Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a 6MT car in addition to their Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even an F1 car cant do that with several million dollars tech.
Now - there's always a chance i don't understand what your 1.7 short time really means ( i understand you're saying 1.7 seconds 0 - 60 mph) but - you do you :)

BTW - used to owned AWD Talon back in the day - such a fantastic car back in the 90's

Oh boy......let me explain. A short time when drag racing is the time it takes the vehicle to move 60 feet. So we're talking about getting to 60 feet in 1.7 seconds. This is a data point on a drag racing timeslip. From what I've seen, the Model 3 Performance normally does around 1.7 or 1.8 seconds. It's a measure of how quick a car jumps off the line and is really meaningless beyond that. Electric cars tend to have good performance from a dead stop due to good torque off the line and AWD.

Oh boy......let me explain. A short time when drag racing is the time it takes the vehicle to move 60 feet. So we're talking about getting to 60 feet in 1.7 seconds. This is a data point on a drag racing timeslip. From what I've seen, the Model 3 Performance normally does around 1.7 or 1.8 seconds. It's a measure of how quick a car jumps off the line and is really meaningless beyond that. Electric cars tend to have good performance from a dead stop due to good torque off the line and AWD.

Now we're talking - i figured I got it wrong somehow :)
Not a drag racer at all, altho have done some road racing in my past

so in fairness to you, you did say
1.7 seconds 60' times
That ' mark for foot wasn't familiar to us, read instead as 0-60mph.

That said, the conversation was about drag performance, and you're asserting that the A5 2.0 is faster off the line than a M3P. Though 60' escapes the disadvantage of gear shifting, that erases as soon as you need go to second. So should it impress, or change the point being made? I don't think so.

The A5 has a 0-60 around 5.1 seconds. The M3P is 3.1. So if it takes 1.7 seconds to do the first 60', then it takes only 1.4 more seconds to get to 60 mph. At first glance that would seem silly, but 0-60 in 3.1 at a purely linear acceleration would take 136ft. And I quickly found with the YP that I was going 45 barely after clearing an intersection.

so in fairness to you, you did say

That ' mark for foot wasn't familiar to us, read instead as 0-60mph.

That said, the conversation was about drag performance, and you're asserting that the A5 2.0 is faster off the line than a M3P. Though 60' escapes the disadvantage of gear shifting, that erases as soon as you need go to second. So should it impress, or change the point being made? I don't think so.

The A5 has a 0-60 around 5.1 seconds. The M3P is 3.1. So if it takes 1.7 seconds to do the first 60', then it takes only 1.4 more seconds to get to 60 mph. At first glance that would seem silly, but 0-60 in 3.1 at a purely linear acceleration would take 136ft. And I quickly found with the YP that I was going 45 barely after clearing an intersection.

Faster off the line? Well, I told you what mine runs. Keep in mind it's modified, so it's quite a bit quicker than an unmodified car. As far as being faster than a M3P, not really. They both run very similar times off the line. A stock Audi RS3 is very similar in performance.

That's the beauty of ICE vehicles. You can literally make them as fast as you want. You just need to be willing to spend the money. For me, my car is right about where I want it to be....call it the sweet spot. It's modified and performs like it, but is still completely a refined car that is amazing to drive and comfortable on a road trip. No loud exhaust, no excessive NVH, nothing like that. I modify my cars to make them what I think they should have been from the factory. So if that means adding power, improving handling and/or braking, etc, then that's what I'll do. I just refuse to turn my car into a loud, crashy riding toy that may be fun around town, but not on a road trip. Think Grand Touring car with some extra power. That's my goal.

Faster off the line? Well, I told you what mine runs. Keep in mind it's modified, so it's quite a bit quicker than an unmodified car. As far as being faster than a M3P, not really. They both run very similar times off the line. A stock Audi RS3 is very similar in performance.

That's the beauty of ICE vehicles. You can literally make them as fast as you want. You just need to be willing to spend the money. For me, my car is right about where I want it to be....call it the sweet spot. It's modified and performs like it, but is still completely a refined car that is amazing to drive and comfortable on a road trip. No loud exhaust, no excessive NVH, nothing like that. I modify my cars to make them what I think they should have been from the factory. So if that means adding power, improving handling and/or braking, etc, then that's what I'll do. I just refuse to turn my car into a loud, crashy riding toy that may be fun around town, but not on a road trip. Think Grand Touring car with some extra power. That's my goal.
2022 RS3 is slower or close to MYP. M3P is definitely faster than stock RS3s.

