Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we ever going to get ChadeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What reason would Tesla have for keeping this disabled. It makes no sense.
I couldn't help but laugh at your inverted phrasing for this. You're talking about it as if it would just automatically enable itself but for the dedicated team of programmers working overtime to continually put roadblocks in place to prevent that from slipping through! I'm sure it's quite the opposite--that there would need to be some work done to make it happen, and it's just not important enough for them to assign anyone to do it.

Is it just a matter of enabling it or is there some technical challenge? Weird.

I have followed this discussion closely, and it seems to be full of question marks. What I have heard/seen:

1. Tesla staff confirmed it's coming. (around the time of M3 release)
2. The Chademo adapter is listed in the official parts catalog for the Model 3, same part number as the S/X adapter, but "Revision D". Current adapter owners have reported they have "Revision C". Worth noting the official parts catalog for S and X also list "Revision D".
3. The adapter itself may need a firmware/software update, only done at service centers.
4. There has been a significant worldwide shift to CCS since the original adapter came out. It's possible Tesla is re-thinking what they want to do here.

If I look at all of those together, I think one of the following:
1. Firmware for adapter is still being tested.
2. Rather than releasing adapters in the wild that won't work without the update, they are selling old stock and new adapters will come with the right firmware from the factory.
3. Testing M3 + New firmware/adapter is a low priority. We have seen a ton of software updates since the 3 was released, albeit those are slowing in frequency now, which is a good sign for Chademo support I'd wager.
4. The M3 fob was released without much warning, other than we knew it was coming "soon". We could see the same here.

It's important to keep in mind that the original adapter took a long time to come out for the S and X as well, with extensive testing.

I happen to live in a jurisdiction with plentiful Chademo (and now CCS) charging infrastructure. I'd buy the adapter in a heartbeat, or share the cost with a friend who has an M3. It's one of the things I'm really missing about the car to date.

In my experience the Chademo is a waste of money. I bought one for my Model S and have tried to use it only twice, and both times it failed to charge. With the growing supercharger network and home charging I don’t need it and would be happy to sell it to a Tesla owner who does.
I have one buried in the trunk of my S. I have successfully used it twice and now the location I used it at both time has a Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
In my experience the Chademo is a waste of money. I bought one for my Model S and have tried to use it only twice, and both times it failed to charge. With the growing supercharger network and home charging I don’t need it and would be happy to sell it to a Tesla owner who does.
I'm glad you qualified that by saying "in my experience." Because your experience is not universal. I have two friends who use CHAdeMo almost exclusively because they live in an urban environment where home charging is not an option, but there is a reliable CHAdeMO station a block away. I own 1/4 of a CHAdeMO adapter, shared with 3 other owners, and we share it for road trips. It has come in handy several times, allowing me to charge at the hotel while having breakfast instead of making a supercharger stop. If support ever arrives for the CHAdeMO adapter in the Model 3, then I would happily buy yours.

I signed up for twitter 2 days ago for the express purpose of tweeting Elon and Tesla about this. Alas, no response. I urge the rest of you to take to twitter because that seems to be the only thing Elon listens to.

Edit: @artsci remember the organized road trip to Williamsburg a couple years ago? I did that with @Btrflyl8e and it was one of the instances where we used the CHAdeMO adapter. We charged at our hotel in Newport News, relieving some of the burden on the infrastructure at the host hotel.

Reactions: KJD
YMMV of course. If the 3 gets adapter support for the existing adapters out there, I'll happily buy one as well. I live in an area with good Chademo support. Often the chargers are free as well. It's a perfect "fast charge" for a quick stop. There are some superchargers around, but they bill per minute here, which is an annoying experience and I'm always clock-watching when I plug in and walk away.

Don't ruin my logic with facts!!!:rolleyes:

That aside, the J1772 is a universal enough standard that I think it should be the one alternative to the Tesla connector in the USA, at least until CCS replaces everything on every supercharger and every car.

Except that's not the reality of what's available. CHAdeMO is fairly well deployed in quite a few areas and it's extremely limiting in some markets to not have that capability on the Model 3. Why would I prefer to charge slow when the ability to charge fast is there and the only thing stopping that from happening is an update to an already existing adapter? That's just ridiculous.

Except that's not the reality of what's available. CHAdeMO is fairly well deployed in quite a few areas and it's extremely limiting in some markets to not have that capability on the Model 3. Why would I prefer to charge slow when the ability to charge fast is there and the only thing stopping that from happening is an update to an already existing adapter? That's just ridiculous.

