Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refusing last software update - speed limit restriction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not been one to refuse an update before but I did hold out on 7.1 for a little while. The nag for me isn't terribly worse although the 3 strikes rule kicked in for the first time last week on a really long drive just near home.

But the speed limit thing is a real downer for me. I don't use AP often on non highways, but sometimes I like to. I frankly am definitely not happy with AP overall. Yes it is helpful but took forever to come out and really isn't much better in the last year. And now we keep getting downgrades - oops safety improvements.

My car is a lease and I'd love to have them disable it and save the money. I know that isn't going to happen.

So for now I just have to say no every 24 hours. At some point an improvement will make me say yes. But that is a pretty sad state. I wonder if AP2 will have the same restriction. For $5000 - that would be even worse.

Reactions: mike_j
I'm with you, I'm done with software downgrades. Service center updated my car for me while it was in for service, which I wouldn't have taken and was the one that downgraded the speed. So no more updates for me unless I know it won't downgrade the software functionality.

Reactions: scottf200
A speed limit restriction for autopilot makes business and legal sense to me -- and I don't mind going 35 instead of 40 if using AP in suburbia.

That said, I was using AP on a 70 mph divided highway today after upgrading last night and it restricted me to 50 mph for about 1 mile. This is a highway going through country-side that I have traveled many times on AP. I was able to go back to the 70 mph speed limit shortly thereafter, and had the same experience when returning home going the other direction in the same spot (or close to it).

I think there are some bugs to be worked on on this release....

That is not a bug but the sytem operating as designed. The camera sets the limit and desides what type of road you are on by what it sees. There is no database or gps checking, which is why all of these restrictions and nags are so pointless. You are always in control of the system and it should be up to you to decide what speed is safe.

I've not been one to refuse an update before but I did hold out on 7.1 for a little while. The nag for me isn't terribly worse although the 3 strikes rule kicked in for the first time last week on a really long drive just near home.

But the speed limit thing is a real downer for me. I don't use AP often on non highways, but sometimes I like to. I frankly am definitely not happy with AP overall. Yes it is helpful but took forever to come out and really isn't much better in the last year. And now we keep getting downgrades - oops safety improvements.

My car is a lease and I'd love to have them disable it and save the money. I know that isn't going to happen.

So for now I just have to say no every 24 hours. At some point an improvement will make me say yes. But that is a pretty sad state. I wonder if AP2 will have the same restriction. For $5000 - that would be even worse.

I've been doing the daily reject for a while now. Happily still on 7.1. May be the end for me. I have not read any reports of any improvement in 8.0 that is interesting to me, and plenty I consider regressive.

It will be the same.
Full autonomy in AP 2.0 will be several years away and hence it really won't be any different than those of us with AP 1.
My opinion of course, and everyone is entitled to my opinion. LOL!

1) Not debating whether or not a speed restriction is a good idea (which it's not if you the driver are responsible for driving the car ..Which you are even using autopilot).
2) The problem I have is whether or not it's good practice to remove/downgrade functionality for no reason without owners permission.
3) Should they put a restriction in place they can't enforce (I.e. force hands on wheel when they can't detect hands on wheel. They can only detect force, which requires pressure against wheel (actively fighting the wheel).
4) I'm waiting for next update to be TACC to be reduced to speed limit on the highway, because it's deemed safer that way. It's kind of silly to collect data for making the system better when you don't use real life data.

A speed limit restriction for autopilot makes business and legal sense to me -- and I don't mind going 35 instead of 40 if using AP in suburbia.

That said, I was using AP on a 70 mph divided highway today after upgrading last night and it restricted me to 50 mph for about 1 mile. This is a highway going through country-side that I have traveled many times on AP. I was able to go back to the 70 mph speed limit shortly thereafter, and had the same experience when returning home going the other direction in the same spot (or close to it).

I think there are some bugs to be worked on on this release....

I hope Tesla reads these posts and can accommodate Hazelwood's comments in addition to not exposing themselves to legal problems. AP technology should be helping us drive as we see fit, enhancing our situational awareness, avoiding accidents, while not creating the development of some sort of nanny-state driving ambience. MIght be a difficult needle to thread, but that's the fun of a challenge.

I would suggest, everyone write an email to Tesla and express how you feel. I did so.

This software speed restriction is utter bullshit IMO. This is not making us safer, this is making us less safe on the road. Also, Tesla has no right to downgrade functionality on a whim, unless governed by the ruling government. This is complete nonsense!

Don't like the new restriction at all. It makes the AP useless on two lane roads so I've stopped using it. (That might have been their goal.)
Exactly. Full AP on a two lane road is just asking for trouble. Add speed to that and it will get messy. You want to go fast on a 2 lane highway, just don't use Auto-Steer.

This is what we experienced 3 times on Christmas Eve. 1 time on Ca SR-14, 1 time on I-5 and 1 time on Ca SR-60. 3 times while using AP and the latest "update" from just a day or 2 earlier while traveling 65MPH on these freeways, our speed was automatically and dramatically reduced to 50 and a warning message displayed that "Speed is restricted". Really? Restricted to 50MPH on freeways with 65MPH speed limits?

Thankfully we were practically by ourselves late at night on Christmas Eve, but I sure hope that Mr. Musk is fully aware that if such a thing were to happen and we end up being rear ended on the freeway when our speed falls off so rapidly and for absolutely no reason whatsoever that I will aggressively work with my insurance company in holding not only the guy that rear ends me at fault but Tesla Inc. as well.

I can't take the update. Half of my 130 mile commute (each way) is on 2 lane highways that have a 55 mile speed limit where everyone drives 65. I can get away with 60 but I tried going 55 the other day just to see what happens. After 5 minutes I had 10 cars backed up behind me with folks passing me at an angry 70 every minute or so(half of them letting out an angry honk as they went by).

If I took the update, AP would essentially be disabled in these cases as you're attempt to use it would dramatically increase the danger due to increased passing and angry drivers.

I'm just glad they fixed the USB problems(at least the worst of them) before they made this unsafe change likely to cause more accidents.

I updated, but that's largely because I don't use the full AP that much. Even if I did use AP on rural roads the 5 over would be too low itself let alone going down to the speed limit. Tesla doesn't seem to get how speed limits are set. We don't live in some magical world where you can simply drive the speed limit. It's especially funny considering they're in California. and Elon knowns damn well you can't drive the speed limit down there without getting the middle finger from irate drivers.

If I used AP all the time I would definitely hesitate because it doesn't feel like Tesla is being all the honest with it. The limitations are not on the release notes. They are not fully documented in how it behaves, and in what circumstance.