Curious if anyone in here has a performance / 6MT car in addition to their Model Y? I currently have and love an MYP, but coming from a long line of manual transmission performance cars, I miss the feeling of rowing the gears. That said, I've been kicking the proverbial tires on a few cars in that arena, namely the Civic Type R, Golf R and Elantra N (I want a back seat). I'm leaning heavily towards a slightly used Civic Type R, but would love input from those that are in the same boat.
Having owned ONLY MT carss for 50 years i thought i would miss the shifting. quite to the contrary, would never own another ICE car

Reactions: electricar
2022 RS3 is slower or close to MYP. M3P is definitely faster than stock RS3s.

Stock, they run about 3.4 seconds 0-60 and they still run 11's in the quarter mile, bone stock. That's pretty close to the M3P. With nothing but a tune, they are much quicker. Stage 1 tuned, they can run 10s and that's with the stock turbo. But anyway, I was again talking about the 60' times. RS3 will run 1.7 short times all day long.

Last edited:
Having owned ONLY MT carss for 50 years i thought i would miss the shifting. quite to the contrary, would never own another ICE car

So I'm guessing you're about 70 years old or older, right? I mean, based off of 50 years of owning cars. So it's not surprising that someone your age wouldn't miss shifting. I'll probably be more ready for a lounge chair myself when I'm 70 years old.....no more shifting necessary :p

• Funny
Reactions: Altes
So I'm guessing you're about 70 years old or older, right? I mean, based off of 50 years of owning cars. So it's not surprising that someone your age wouldn't miss shifting. I'll probably be more ready for a lounge chair myself when I'm 70 years old.....no more shifting necessary :p
Most of my driving is highway in the last 30 or so years so the "fun" of an MT is sort of lost, would prob own MT car if i still tracked my cars. the really enjoyable thing (second only to acceleration!) is the regen feature that behaves much like a MT does

Yea, I'm not even sure why the number of gears was specified. Most of my cars were 5speed, but as the years went by they evolved to 6 speed. Prior to that many were 4speed or on rare occasions 3speed. I would have just said "manual" or "stick".

Probably because the 6-speed manual transmission has been the most common number of forward gears now for the last 25 years. The last 5-speed manual I owned was a '99 BMW M3. All since then have been 6 speeds.

Terrific. You're just helping me prove my point. Here's what I can tell you from that video:

1. The Audi driver was sleeping at the light. Reaction time proves it and that's the only reason he lost the race.
2. The Audi is indeed tuned. That's evident by the trap speed on the time slip.
3. The Audi didn't use launch control. That's evident by the short time of 1.8. A car with that MPH will easily run much better than 1.8 short times. My guess is 1.5 with launch control.
4. That's an older RS3. Still quick, but it's an 8V not an 8Y
5. With a trap speed of 125 mph, that's a 10-second Audi easily. Yes, I see that he ran an 11.3 compared to the Tesla's 11.4 and yes he still lost the race despite having a quicker time and a much higher trap speed. Why did he run 11s and not 10s? Who knows? Maybe he was testing out his different tune parameters. He could have been trying out his boost by gear. There's literally a lot of different reasons. But one thing is certain----it's easily a 10 second car.

Terrific. You're just helping me prove my point. Here's what I can tell you from that video:

1. The Audi driver was sleeping at the light. Reaction time proves it and that's the only reason he lost the race.
2. The Audi is indeed tuned. That's evident by the trap speed on the time slip.
3. The Audi didn't use launch control. That's evident by the short time of 1.8. A car with that MPH will easily run much better than 1.8 short times. My guess is 1.5 with launch control.
4. That's an older RS3. Still quick, but it's an 8V not an 8Y
5. With a trap speed of 125 mph, that's a 10-second Audi easily. Yes, I see that he ran an 11.3 compared to the Tesla's 11.4 and yes he still lost the race despite having a quicker time and a much higher trap speed. Why did he run 11s and not 10s? Who knows? Maybe he was testing out his different tune parameters. He could have been trying out his boost by gear. There's literally a lot of different reasons. But one thing is certain----it's easily a 10 second car.
Next excuse for the other two videos?

Next excuse for the other two videos?

Sorry, didn't even watch them. Why? Because anyone can find videos and post them to support their view. Do you want me to find one of an RS3 destroying a M3P? I can if you want, but again, what's the point?

Anyway, I know what the RS3 runs stock and modified. I have friends that have those cars. I've raced them with my Audi and I know very well what my car is capable of running. This whole discussion started with short times and I'm talking to guys on a Tesla forum that don't even understand what a 60 foot time means.;)