Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music problems-Sometimes won't play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 M3LR here. For the last month or so, I have been having problems with Apple Music on my M3LR. When I start the car with Apple Music selected, the icons for play, next song, etc. are greyed out, and the play icon is replaced with "Select Media Source". I choose Apple music, and I get the usual display, showing the stations, etc. I have listened to recently. If I choose my Favorites channel, the songs show up, but the play icon is greyed out, and the songs won't play. If I choose any other source in Apple Music, it acts like I chose it, but the play icon is still greyed out, and no music plays.

Things I have tried: Logging in and out of Apple Music. This worked for about a day.
Rebooting the Tesla OS (Pushing both wheels on steering wheel) made things somewhat better, in that sometimes Apple Music works normally, and sometimes it acts as described above. Anyone else seen this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: treker
2022 M3LR here. For the last month or so, I have been having problems with Apple Music on my M3LR. When I start the car with Apple Music selected, the icons for play, next song, etc. are greyed out, and the play icon is replaced with "Select Media Source". I choose Apple music, and I get the usual display, showing the stations, etc. I have listened to recently. If I choose my Favorites channel, the songs show up, but the play icon is greyed out, and the songs won't play. If I choose any other source in Apple Music, it acts like I chose it, but the play icon is still greyed out, and no music plays.

Things I have tried: Logging in and out of Apple Music. This worked for about a day.
Rebooting the Tesla OS (Pushing both wheels on steering wheel) made things somewhat better, in that sometimes Apple Music works normally, and sometimes it acts as described above. Anyone else seen this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.
I had a whole slew of issues with mine. Are you experiencing clicks, pops, and other noises, particularly when in reverse? My MCU got replaced last weekend all seems to work much better now. Keep a log of your time stamps when the issues occur. Have you rebooted?

Same issue on my 2023 M3P with Apple Music - I find the double-button-hold screen reset is what ultimately is most effective at resolving. I a
I've done the double-button screen reset. It helped, but I am still seeing the problem. In fact, it just got worse. I bring up Apple Music, but all the options are gone. Just a list of other media sources. It appears it's not even interacting with Apple Music now.

Same issue with my 2020M3LR and latest software.
Only thing that fixes it temporarily is to log out and log back in. Then it works for a day or less. Keep getting “Select media source”.
However I can play Apple Music through my phone Bluetooth like the old days🤔

Reactions: jqworle
So, I guess I'm not the only one who has seen this. I first tried logging out and back in, and, like you, it only worked for a day. I also tried to reset the OS by pushing both steering wheel wheels, and that worked for a day also. Now, it suddenly started working again, over the last three or four days (knock on wood). I'll see if it keeps working OK.

Have you tried doing a service call with Tesla on this?

So, I guess I'm not the only one who has seen this. I first tried logging out and back in, and, like you, it only worked for a day. I also tried to reset the OS by pushing both steering wheel wheels, and that worked for a day also. Now, it suddenly started working again, over the last three or four days (knock on wood). I'll see if it keeps working OK.

Have you tried doing a service call with Tesla on this?
No. I’m sure it’s a software glitch. When Apple Music app first came out for Tesla, it would start the music when a door was opened even though you had paused it before you got out. That got fixed in a subsequent software update. So I’m optimistic this will be addressed down the software road.

I had a whole slew of issues with mine. Are you experiencing clicks, pops, and other noises, particularly when in reverse? My MCU got replaced last weekend all seems to work much better now. Keep a log of your time stamps when the issues occur. Have you rebooted?
I get these pops, clicks, and brief cutouts as well. I can’t seem to replicate on demand but shifting to reverse is one of the sometimes situations. What was Teslas reasoning for the MCU replacement (assuming it was more than this) and what model year?

I get these pops, clicks, and brief cutouts as well. I can’t seem to replicate on demand but shifting to reverse is one of the sometimes situations. What was Teslas reasoning for the MCU replacement (assuming it was more than this) and what model year?
In my case, it turned out to be a voltage drop in the MCU. I highly recommend that you start tracking all of the timestamps for these occurrences. Put these in service requests as often and as annoyingly as possible. It took nearly over a year for Tesla, to finally agreed that it was the MCU after I had been saying this all along. The timestamps will help them isolate the incident and the diagnostic logs. They will initially try to recommend that a software update will resolve this, but truth be told this was not the case for my car.

In my case, it turned out to be a voltage drop in the MCU. I highly recommend that you start tracking all of the timestamps for these occurrences. Put these in service requests as often and as annoyingly as possible. It took nearly over a year for Tesla, to finally agreed that it was the MCU after I had been saying this all along. The timestamps will help them isolate the incident and the diagnostic logs. They will initially try to recommend that a software update will resolve this, but truth be told this was not the case for my car.
Interesting and I will do a better job of keeping track.

Same issue with my 2020M3LR and latest software.
Only thing that fixes it temporarily is to log out and log back in. Then it works for a day or less. Keep getting “Select media source”.
However I can play Apple Music through my phone Bluetooth like the old days🤔
I've gone back to BT as the Tesla implementation of Apple Music can't handle large playlists. Mine are around the 400-song range and shuffle can only pick from the first ~100 or so. At least the left scroll wheel controls song skipping, play/pause etc (albeit with a bit of lag) and I don't have to touch the phone.

Maybe try voice command "Switch to Apple Music"? I know that "Switch to USB" works.