Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone went from model S to model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interested in views of swapping to a model 3 from a model S.
Any regrets?
Anything you miss?
I met a guy who was going for a model 3 but said it was too minimalistic and ended up with a model S instead but so far he seems like the exception.

We have both. I prefer driving the 3 because it’s more agile and responsive feeling and the slightly smaller size makes it easier to maneuver and park. My wife prefers driving the S because of its larger screen, more spacious interior, and more cargo room. And while I prefer commuting in the 3, I prefer taking the S on road trips because of its increased spaciousness (and free Supercharging).

They really are both great vehicles and it’s a matter of personal preference. They each push different buttons for me.

The S is a bit outdated.

Ive seen this mentioned a few times and its a crazy mindset to take.

Have you driven a non Tesla recently?? Anyone who thinks a S is 'outdated' is living on a different planet.

Tesla is also developing AP HW4 and MCU 3, they make no secret of it, so when those features make it to production will all current Model 3s become 'out dated'.

The whole existence of Tesla is to move the world to 'Sustainable transportation', 'sustainable' been the key words.

The average age of the UK rolling stock is nearly 8 years, not a single Tesla sold in the UK is any where near that.

Treating these cars like disposable consumer products is going against absolutely everything Tesla was setup to achieve.

Am no tree hugger but even I can see the madness that is starting to happen when people start calling some of the most advanced cars on the road 'out dated' based on somekind of out of control consumerism.

Anyone who thinks a S is 'outdated' is living on a different planet.

Chill. This has nothing to do with sustainability or consumerism, and I'll thank you to not arbitrarily assign negative characteristics to someone you don't understand on the internet just so you can then turn around and argue those characteristics against that person. In the US we have a news outlet for that, its called Fox News.

Don't be Fox News.

Like it or not, the model S you can buy today is largely the same model S you could buy in 2012. That's all this is about. It has nothing to do with other cars, nothing to do with winning the internet. If you were stoked on the Model S when it came out because of how forward looking, clean, futuristic, or any other pick-a-flattering-description, you may feel a bit disappointed when you sit in a brand new S.

...Any regrets?...

They are 2 different types of car.

I don't regret buying Model 3 because I knew what I got into for a price.

But if money is no object I would pick Model S over Model 3.

..Anything you miss?...

I miss so many things:

1) 2 displays instead of 1 display.
2) Audio Equalizer with +/-12 dB instead of just +/-8 dB
3) Space for human and cargo
4) Hatchback
5) Quicker to control side mirrors with physical buttons instead of the screen display
6) Easier to control with separate Cruise/Autopilot stick
7) Smoother air suspension instead of spring coil
8) 373 mile range instead of 322...

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf
2020 Raven Model S has little in common with those sold in 2012.

New motors, new suspension, new computers, better braking, several generations of seating, different wheels and tires etc.

Air suspensions now standard, as well as the amazing HEPA filtration for the air the passengers breath.

Range is far longer and efficiency has been greatly improved. The battery packs have gone through scores of improvements.

Thousands of improvements and enhancements have been done to the chassis and sensor packages.

Sound system is better, headliners changed, carpet is different, software is different, lighting is better, windshield wipers and headlights now automated etc. etc.

Just because it still has the same basic look, realize that every single component has been re-looked at and improved.

Manufacturing equipment is far better, service is more sophisticated etc.

Just because the sheet metal looks similar is really missing the point. Saying it is outdated is also missing the point.

It is the gassers that are truly outdated

Saying it is outdated is also missing the point.

Indeed.

Counterpoint, might I suggest that your dismissal of the point has prevented you from seeing the point.

At least for most of us, the first time we sit in a model S there's a feeling of "this environment is like nothing I've been in before". That's true for an early adopter; that's true for someone just being exposed to the brand in 2019. Most of us will have that very same feeling with our first model 3 experience, largely because the 3 experience exceeds the S in the same way that original S experience exceeded any previous auto experience. The point is that the 3 is not just a little S, it is a step forward from the S, which is what we all as Tesla enthusiasts should want from our mothership. Seriously, that's all this is about. There's no judgement, no intent to hurt people's feelings or give them a complex. The point is to address someone considering the move from S-->3. If that's you and you think environment is an applicable element to your decision process, "the S is a bit outdated" is, despite insistence to the contrary, a relevant topic.

It is self evident to most that there are plenty of reasons someone would choose an S over the 3. You know, like I said in my first post. :rolleyes:

Tend to agree with you...that it is a "feeling"

My post was to point out that feeling is not based on the reality of all the changes that have been made under the skin.

Maybe for some, that currently own a 2012 Model S, they will get a feeling that the new Raven is same ol', same ol'

For many, it is all about the "feeling" while for others we can look deeper.

