Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is only rated for 55 amps. DO NOT put it on a 60 amp breaker. Use a 50 A breaker for this. Your house probably won't burn to the ground if you use a 60 A breaker with wire not rated for 60 A, but is that really a chance you want to take?

If you want to use 6 gauge wire for 60 A, you need to pull THHN or THWN through a conduit.

See Table 310.16 in the National Electrical Code, which you can access for free here.
What he said. Need 4

Got my wall connector installed today by a local electrician. They had to run about 25-30 feet of wire. I am assuming it’s Romex but I know it’s 6 gauge wiring. It’s connected to a 60amp breaker. I did not plug the car in while they were finishing up. But when I did 2-3 hours later it would work for 4-6 mins and then the breaker trips. They came back out and tried a new 60 amp breaker and then a 50 amp breaker. Well it works fine on the 50 amp breaker. I think I will have him change out the wire since he should have known it’s only rated for 55 amp. Do you think this is the cause of my issue? Or did they mess something else up?

Thanks

Got my wall connector installed today by a local electrician. They had to run about 25-30 feet of wire. I am assuming it’s Romex but I know it’s 6 gauge wiring. It’s connected to a 60amp breaker. I did not plug the car in while they were finishing up. But when I did 2-3 hours later it would work for 4-6 mins and then the breaker trips. They came back out and tried a new 60 amp breaker and then a 50 amp breaker. Well it works fine on the 50 amp breaker. I think I will have him change out the wire since he should have known it’s only rated for 55 amp. Do you think this is the cause of my issue? Or did they mess something else up?

Thanks
What's the setting on the EVSE? Do you have a Tesla Wall Connector? What do you have the breaker rating set at in the app (or in the dip switches if it is an older EVSE)?

Thanks
That doesn't really make sense. The problem with using a 60a breaker on 6/3 Romex would be that it doesn't trip when it should, not tripping early. The main things I can think of would be a poor connection causing extra current draw or bad breakers or maybe the wrong breaker for your panel.

I am thinking about getting this 6/3 wire from Romex at HomeDepot. This would be the wire from a 60amp breaker to the Gen 3 wall charger.

Has anyone installed with this wire for their Tesla and was it a good experience?
I just ran this wire about 100' through my attic across house to garage. Wall charger up and running. Easy to install the new breaker and also easy to do the termination to the charger. Make sure you hire an electrician of you are not comfortable... you could run the cable and just hire someone to make the terminations to save money

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
I just ran this wire about 100' through my attic across house to garage. Wall charger up and running. Easy to install the new breaker and also easy to do the termination to the charger. Make sure you hire an electrician of you are not comfortable... you could run the cable and just hire someone to make the terminations to save money
Sorry for asking, but what amperage did you set your charger at?

That doesn't really make sense. The problem with using a 60a breaker on 6/3 Romex would be that it doesn't trip when it should, not tripping early. The main things I can think of would be a poor connection causing extra current draw or bad breakers or maybe the wrong breaker for your panel.
Yeah, thinking about it again, if it tripped with two different 60A breakers, but didn't trip with a 50A breaker, and you didn't change anything in between, then, um, either you had two bad 60A breakers, or ???

6 gauge NM-B (Romex) is only rated for 55A intermittent, or 44A continuous loads. Especially if it is routed in an uninsulated attic that can get really hot in the summer. That was kinda of the whole point of 332 posts in this thread 😅
Thanks for this I'm going to research some more. The gen3 installation manual says we can use 6 awg and my electrician also said it was good to use. I'm in coastal, central California and it doesn't hardly get hotter that 80 degrees

Thanks for this I'm going to research some more. The gen3 installation manual says we can use 6 awg and my electrician also said it was good to use. I'm in coastal, central California and it doesn't hardly get hotter that 80 degrees

But your attic will mid day on a sunny day (meaning most of them). I am presuming where you routed your romex is in the uninsulated part of an attic (ie. above the insulation).