Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article states M3 maintenance costs highest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell, the article is based entirely on false information. They say:

As of today, Tesla's service plan page lists the following costs to maintain one of its vehicles. The plans were previously listed for individual models, but Tesla has changed the page to reflect all of its vehicles.

And the link points to a page that lists service prices for RWD Model S, AWD Model S and Model X (all of which are different). The rest of the article appears to quote Model S service prices as though they are Model 3 service prices.

Edit: I notice in the comments that somebody pointed that out to the author and he acknowledges his mistake. Why the article remains posted when it is meaningless false information is beyond me.

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions, but the quoted data makes the point :
Tesla Model 3 Maintenance Costs May Be Higher Than ICE Cars | Torque News

Now, while I don't have to follow Tesla's recommended maintenance schedule, why do they set themselves up for an article like this?

Tesla doesn't "set themselves up" for anything. That's biased FUD article, nothing more. BMW builds the cost of the maintenance plan into the MSRP. Also, let's compare maintenance costs after six years, when that BMW ICE engine/drivetrain starts to wear down. And um, finally, fuel costs anyone?!

Reactions: D-egg-O
With an EV, would the service intervals be based more on mileage than on time? My planned usage will be half the mileage they show for the time periods.
Funny, mine is almost double. Tesla is very clear that the recommended maintenance should happen according to either mileage or time, which ever comes first. You would need recommended services due to time. I would need recommended services due to mileage.

I am going to throw the BS flag on this one from my own personal experience.

I prepaid for "Audi Care", which I believe was $750-$800 at the time of my car purchase.

The services, if purchased separately, would have been well over $1950 for the first 4 years (the ~$900 35,000 mile service is where they get you).

Conveniently though, this article doesn't compare prices with Audi. Cherry picked numbers are cherry picked.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Why do you even link to an article that has no data from M3? At best you're helping click baiting, at worst you're spreading FUD.
Hey FUD claimers, while the service plan quoted is for the S, have you seen evidence that anything other than the base price of the Model 3 is significantly cheaper than the rest of the stable? The recommended costs are directly from Tesla, how do you claim FUD?

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
With an EV, would the service intervals be based more on mileage than on time? My planned usage will be half the mileage they show for the time periods.

Some service items like fluid changes are called for after either time or miles. Other items such as cabin air filters likely don't have to be changed until they are dirty.

The bottom line is that if you do the Tesla scheduled maintenance it will probably cost you more over a 3-5 year period than it would cost to get normal service done on an ICE cars. ICE cars, even fancy German ones, don't need much in the way of service for the first 5 years of ownership.

EV maintenance cost savings would start to even out when you get into years 7,8,9,10 when an ICE car starts to need more expensive service items such as transmission fluid changes, valve timing adjustments and replacement of timing belts and other things.

If Model 3 has similar maintenance costs to Model S then after eight years you will have spent somewhere around $4000 on "maintenance" not including tires. The car will also have less range than it did when new.... perhaps down to about 85-90% of the range it originally did.

The hypothetical BMW needs service items in years 4-8 (first 3 years are covered) that owners would pay for out of pocket. Costs on those will vary but will be less than $4,000 unless something majorly goes wrong and of course on the Tesla there are also things that could fail out of warranty that would be out of pocket expenses... the super expensive NVIDIA computer and the electric motor come to mind as potential problem children.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of the above does not factor in the cost savings of electricity vs fuel. Unfortunately fuel prices are quite elastic and electricity prices only go up over time not down (to date) so that's a little harder to predict with any accuracy.

Hey FUD claimers, while the service plan quoted is for the S, have you seen evidence that anything other than the base price of the Model 3 is significantly cheaper than the rest of the stable? The recommended costs are directly from Tesla, how do you claim FUD?

Since the Model S service prices are significantly cheaper than the Model X, why wouldn't the Model 3 be cheaper than the Model S? You certainly can't claim you know it won't be. Taking an unknown and turning it into a fear is pretty much the definition of FUD.

Since the Model S service prices are significantly cheaper than the Model X, why wouldn't the Model 3 be cheaper than the Model S? You certainly can't claim you know it won't be.
I don't know. I am hopeful that tesla decides to have a significantly reduced maintenance cost over the S or X. But, fundamentally I'm not sure why it would be cheaper unless they have designed it for that exact reason (ie. Does the AC not require desiccant replacement? Or does the gearbox not require fluid replacement? Alignment?) Seems unlikely that the 3 would be significantly different from the S...

Reactions: Scannerman
How about upgrading M3 from 50-75D vs upgrading MS from 75-100D? cheaper cars means cheaper parts means cheaper maintenance. Have you seen any evidence that Tesla will charge the same for M3 maintenance when they charge differently for MS RWD vs MS AWD vs MX? Your argument is so weak it's hitting the ground with the sound that rhymes with FUD.

How about upgrading M3 from 50-75D vs upgrading MS from 75-100D? cheaper cars means cheaper parts means cheaper maintenance. Have you seen any evidence that Tesla will charge the same for M3 maintenance when they charge differently for MS RWD vs MS AWD vs MX? Your argument is so weak it's hitting the ground with the sound that rhymes with FUD.
I'll see your battery upgrade and raise you one EAP.

upload_2017-8-29_13-25-42.png

• Informative
Reactions: DR61