Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love cars with feminine curves. Trucks too. The Chevrolet SSR was a truck I was saving up to buy because Chevy was saying that it would cost around $26K which was already outside what I could afford at the time. And its MSRP was over $40k when it finally came out.
I'm buying the cyber(nota)truck to see out of it, not see it.

There you go:
1699392808377.png

I think there are 3 customers for trucks:
  1. Work trucks: general contractors, landscaping businesses, etc. Many if not most are stripped models without a crew cab. I doubt the Cybertruck will appeal to many of them.
  2. Personal trucks for "truck stuff": hauling lots of gear (bikes, snowmobiles), hitching a trailer or 5th wheel. Cybertruck might appeal to some, but only when the hauling capacity works well enough for their needs. Otherwise, will buy traditional trucks.
  3. Lifestyle trucks: men (primarily) who want to look cool driving a big truck. The Cybertruck will appeal to some of them.
Personally, if I really wanted an EV truck, I would consider the R1T, especially if/when they support Tesla charging. Hell would freeze over before I would buy a Cybertruck: it's impractical, huge and fugly. But I am definitely not a 'truck guy'. Even my MX is a bigger vehicle than I prefer - driving the M3P is so much more enjoyable.

1. Work trucks: general contractors, landscaping businesses, etc. Many if not most are stripped models without a crew cab. I doubt the Cybertruck will appeal to many of them.
  2. Personal trucks for "truck stuff": hauling lots of gear (bikes, snowmobiles), hitching a trailer or 5th wheel. Cybertruck might appeal to some, but only when the hauling capacity works well enough for their needs. Otherwise, will buy traditional trucks.
  3. Lifestyle trucks: men (primarily) who want to look cool driving a big truck. The Cybertruck will appeal to some of them.
Personally, if I really wanted an EV truck, I would consider the R1T, especially if/when they support Tesla charging. Hell would freeze over before I would buy a Cybertruck: it's impractical, huge and fugly. But I am definitely not a 'truck guy'. Even my MX is a bigger vehicle than I prefer - driving the M3P is so much more enjoyable.
4. Tesla fans who want a highway cruiser and like the looks and functionality (noting lack of Tesla SUV or van). ✋

Reactions: SMLBound
Most of the trucks that fall into #1 are fleet units. The guy driving them don’t own or make decisions for what they are driving. Availability is the driving factor for this right now as thousands of companies want to get new trucks but cannot find them. Short term, CT won’t be available either, but say in 5 years, if a company can choose between 2 trucks (CT and an ICE) the total cost of ownership will be the driving force as well as availability. Charging will be better and more available then, as will CT fleet options. It won’t happen today but they have a great opportunity to dominate the segment in the near future. And Ford and Dodge know this and are scrambling already.

Most of the trucks that fall into #1 are fleet units. The guy driving them don’t own or make decisions for what they are driving. Availability is the driving factor for this right now as thousands of companies want to get new trucks but cannot find them. Short term, CT won’t be available either, but say in 5 years, if a company can choose between 2 trucks (CT and an ICE) the total cost of ownership will be the driving force as well as availability. Charging will be better and more available then, as will CT fleet options. It won’t happen today but they have a great opportunity to dominate the segment in the near future. And Ford and Dodge know this and are scrambling already.
A key difference is the tradeoff between bed capacity and cab size: personal trucks tend to have shorter beds with crew cabs, while work trucks tend to have longer beds with regular or extended cabs. That said, I find it interesting that Ford, which aggressively markets to commercial fleet customers, (currently) only offers the F-150 Lightning with a crew cab. It remains to see whether Tesla or Ford or others will offer electric pickups with a larger bed capacity.

Looks are subjective. Personally, I think it looks ridiculous. From a practical standpoint, how are insurance carriers going to accept it. If the truck is dented or in an accident, I think the repair cost will be prohibitively expensive. The stainless will be impossible to straighten and will show every imperfection. Plus, it’s not painted so you can’t fill any waves in the surface. I think it will be a niche vehicle and not widely produced. I love my Y and would buy a Tesla Truck that is more practical and normal in appearance.

I never liked the cyber(nota)truck's looks. But I did appreciate and swallow all the BS that Tesla raved about concerning form follows function...only to watch Elon keep the form and drop the functionality. The only increase in functionality is they rubberized the bed instead of that completely Stainless steel box floor. It was lunacy to even start with that slick floor with slits cut in it. I should have called their BS then.