Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to tell if LFP 55kw or 60kw battery in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

New to this forum and read a lot of helpful info over the last few weeks thanks

I'm looking to buy a nearly new/used 2022 Model 3 RWD in near future and wonder if there is any concrete way to tell if the battery capacity is 55kw or 60kw

As I understand it only late 2021 RWD models had the then new 55kw LFP battery and were still called Standard Range +, early 2022 this was changed to a 60kw LFP battery and model name dropped and just called RWD but presumably some sort of crossover?

I have also read, on here I think when searching for info, the 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR but to anyone who has one of these models can this code be seen anywhere in the menus of the car screen?

Hope that makes sense, Thanks for help

Hi

I'm looking to buy a nearly new/used 2022 Model 3 RWD in near future and wonder if there is any concrete way to tell if the battery capacity is 55kw or 60kw

As I understand it only late 2021 RWD models had the then new 55kw LFP battery and were still called Standard Range +, early 2022 this was changed to a 60kw LFP battery and model name dropped and just called RWD but presumably some sort of crossover?

I have also read, on here I think when searching for info, the 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR but to anyone who has one of these models can this code be seen anywhere in the menus of the car screen?

The last quarter of 2021 was the Unicorn ones - had both larger batteries and the 0-62 was in 5.2 sec. After that whatever the variant came they were all called RWD not SR+. If you get any models from April 2022 they will have 60KW LFP batteries. There is some overlap in Oct-Dec 2021. Dec - March 2022 - most of them are the Unicorn ones. Btw, as the other OP mentioned you can check under software.

Upvote 0
Thanks, That sounds like a good idea, I'm looking around and I see cars around registered around March '22 still called the Standard Range + thinking it may be an error in listing, but of course that could be because of transport time from China, I will probably avoid those and hold out for a later car to be sure, thanks for help

Upvote 0
Hi

First of all, kw is a unit of power meaning the rate at which energy is doing something. kwh or kilowatt hours is the corresponding units for expressing some amount of energy - such as battery capacity. One way to estimate battery capacity is to see how many kwh is needed to raise the battery from say 10% to 100%. Assuming an LFP battery there would be no problem going to 100%, in fact I understand it is recommended. If it takes X kwh to go from 10% to 100% of battery capacity, then battery capacity could be computed as being X/0.9 kwh where the 0.9 is what you get when you subtract 10% from 100%. Of course the accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the percentages depicted on the car's display. The bigger the range of percentages, the better the accuracy is apt to be. But if you go from only 50% charge to 60% charging Y kwh, your estimate of battery capacity becomes Y/0.1 kwh which is an estimate but not likely as accurate as an estimate based on a larger fraction of battery capacity. I think this method is apt to tell you the useable battery capacity which may be less than the nominal battery capacity presumably the car once had when new,

Upvote 0
First of all, kw is a unit of power meaning the rate at which energy is doing something. kwh or kilowatt hours is the corresponding units for expressing some amount of energy - such as battery capacity. One way to estimate battery capacity is to see how many kwh is needed to raise the battery from say 10% to 100%. Assuming an LFP battery there would be no problem going to 100%, in fact I understand it is recommended. If it takes X kwh to go from 10% to 100% of battery capacity, then battery capacity could be computed as being X/0.9 kwh where the 0.9 is what you get when you subtract 10% from 100%. Of course the accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the percentages depicted on the car's display. The bigger the range of percentages, the better the accuracy is apt to be. But if you go from only 50% charge to 60% charging Y kwh, your estimate of battery capacity becomes Y/0.1 kwh which is an estimate but not likely as accurate as an estimate based on a larger fraction of battery capacity. I think this method is apt to tell you the useable battery capacity which may be less than the nominal battery capacity presumably the car once had when new,
Thanks, Yes charging and working out how many kWh it took to get to a 100% would be a sure fire why but maybe not practical in the 2nd hand market, the information given on checking model name in screen seems like a good idea, my initial question was just incase there was a easy screen somewhere that say would say if 55 or 60 but I suppose not

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a model 3 SR+ 2021 RWR LFP battery and I remember looking for this information from an official source, but I did not succeed :( . I think it is 55kw

Upvote 0
When it’s charged to 100% it displays a range of around 260 (ish) miles it’s 60kwh, if it’s less, it’s the smaller 55kwh pack.

If it’s not at 100%, pro rata the 260 miles accordingly.

Cars delivered in November/December 21 on a 71 plate have the 60kwh battery, that’s when I got mine.

Edit: if it’s on a 22 plate it should be 60 kWh and ryzen but slower 0-60

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark89052
Upvote 0
When it’s charged to 100% it displays a range of around 260 (ish) miles it’s 60kwh, if it’s less, it’s the smaller 55kwh pack.

If it’s not at 100%, pro rata the 260 miles accordingly.

Cars delivered in November/December 21 on a 71 plate have the 60kwh battery, that’s when I got mine.

Edit: if it’s on a 22 plate it should be 60 kWh and ryzen but slower 0-60
55% Kwh shows 262 - 250 when charged to 100%. 60Kwh shows 306-285 miles if fully charged. Though relying on it is not a good idea but that is a different issue that’s been discussed to death on this forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark89052
Upvote 0
If I understand the question right the OP is asking how he can tell the size of the battery on simply viewing a car. Obviously you cant turn up at someone's house, or a vehicle retailer and start charging it to work out the size, or get involved in interrogating the touch screen. So something on the car - a sticker or perhaps something on the V5 that indicates the battery capacity.

I don't know of anything that is "at a glance" but would it be possible to say - take a pic of the car - but capture the vin number visible on the lower section of the windscreen and contact Tesla? perhaps they could look it up on their computers.

Upvote 0
If I understand the question right the OP is asking how he can tell the size of the battery on simply viewing a car. Obviously you cant turn up at someone's house, or a vehicle retailer and start charging it to work out the size, or get involved in interrogating the touch screen. So something on the car - a sticker or perhaps something on the V5 that indicates the battery capacity.

I don't know of anything that is "at a glance" but would it be possible to say - take a pic of the car - but capture the vin number visible on the lower section of the windscreen and contact Tesla? perhaps they could look it up on their computers.
Switch it to miles and do a quick calculation based on the % SOC. That was the point of my post, I just quoted the wrong miles for the 60kwh and was quickly corrected!

Upvote 0