10K.

One more thing regarding Andrea James: If there was ever a story developed on Tesla and its growth, I think Jessica Chastain would be a perfect person to play Andrea. Not only do their physical appearances match pretty close, but Jessica's voice and cadence are similar to Andrea's. Anyway.....haha, just had to throw this out there and see if anyone else sees it.....

Reactions: erthquake and JRP3
Talk about cherry picking. 10% was mentioned as a hypothetical. Elon's estimate was 50%-70%. JB later said:

So they will be:
- adding some new square footage (to Fremont)
- expanding the internal production lines and speeding them up
- adding new instances of production

Technically, it will be the same "line". Just a lot longer. With more than half of it duplicated. Requiring expansion of the footprint at Fremont.

I'm just trying to point out that there will be a lot of work, capex and potential disruption to Model production in 2018 as they attempt to go from 5K to 10K.
Probably not. The will be speeding up sections of the line where that's sufficient. Where it's not they will be adding parallel sections. Why would that create potential for disruption?

Last edited:
I would be extremely negative on a car which you could only open with a smartphone -- I don't even own a smartphone -- but the credit card key is genius. Much easier than futzing about with a fob. We already have lots of cards in wallets and card holders of various sorts. It's like a fob but it weighs less, is more compact, and doesn't have an internal battery.

I really hate the giant model S/X fobs. They are big, and because there is no keyring, you have to use a carrier which makes it even bigger. Then it's big and finicky to get it to work. And WAY too often, I sit down in the car and it is squeezed in my pocket, registering as a triple-click; closing all the doors. I have had people half in when suddenly they had to scramble. I really wish there was an option for a small, rectangular keyring with a few recessed buttons.

(from my weekly newsletter):

Tesla's Pace of Innovation
I've had my Model S (P85) for over 3 1/2 years now, and I still marvel at what an amazing car it is. However, even more impressive is how fast Tesla has innovated to make my car relatively obsolete. Sure, my P85 is still a great car but it doesn't have Autopilot 2.0 or AWD. And while it was the fastest Model S available when I got it, now even Tesla's base model S is almost as quick (0-60 mph).

When I think about what's driving this aggressive pace of innovation, I find myself attributing much of the source to Tesla's management. Elon and his team are pushing the envelope on innovation, and are constantly challenging the status quo and what people think is not possible. There are definitely certain risks in pushing the envelope too fast, but so far Tesla has navigating that balancing act rather well.

When compared to the competition, Tesla is in a pack by itself. There is no other auto maker that I'm aware of that's innovating as fast as Tesla or pushing the envelope as aggressively. Sure there are startups that are innovating quickly, but once a company starts delivering cars at scale most companies tend to err on being overly conservative. But in Tesla's case, even with thousands and thousands of cars delivered, they keep iterating and keep pushing out better technology.

This is the reason why I think that Tesla's biggest risks are not competition from existing auto makers. Rather, the biggest risks to Tesla lie in their own execution and supply chain. What if a major supplier has a plant burn down and it delays critical parts for 6 months? Or what if there's a major earthquake that hits Tesla's Fremont factory and Tesla is unable to produce cars for 3 months? Tesla still has bills to pay and it could cause a cash crisis.

Overall, I think Tesla can and will overcome the challenges ahead. And I don't think the future of Tesla has ever looked brighter. Just reflect on the pace of innovation... and enjoy the ride as Tesla releases more and more amazing products that delight their customers.

Last edited:
(from my weekly newsletter):

Tesla's Pace of Innovation
When I think about what's driving this aggressive pace of innovation, I find myself attributing much of the source to Tesla's management. Elon and his team are pushing the envelope on innovation, and are constantly challenging the status quo and what people think is not possible. There are definitely certain risks in pushing the envelope too fast, but so far Tesla has navigating that balancing act rather well.

When compared to the competition, Tesla is in a pack by itself. There is no other auto maker that I'm aware of that's innovating as fast as Tesla or pushing the envelope as aggressively. Sure there are startups that are innovating quickly, but once a company starts delivering cars at scale most companies tend to err on being overly conservative. But in Tesla's case, even with thousands and thousands of cars delivered, they keep iterating and keep pushing out better technology.

This is the reason why I think that Tesla's biggest risks are not competition from existing auto makers. Rather, the biggest risks to Tesla lie in their own execution and supply chain. What if a major supplier has a plant burn down and it delays critical parts for 6 months? Or what if there's a major earthquake that hits Tesla's Fremont factory and Tesla is unable to produce cars for 3 months? Tesla still has bills to pay and it could cause a cash crisis.
I believe that the only substantial risk is something happening to Elon and/or JB.

Earthquake in Bay Area is my concern. The next auto factory must be elsewhere--maybe along with a battery one in China after New Years.
It would take the mother of all earthquakes to take out or substantially damage the Fremont factory.

I was working in Sunnyvale during the last big quake. We jumped under a table and a friend who was outside said that he could see the entire building shifting sideways. No damage to that building. We had a bunch of broken glass at home. We started using earthquake latches on our kitchen cabinets as a result.

Last edited:
It would take the mother of all earthquakes to take out or substantially damage the Fremont factory.

I was working in Sunnyvale during the last big quake. We jumped under a table and a friend who was outside said that he could see the entire building shifting sideways. No damage to that building. We had a bunch of broken glass at home. We started using earthquake latches on our kitchen cabinets as a result.

My understanding that earthquake did nominal damage to the Fremont factory. Also a good sign.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi and TMSE
Status
Not open for further replies.