Hey come on now, we're getting important priority updates like fart noises!

so i had a random thought as to a possibility as to why chademo doesn't work right now even though it doesn't appear to be any real technical reason (at least on the surface).

Tesla probably knew early on that the model 3 was going to go CCS in Europe, thus they needed to program the car to not allow Chademo charging over the Type 2 port when using the adapter. to keep things simple (and since they didn't need to worry about such an adapter anyways till Japan) they decided to keep the codebase simple and just not allow Chademo charging at all across the board. later on when they really need to they can put in the appropriate safeguards to ensure only NA Model 3's can do chademo with the appropriate adapter.

(Could be a similar reason as to why youyou's model 3 didn't supercharge even with their fabricated adapter, perhaps there's code somewhere to not allow supercharging over the Type 2 connector for Model 3's and since they had a Type 2-> NA converter, so it saw it like it was a Model 3 trying to supercharge on Type 2 and disallowed it).

Of course it could be just a simple as it's not a priority (and honestly I think that's the simpler explanation), but I'm just tossing that out there.

THERE ARE HUGE DIFFERENCES IN INFRASTRUCTURE ACROSS NORTH AMERICA

Many people who form opinions, comment, and make decisions based on a lack of DC Fast Charging (CCS/ChaDeMo) in their area have trouble understanding how different it is in Quebec. We have only 2 metropolitan areas and 12 Tesla Superchargers 7 of them are outside the Montreal area. This is a large province with many remote rural communities and severe winter weather. As stated in the quote below from earlier this year, there are over 130 DCFCs now and soon up to 1600 DCFCs will be built. Not having access to DCFC here is almost as limiting as driving a Hydrogen-Fuelled vehicle in Los Angeles. The severe winter requires more frequent charging and complicates trip planning. Having access to only 1/10th of the fast-chargers is extremely limiting here.

Going by the March 31, 2018 figures, Quebec had a total of nearly 24,695 EVs. The province is aiming at increasing the number of EVs to 100,000 in 2020, 300,000 in 2026, and 1 million in 2030.

In order to lay down an efficient EV charging infrastructure to cater to the potential increase in EV numbers in the coming years, Quebec -- which presently has nearly 130 DCFCs -- is targeting the addition of 1,600 DCFCs over the next decade.

With regard to the new law for establishing public DCFC in Quebec, Moreau said: “In order to attain our objectives, it is imperative that Quebec installs a DCFC network.”

Here you go. Model 3 launch second half of 2019 for Japan.

Tesla Launches Model 3 In Japan: First Deliveries In Late 2019

Given that Tesla has a Supercharger network in Japan, they’ll probably continue to go with an adapter for Chademo. So, expect Chademo support towards the middle of next year.

The giant charge flap on the Model 3 was clearly set up for CCS, the addition of an identical flap for a CHAdeMO on the opposite side of the car would allow a fully-integrated solution for the Japanese market. I think this is more likely for that market than an adapter.

The giant charge flap on the Model 3 was clearly set up for CCS, the addition of an identical flap for a CHAdeMO on the opposite side of the car would allow a fully-integrated solution for the Japanese market. I think this is more likely for that market than an adapter.
I would agree with you except for the fact that they already have an adapter. It makes much more sense to just add the software to the Model 3 that will allow it to use the existing adapter.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
I would agree with you except for the fact that they already have an adapter. It makes much more sense to just add the software to the Model 3 that will allow it to use the existing adapter.

While I agree that the adapter will probably be available at some point, I expect the Japanese market Model 3 to have its own CHAdeMO inlet and therefore don’t see the car’s launch as a solid indicator for adapter timing.

While I agree that the adapter will probably be available at some point, I expect the Japanese market Model 3 to have its own CHAdeMO inlet and therefore don’t see the car’s launch as a solid indicator for adapter timing.
Japanese Superchargers also use the North American Tesla inlet, so the car must have that. I don't think they will put a direct CHAdeMO inlet on the car because it would involve more contactors, which Tesla avoided by going CCS on the European Model 3. For Japan, they have all the pieces, they just need to make the old adapter work. In addition, Japan is different than Europe because there are very few CHAdeMO chargers over 50kW in Japan while there are growing numbers of high power CCS being deployed today in Europe.

There are a few long stretches on the transcanadian with no supercharger.
It would be great to have a chademo adapter !

Agreed. I looked back a little to see if there was an answer to the one query but didn’t see it. Is there a technical reason they wouldn’t do it? I’m not up on this stuff but it seems to me that if it can be done on the S why not the 3.

I tend to lean towards some kind of corporate strategy. Really have no idea.

Reactions: eprosenx