Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music problems-Sometimes won't play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reported this to Tesla in a service request. Got a call back that the Select media source problem is a known bug engineering is working on getting a fix for in firmware.
Good to have this confirmed. I do get the pops and very brief drops. Seems to be when I am shifting gears or signaling a lane change. I think unfortunately the Intel processors are showing their age really quickly.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
"same issue"... I have a 2022 M3LR with the latest software (as of this posting) 12.9.1.
It seems that the solution is to 'Reboot" (double button reset).
Once I've reset the system, the left scroll button press, does start the last song being played.
This seems that tis is a bit extreme for an app...

Same issue. I had another issue I was getting looked at in the service center so I asked them to look into the Apple Music issue. When I got the car back, the note from the service team was basically “all good here - no problems.” I went back and forth with them for a couple days in the app. They told me that a fix for the Apple Music issue will be coming in a future firmware update. How long will that be? Did they just say that to get me off their backs? \_(ツ)_/¯

I found a free 3 months of Spotify and I’ve been using that until Apple Music is working properly again. I have Apple One and so I’m not interested in full-switching to Spotify.

Reactions: ss71
I have had the issue of "select audio source" when I get back into my car, and I have found that if I press the left scroll wheel button, the music starts from the last song/podcast and last source (Apple Music... etc).
This works for me also. I think it even matters the order you do it. Don’t start a song from Apple Music app then try the play BUT instead, just press the left scroll wheel and get it playing and then go into the Apple Music app to change songs or albums.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned in here or not, but I’m thinking the owners with the more excessive Apple Music issues and have to fix by logging out and logging back in, have vehicles with the Intel processor. Owners with AMD processors have the less severe issues and can fix by switching source or adjust the scroll wheel.

Reactions: ss71
We’re talking about a web app that plays audio. The processor shouldn’t matter. By excluding CarPlay and Android Auto, Telsa put it on themselves to handle audio right. Audio is a crucial part of the driving experience.

Apple would never admit their api is flawed and Telsa only responds with poop emoji. So owners have to sit around frustrated, celebrating scroll wheel and FSD updates but unable to enjoy audio because we chose to use Apple Music.

Sure; there’s always Bluetooth, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose? One reason I don’t mind not having CarPlay is because my phone can just sit and charge and not drain battery from providing the car with entertainment. My car handles all the entertainment on its own - or it would. If it worked properly,

We’re talking about a web app that plays audio. The processor shouldn’t matter. By excluding CarPlay and Android Auto, Telsa put it on themselves to handle audio right. Audio is a crucial part of the driving experience.

Apple would never admit their api is flawed and Telsa only responds with poop emoji. So owners have to sit around frustrated, celebrating scroll wheel and FSD updates but unable to enjoy audio because we chose to use Apple Music.

Sure; there’s always Bluetooth, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose? One reason I don’t mind not having CarPlay is because my phone can just sit and charge and not drain battery from providing the car with entertainment. My car handles all the entertainment on its own - or it would. If it worked properly,
Processor absolutely matters when driving a tablet on wheels. Intel’s Atom processors were always garbage, so it’s just a thought that the more serious issues could lie there.

If the API was flawed, or further deep rooted issues in Tesla’s software, then everyone would have these issues, they don’t. I had a few issue a month or so ago, but it’s been perfect since. So it made sense to look at what’s changed hardware wise, and why it works for some and not others.

The CarPlay/AndroidAuto would have been nice to have. But Tesla makes money off a subscription service, so it makes sense why they don’t have it. If they would provide a free way to circumvent their subscription, then there would be no reason for anyone to buy said subscription.

Processor absolutely matters when driving a tablet on wheels. Intel’s Atom processors were always garbage, so it’s just a thought that the more serious issues could lie there.

If the API was flawed, or further deep rooted issues in Tesla’s software, then everyone would have these issues, they don’t. I had a few issue a month or so ago, but it’s been perfect since. So it made sense to look at what’s changed hardware wise, and why it works for some and not others.

The CarPlay/AndroidAuto would have been nice to have. But Tesla makes money off a subscription service, so it makes sense why they don’t have it. If they would provide a free way to circumvent their subscription, then there would be no reason for anyone to buy said subscription.

Your theory just doesn’t compute.

Look at all the entertainment software that works fine. Video, Games, other Music apps. If it was the processor, then these other apps would struggle also.

You think an Intel processor can run all that software and FSD, but for some reason Apple Music is just too much computing power for the processor to handle? It just doesn’t add up. Any processor-related consistencies are unlikely to be due to the Intel’s inability to execute the code.

Just got a free 6 months subscription to Apple Music so thought I’d try it out. I don’t get why I’d want to pay a subscription forever vs buy and keep what I like a-la cart as I have done for decades but still, we must try stuff before passing opinion…
So far I’m not impressed not least of which because I have the same problem as everyone else, log in, works fine. Park the car up at work, get back in at the end of the day and I get the “select media” prompt and can’t play anything in Apple Music. Left scroll wheel does nothing, I have to log out if the so and back in, then it works. Same thing the next morning.
Maybe Tesla isn’t storing the Auth token properly?
So far the old school method of thousands of songs I like on a usb stick is winning…

"same issue"... I have a 2022 M3LR with the latest software (as of this posting) 12.9.1.
It seems that the solution is to 'Reboot" (double button reset).
Once I've reset the system, the left scroll button press, does start the last song being played.
This seems that tis is a bit extreme for an app...
Have you tried opening up the audio equalizer, tapping sources, turning off Apple Music for two seconds, then turning Apple Music back on? It works for me every single time and only takes a few seconds.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezla041