Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called my local Tesla Store at Mission Viejo and was told that existing owners or those who ordered the Model X can reserve the Model 3 on March 31st online! Others will have to wait until April 1st or order at the store.

I called my local Tesla Store at Mission Viejo and was told that existing owners or those who ordered the Model X can reserve the Model 3 on March 31st online! Others will have to wait until April 1st or order at the store.
I think the person you spoke to conveyed incorrect information. I do not believe that Tesla will give preferential Model 3 referential treatment to X owners or reservation holders. That makes no sense at all.

There will almost certainly be lines at some stores.

Perhaps in the US, but over here, I don't see that happening at all. As others have said, spending 40K Euro on a car is something completely different to spending a couple of hundred for an iPhone. Plus, the majority of people over here has never even heard of Tesla, let alone would think about "reserving" a car years in advance. Some die-hard fans notwithstanding.

Why would there be lines anyway? It's not as if whoever makes her/his deposit first gets her/his car first, is it?

Last edited:
It certainly moves you closer to the front of the line. 60% of the people taking this pole say they are going to the stores. There will almost certainly be lines at some stores.

I wouldn't extrapolate 60% to all the people who will be registering. Also, only a small handful of everyone registering will be a diehard fan who will get to the store at/before opening. I envision lots of people just strolling in when they get a chance, lunch break, after work, etc. and the vast majority of them just going online the next day and placing a deposit.

But that 60% amounts to just over 200 people. That averages out to about 2 people per store. That's not to say that only 2 will be at each store but I'm thinking you might see a dozen or so except for in California, Chicago, NYC and maybe Boston. But what do I know?

I think the person you spoke to conveyed incorrect information. I do not believe that Tesla will give preferential Model 3 referential treatment to X owners or reservation holders. That makes no sense at all.
I think you're misreading his statement. I think the store meant all existing owners of a Tesla (Roadster, Model S, or Model X) and anyone with a Model X on order would get to order early. This could be their way of allowing existing owner preference without keeping separate reservation lists like they did with Model S (haven't paid attention to Model X).

I have to admit the guy I spoke with sounded confused.

He said all Tesla owners and those who ordered the Model X can order early, not just Model X.

I wouldn't extrapolate 60% to all the people who will be registering.

I agree it won't be a direct correlation, but we've already seen reports of non diehards talking about going to the stores early to reserve. As I've said before, for each of the 100K + Tesla's on the road today, how many people do you think have been waiting for the Model 3? If only 10% of those people go to stores that would be thousands of people.

I agree it won't be a direct correlation, but we've already seen reports of non diehards talking about going to the stores early to reserve. As I've said before, for each of the 100K + Tesla's on the road today, how many people do you think have been waiting for the Model 3? If only 10% of those people go to stores that would be thousands of people.

I am truly interested to see, how many folks will wait in line to put $1000 down, on an unseen and unadvertised car, that they'll have to wait 20+ months for an uncertain delivery.
I realized those 34,000+ who are register for this forum are candidates for the waiting line, but if I had the "price of admission" for a Model S or Model X, I'd be hiring someone to stand-in line for me :biggrin:

I may have not made my point clear. I'm not talking about the 100K current Tesla owners, though a percentage of them certainly will be getting a 3, I'm saying that for every Tesla vehicle on the road there is some number of people who do not own a Tesla who want one. I'd say 10 per car on the conservative side to maybe 1000 per car, either way, X 100K it's a lot of people.

I am truly interested to see, how many folks will wait in line to put $1000 down, on an unseen and unadvertised car, that they'll have to wait 20+ months for an uncertain delivery.
I realized those 34,000+ who are register for this forum are candidates for the waiting line, but if I had the "price of admission" for a Model S or Model X, I'd be hiring someone to stand-in line for me :biggrin:

I'd bet more than you think. As an anecdotal story, I told my mom and stepdad that we're placing a deposit on the 3 once it comes out.

They said to send them the link, and they'll be placing a deposit for themselves too. I was shocked. They're not.... tech savvy people. But they both loving driving my S whenever I visit, that they're willing to blindly put $1k down for two years, sight unseen, not knowing the final specs or final cost.

I may have not made my point clear. I'm not talking about the 100K current Tesla owners, though a percentage of them certainly will be getting a 3, I'm saying that for every Tesla vehicle on the road there is some number of people who do not own a Tesla who want one. I'd say 10 per car on the conservative side to maybe 1000 per car, either way, X 100K it's a lot of people.

So how many potential Model 3 purchases really know about the M3 reveal and reservation opening this month? I would for a large Aerospace company in the Seattle area. In my office of 16 engineers, over half of whom are under 30 years old and very tech savvy, several own BMW 3-series, and a Prius owners. However, I'm the only one who even knows that Tesla has a reveal this month, let alone any details of the Model 3.

So for other on this forum, how many folks who drive ICE even know that Tesla offering an affordable EV and that it's reveal/pre-orders are starting? In my circle of friends and co-workers, most folks didn't know about Tesla until they started seeing the Model S on the road a couple years ago, and I guessing they won't know about the Model 3 until they see it in ads, news, or on the road.