Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return policy on Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
What’s the deal with returns currently? This thing is supposed to be for my wife. She loved it on photos and video. She just saw a matte black on one the road and didn’t love it. She did see it from the back/side and not the best look at it. I have a VIN so it’s coming soon. I know that an R1T, which she loves the look of, is a much better choice but the Cybertruck is just so cool. If we get it and she hates it for whatever reason, then what? I don’t want to lose the ability to get new Teslas in the future. Do you need a reason to sell it back to Tesla? If they say no then I can flip it? Granted by the time we would potentially sell it, it may be for a loss. I just don’t want to be stuck with something that’s not ideal for my wife because of cool factor. Thank you!

Return policy? Unless your state has consumer laws related to a cooling off period, Tesla has long gotten rid of any type of return policy. Once you open that door and drive it off, it’s yours.

Makes me wonder… does any state still have a state-mandated cooling off period related to auto purchases? 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: CyberShy
Right everyone. But usually if I don’t like it I can just sell it. This it seems we can’t do that so it’s complicated. And it seems Tesla wants it back if we were to not want it, that’s why I used the “return” language.

We have a nine year old boy who’s a fantastic kid but would probably stab me if we are this close to getting a Cybertruck but then not getting it. 😂 jk of course.

Yeah the R1T makes the most rational sense, so long as they don’t go bankrupt, but I have a passion for cars and rational and passion don’t often go hand in hand.

Due to such demand for the truck,your VIN can be passed to the next person in line as long as you do not take physical possession. Technically you do not have to pay for the truck until you inspect it at the SC ( a few reporting at the other site brought certified checks on the day of pick-up) I would recommend you find one on display and do a good go-around before you commit.

I’d take the $1k loss and move on unless you want to be stuck that something that’s dropping in value day by day

IMG_1183.jpeg

Here’s one person trying to get Tesla to buy it back and they told him NO

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
You can offer it to Tesla for them to buy it back, and if they refuse, you are allowed to sell it. You should definitely take delivery of the cyber truck because if they refuse to buy it back, You will make a *sugar* ton of money.
Not quite. If you have unforseen circumstances then you can request Tesla to euther buy it back or allow resale.
For Cybertruck Only You understand and acknowledge that the Cybertruck will first be released in limited quantity. You agree that you will not sell or otherwise attempt to sell the Vehicle within the first year following your Vehicle’s delivery date. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you must sell the Vehicle within the first year following its delivery date for any unforeseen reason, and Tesla agrees that your reason warrants an exception to its no reseller policy, you agree to notify Tesla in writing and give Tesla reasonable time to purchase the Vehicle from you at its sole discretion and at the purchase price listed on your Final Price Sheet less $0.25/mile driven, reasonable wear and tear, and the cost to repair the Vehicle to Tesla’s Used Vehicle Cosmetic and Mechanical Standards. If Tesla declines to purchase your Vehicle, you may then resell your Vehicle to a third party only after receiving written consent from Tesla. You agree that in the event you breach this provision, or Tesla has reasonable belief that you are about to breach this provision, Tesla may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of title of the Vehicle or demand liquidated damages from you in the amount of $50,000 or the value received as consideration for the sale or transfer, whichever is greater. Tesla may also refuse to sell you any future vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
So currently someone posted on another Tesla forum that they were unhappy with quality as the reason and Tesla's response did not deny the repurchase and release the owner. They worded it as "Quality issues" don't qualify as a reason for repurchasing pursuant to the agreement. Tesla is correct, quality issues would be lemon law. Really the only way to get out of the Truck is stated in the agreement. hardship, loss of job and or medical related issues. All must be document to get approval.

Like others have said, Get the R1T you will be really happy. We had a CT order in for foundation series, got a chance to demo one and my wife said Hell no. got the R1T QM and could not be happier.

I’d take the $1k loss and move on unless you want to be stuck that something that’s dropping in value day by day

View attachment 1033904

Here’s one person trying to get Tesla to buy it back and they told him NO

Buyers are very well informed about taking a chance on buying a CT with a no resale clause. Will TESLA honor warranty issues ect? Sure these trucks will depreciate in time. However, demand is still strong; they are only at the RN113xxxx invites for orders. This indicates that buyers are cautious not to fall into a potential trap buying those purportedly for sale outside the Tesla order platform. I am buying mine to enjoy realizing that EVs are a depreciating commodity.

What’s the deal with returns currently? This thing is supposed to be for my wife. She loved it on photos and video. She just saw a matte black on one the road and didn’t love it. She did see it from the back/side and not the best look at it. I have a VIN so it’s coming soon. I know that an R1T, which she loves the look of, is a much better choice but the Cybertruck is just so cool. If we get it and she hates it for whatever reason, then what? I don’t want to lose the ability to get new Teslas in the future. Do you need a reason to sell it back to Tesla? If they say no then I can flip it? Granted by the time we would potentially sell it, it may be for a loss. I just don’t want to be stuck with something that’s not ideal for my wife because of cool factor. Thank you!
Tesla has a solution, consistent with Elon's policy.
They will let you return your wife.