I believe the Model 3 is simply a Model S built to a lower price point, and in a smaller, more nimble package.

largely because the 3 experience exceeds the S in the same way that original S experience exceeded any previous auto experience.
That would be amazing if it was true. I would also own an M3 instead of my S if this was true. I've had several 24 hour test drives with the M3 and I still don't understand people saying it's so much better than the S. I think it's just a matter of what's important to you. For my needs 200 miles of range is more than enough. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is also more than adequate. I value the nice smooth and quiet ride quality that the S provides over the 3. The interior looks better to me and the center console is more user friendly. I'm also not a fan of the "vegan leather" interior. I don't like the way it smells and feels. The air filtration system is far superior to what the M3 comes with. I didn't enjoy smelling car exhaust again(during the test drives) after living with my MS. If you can't smell very well and you've lost a substantial amount of hearing I could see someone liking the M3 better.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits and bxr140
I have a feeling that this thread is akin to people supporting different football teams. There's very little likelihood of one supporter agreeing with the other. The thread seems to have run its course, in my opinion.

i have a 2015 S and often daydream about changing to a new top-range 3. My reasoning would be:

1) newer AP,MCU etc if I got a new car...and a new S seems gratuitous.
2) much smaller, easier to park, I live down country lanes.
3) wife would likely be keener to drive a small 3 than a huge S.
4) I love the front of the 3, compared to my pre-facelift S.

I'd really miss the BIG screen & second screen though. Plus my S has lifetime free supercharging.
If they ever bring out a model 3 with a bigger screen, or FSD gets any closer, I might make the jump. I give it another year, maybe 2.

I'd really miss the BIG screen & second screen though. Plus my S has lifetime free supercharging.
If they ever bring out a model 3 with a bigger screen, or FSD gets any closer, I might make the jump. I give it another year, maybe 2.

Id miss the second screen. I don't pay much attention to the big one when driving but the binncale is easy to monitor wihtout taking eyes off road much.

Have you driven a non Tesla recently?? Anyone who thinks a S is 'outdated' is living on a different planet.

Tesla is also developing AP HW4 and MCU 3, they make no secret of it, so when those features make it to production will all current Model 3s become 'out dated'.

The S is a fine car, and functionally there isn't a problem. The problem is that anyone who lives with the 3, will think it is outdated strictly based on interior design. It's like saying there isn't anything wrong with the iPhone 7. There isn't. It's perfectly usable. The customer expectations have moved on. On the flip side, there will be people who still prefer the older design. Not all customers want the new aesthetics.

Given the spy shots of the tri motor interior, it seems like S will follow suit with a horizontal display like the 3, so it seems like this won't be an issue for long.

BTW - Cybertruck is making my model 3 feel outdated. It's similarly priced, but has better glass, and dent proof body panels. Also 17" central display.

The S is a fine car, and functionally there isn't a problem. The problem is that anyone who lives with the 3, will think it is outdated strictly based on interior design. It's like saying there isn't anything wrong with the iPhone 7.

I totally disagree with the madness that is comparing phones to cars. A 2012 Model S still gets you from A to B just as well as any brand new EV, and in a country as small as England even a S60 with 10% of degradation still have more than enough range for most people.

Always wanting the newest toys seems to be new social norm, but personally for me a car is much more than a gadget. I will always remember the first time I saw a S, its like seeing your first ever Maserati or Ferrari or Jaguar.

There are something in life where the designers just nail it the first time, the 964 911, the F40, the E30 BMWs, VW Corrado, Maserati GranSport. I put the S amounts that group, oh and I think the Apple iPhone 5 was/is one of the nicest phones I've owned/held. Great design is about things that stand the test of time, not pointless gimmicks, which sadly these days Tesla seem to focus on.

Tesla nailed the design of the S, it simply looks timeless, where as the 3 looks like its driven off a Noddy set, when people look back in history its not going the be 3 that's remembered.

18743162030_90aafdcc6c_k_d.jpg

18947342641_890668986b_b.jpg

I totally disagree with the madness that is comparing phones to cars. A 2012 Model S still gets you from A to B just as well as any brand new EV, and in a country as small as England even a S60 with 10% of degradation still have more than enough range for most people.

It feels like you didn't read my post. Both cars function 100% as cars. As I said, it's just about interior design aesthetic.

You could say the same thing about the old fox body style mustang as you are saying about model S. And I'm sure there are people who still prefer fox body style to anything that came out afterward. Especially if they liked the more compact vehicle size. But for most people, their tastes have evolved and fox body becomes dated and synonymous with 1980's designs.

Model S was great at what it was designed for. It was a bridge between ICE and EVs. Tesla did a lot to make model S look like a normal car, including a faux grill on the front. And a needlessly high dashboard. All of that went out the window when they designed model 3. They have been changing model S over time, but they can't eliminate some of the design choices without a full refresh.

On the flip side, anything like the cybertruck/model 3 design will eventually become super dated and look like the "old 2020s" when 2030 design evolves further. Kind of like green carpets in the 1970s.

None of this is a dig at model S. It is what it is. And anything I say about it, will end up applying to model 3 in the future too.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23