Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to tell if LFP 55kw or 60kw battery in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

New to this forum and read a lot of helpful info over the last few weeks thanks

I'm looking to buy a nearly new/used 2022 Model 3 RWD in near future and wonder if there is any concrete way to tell if the battery capacity is 55kw or 60kw

As I understand it only late 2021 RWD models had the then new 55kw LFP battery and were still called Standard Range +, early 2022 this was changed to a 60kw LFP battery and model name dropped and just called RWD but presumably some sort of crossover?

I have also read, on here I think when searching for info, the 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR but to anyone who has one of these models can this code be seen anywhere in the menus of the car screen?

Hope that makes sense, Thanks for help

Switch it to miles and do a quick calculation based on the % SOC. That was the point of my post, I just quoted the wrong miles for the 60kwh and was quickly corrected!
For completeness a 55 kWh would be 263 miles, when new, and at for 100% SoC, whereas 60 kWh would be 287 miles, when new, for 100% SoC. Then allow ~2.0% battery degredation per year for cars age.
Note: Tesla display uses NEDC range not WLTP

Eg. My car is at 85% and shows 217 miles. 217/.85 = 255 miles at 100% then add 3.0% for it being 18 months old = 255 x 1.03 = 262 miles. Therefore it's a high chance it's a 55 kWh battery and not a 60 kWh battery.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Yes charging and working out how many kWh it took to get to a 100% would be a sure fire why but maybe not practical in the 2nd hand market, the information given on checking model name in screen seems like a good idea, my initial question was just incase there was a easy screen somewhere that say would say if 55 or 60 but I suppose not
A 60 kwh battery is about 9% more capacity than a 55 kwh battery. 9% of say 30% is 2.7% So if you offered to top up his battery for free (or pay half? LOL) and it was at least down to 70% when you started, the KWH to get to 100% with a 55KWH battery should be reliably distinguishable, despite roundoff, from a 60KWH battery. Only problem is - the battery could have diminished capacity not enabling you to assess its nominal capacity. Nevertheless, you'd get a crude idea of battery capacity. And if you check that against EPA figures for energy efficiency - you could crudely estimate probable range, not taking your particular driving habits into account!

Upvote 0
I’ve seen 262 on mine which is a 55kwh and as new it showed 268. The WLTP was 272 for that car. For the 60kwh the WLTP is 306 but you are not going to see that figure in your car.
I’ve noticed mine showing slightly higher after each 100% charge so maybe it’s calibrating, is that possible? I’m sure when I collected it was around 250 miles on full charge. Now it’s mid 270.

Reactions: Mark89052
Upvote 0
I’ve noticed mine showing slightly higher after each 100% charge so maybe it’s calibrating, is that possible? I’m sure when I collected it was around 250 miles on full charge. Now it’s mid 270.
Mine has been quite stable, although it has suffered some degredation.
Screenshot_20230426_220442_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
wonder if there is any concrete way to tell if the battery capacity is 55kw or 60kw

I wonder if the Option Codes details that?

I thought that was available in TeslaFi (for which there is a free trial, so that could be used to get the info), but I'm blowed if I can find it in the menus ...

Tesla Info has details on the option codes and where to find them etc. also a video

Upvote 0
Is that for the 55kwh and showing range starting at 265 and now at 254 miles after 16k miles?
@SteveHYes, that data is for a 55kWh that has been driven 16,700 miles and is 19 months old.

This is an error. The display uses EPA, the US standard … anyway, not WLTP.
My bad @Adopa you are correct its EPA. However most people new to EV's think the car will show WLTP and are confused when they see a different number.

We need real world range figure to be published for each car. That would educate prospective buyers in what to expect.

Upvote 0
I recon the change was around vin 385000 on the M3 based on this.
We need real world range figure to be published for each car. That would educate prospective buyers in what to expect.
The irony is, those various tests are meant to show real world numbers. I actually find the EPA figure isn;t too bad at this time of year when not at motorway speeds, but there's a massive difference between a 75mph blast down the motorway in freezing temperatures and a 50mph cross country drive in 20 degrees so one figure has no hope of being right all the time.

