Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to turn the inside completely dark at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No matter how dark you get the interior, you're still going to have to contend with a tinted glass roof. I'm sorry, but you're not going to see much.
I'd agree with this. I'm taking delivery of a new S shortly, but while sitting in the car during the day with the 24 hour loaned they gave us as a tester, I don't see how you'll see much at night. I was amazed at how dim the sun looked through the glass, so seeing stars at night would be quite touch.

There is an easy and cheap way to do this. Get the 'Dashboard for Tesla' app (android only). Lock the car with the key. Enable camper mode. Done! The car will go to sleep and turn the screens off but the app will keep the climate control running. You can be plugged in our not. I use it all the time on road trips when I take a nap in the car.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Realistically here's how I'd fix it:

Right Scroll wheel, press, brings up menu list. Last option: "Dark Mode: On"
Press it, and the center screen goes OFF.
Driver Display goes dark, with only speedometer numeric, in red. (best color for night vision).
And miles or % remaining.

that's IT. that's All I need at night. Volume should still work, track next should work. etc.

i dont have that option there is no dak mode??

that sceen is so annoying at night how had can it be to have a on/off button

The night time reflections off the glass roof were distracting enough for me to not want to "upgrade". In fighter aircraft with bubble canopies there are entire departments devoted to testing and managing reflections because they are disorienting, create confusion, distraction, etc.

No matter how dark you get the interior, you're still going to have to contend with a tinted glass roof. I'm sorry, but you're not going to see much.
I totally agree. The Tesla roof is like 98% light block, so you loose almost 2 magnitude in star brightness. To appreciate the night sky, you really have to go outside.

I do wish Tesla would make all glass electrically dimming, sort of like the windows in the 787 airliner.

I also wish that Tesla can use the interior camera to track where your eye is and place a spot of heavy tint on the windshield exactly where the sun appears for the driver’s eyes.

Believe it or not my old 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP could do this. They deemed it stealth mode and the entire dash would go dark. Speed and indicators were only seen on the HUD projected onto the windshield. It was perfect for long stretches of nighttime driving. If Pontiac can do it lmfao.. c’mon Elon.

seeing as it is bothering so many people why does tesla just do something instead of stupid atari games, i long for the day when you can customise the centre screen quite a few things i would change like the new A/C controls you now have to take your eyes of the road to change it as they are half the size they were....

Better than screen cleaning mode: Try turning on the doodle app, and setting the background to black instead of white. No bright words in the middle this way.
That works for when you're parked but when the car is in drive it won't allow the doodle app. I believe it won't allow screen cleaning either. So for my issue, where I only want the dash on dim and NO lights on the middles screen when driving in dark, this workaround doesn't work.

That works for when you're parked but when the car is in drive it won't allow the doodle app. I believe it won't allow screen cleaning either. So for my issue, where I only want the dash on dim and NO lights on the middles screen when driving in dark, this workaround doesn't work.
Incorrect, at least for the model S, doodle app is definitely available when driving. I use it all the time to take notes.

Reactions: JohnnyG
You can indeed engage both the Screen Cleaning page and the Doodle App while the vehicle is being driven.