As for the LFP batteries, I believe the smaller BTF0 battery stopped around VIN 381000 on China production for Europe, and the larger BTF1 started to appear around VIN 385000 based on some charts I've stashed away on my computer (I think it was one of the battery charts from on this formum but can't find the exact one). I think I'd treat any M3 SR+/RWD with VIN numbers around those figures with caution, but either side should be a good guide, although too far below and you'll be getting the pre LFP battery. 383000 was Oct 2021 build dates which also ties in, more or less.

Upvote 0
looking at tesla.com they show the RWD model 3 as 272 miles EPA (which is what will show on the dash on UK models regardless of the WLTP). Assuming they're still on 60kwh batteries then a 100% charged 2022 should show around 272. The previous 2021 model showed 263 miles EPA

Here Are The 2022 Tesla Model 3 EPA Range And Efficiency Ratings

Its possible with degradation over 12 months both figures would be slightly lower, I don't know if Teslas adjust what is displayed or always shows EPA? If it will drop with degradation its possible this may not be enough to go on - a 272 with a bigger drop may look the same as a 263 with less deg?

Upvote 0
No, it shows the battery type designation on the V5. The OP knows the designation of the two types and is trying to establish which one is in the car. That is the designation shown on the V5 - hence suggesting starting there.

I was curious about my M3LR and that is how I established which I had.

I thought it was the opposite - they know the type which is on the V5, but not the capacity as there are two sizes of LFP battery

Upvote 0
spdpsba said:
55% Kwh shows 262 - 250 when charged to 100%. 60Kwh shows 306-285 miles if fully charged. Though relying on it is not a good idea but that is a different issue that’s been discussed to death on this forum!
I’ve never seen over 280 miles on my display for the 60Kwh RWD when fully charged.
I’ve never seen over 280 miles on my display for the 60Kwh RWD when fully charged.
Thanks for all the replies, I believe as well unless the LFP battery is charged to 100% weekly it won't correctly report range?, this is unlikely to have been done if car is on a forecourt. I suppose it learns from previous journeys what expected range will be? 280 miles would be great though

Upvote 0
spdpsba said:
55% Kwh shows 262 - 250 when charged to 100%. 60Kwh shows 306-285 miles if fully charged. Though relying on it is not a good idea but that is a different issue that’s been discussed to death on this forum!

Thanks for all the replies, I believe as well unless the LFP battery is charged to 100% weekly it won't correctly report range?, this is unlikely to have been done if car is on a forecourt. I suppose it learns from previous journeys what expected range will be? 280 miles would be great though
Again it is also the price difference and the condition of the car, battery degrad all plays a role when you buy a used car. Though I would prefer a LR given the range, the old SR+ (55kwh) is not different to the RWD (60kwh) with 306 (WLTP) or 280 on display. In a year you would expect both to lose around 1-2% which will be in the range of around 270 for the 60Kwh and 252 for the 55Kwh. Mine is still 252 on display and I have done 15,000miles and around 2 years 2 months. So you are looking at a difference of around 15-20 miles on display depending on which one you get. And this will quickly disappear if you are bit enthusiastic with your right foot. If you are shelling out more than a grand for that it is not really worth unless you get the Unicorn one with very good condition. It is a used car so you also need to look at other factors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its possible with degradation over 12 months both figures would be slightly lower, I don't know if Teslas adjust what is displayed or always shows EPA? If it will drop with degradation its possible this may not be enough to go on - a 272 with a bigger drop may look the same as a 263 with less deg?

The max range displayed at 100% will indeed be affected by degradation. It will also be affected by the BMS being out of whack, so not straightforward to know which pack is in use by that measure.

Upvote 0
The 60kwh has an EPA of 272 miles. So this should be the 100% state of charge on the display for new calibrated battery. If it’s higher than that I guess it’s overcharging a bit?

I’ve got just over 1k on the clock now and mine is around that at 100% charge. I did a good motorway stint of 170 miles the other day sticking to speed limit, 4 in the car and luggage and was still showing just over 50 mile range when I stopped for a charge and I started with 94%. I’m quite happy with that given it was 9-10 degrees. Looking forward to seeing the summer range. :)

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Upvote 0
I thought it was the opposite - they know the type which is on the V5, but not the capacity as there are two sizes of LFP battery
The OP cited the two types:
"... 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR ..."
The V5 will show the battery type as either E6CR or E6LR, then this problem will be solved.

I am sure somebody with one of these models can just look at their V5 and confirm. It is how I found out which pack I had in my M3LR, I just looked at the code printed on the V5.

Upvote 0