Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Hardcore Car Enthusiast Out Here? I Have Questions About Going to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EM CARS

Supporting Member
Jun 26, 2022
Bay Area, CA
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I browsed a lot on the solar section but this is my first time here in the automotive. I, like many people have felt the hit to my wallet from the increase of fuel cost. I currently have a F80 BMW M3 which I love and track weekend car, F85 X5M is my fun family hauler, and FK8 Civic Type R which serves as my fun commuter car. I never thought I would own an EV because I like hearing my engine and the part of driving is connecting with the car. That has changed, I'm spending $160 a week in gas cost to run the Civic Type R to work daily. I live 45 miles away from work so you can see why I'm considering the Tesla Model 3. I shopped the BMW i4 the price gets up there once you start adding the driver assistance options, and creature comforts that the Tesla model 3 comes with. I figured with the BMW you're going to pay more more driving experience. Plus the main selling point for the Tesla is their exclusive supercharging network. If I'm low on a charge I can easily fine one and top off.

The Tesla would replace the Type R because that's my commuter car. On the flip side I still have the, M3 and X5M for fun but most of my driving will be spent in the commuter car which is why I like it to be fun and somewhat playful.

I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range because I'm trying to do the practical thing and not get Performance. 4.2 0-60 is nearly a second faster than the Type R but I go back and forth if I should upgrade to Performance, but I read that the Long Range and Performance are similar from a roll anyway. Tesla rep says you won't get out of a Long Range and think it's not enough
With either model, I'm afraid I will get the car and get bored with it. The Civic is fun because it's a manual and the gears keep me busy, it takes freeway onramps like it's on rails.

I did do CarMax 24 hour test drive with the BMW i3 REX but it that's all I needed to see didn't have enough range for me. I contacted Tesla dealer and was going to schedule a test drive back in late 2020 but called. My previous vehicles have been 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG with the 6.2 V8, Lexus IS-F, Mini Cooper JCW, Civic Si, and 3000GT VR-4. You can see I have a huge love and passion for all cars, and EV's have my curiosity but I'm still wondering what ownership is like after the first month or so then instant acceleration gets old.

I rented a 2018 Model 3 Performance from Turo and it felt amazing quick, I followed up with a 2021 Model 3 Performance a few months later and it didn't as feel as quick as the 2018. It fell on it's face after 80mph. (Still better than the i3 which ran out of oomph after 40mph) Is that a normal thing or did the 2021 get some update that made the power feel less punchy.
Also, I recently rented a Model S Plaid for a week and was comfortable with air suspension but it's too much money, the car is bigger than I would like and honestly, Plaid mode was crazy, I love my speed but it's more than I could use in real world other than a drag strip. You can see I keep dipping my toes in the water but I can't jump in.

What is charging like? My home is pre wired for EV but I have 4kw solar on the roof and 1 single Tesla Powerwall 2. Would it also be worth it to increase the size of my solar system to offset the cost of charging? I have a PG&E on EV2-A Rate because of the Powerwall

My last question: I typically get 15%- 20% of ceramic window tint on my cars for aesthetics, IR rejection, and privacy. How is tinting with white interior? Do the color of the seats still poke out through 15% tint?
Thanks for reading and hopefully some car people that converted over to EV can chime in. I know I will miss the manual of the Type R for sure!

Why yes you are brand new here, one post I see. So I'll keep this really short. I think the Tesla Model 3, specifically the Performance is the best car on the road...................IF you get one that the Tesla factory in Fremont CA built correctly. Unfortunately Tesla has ZERO quality control, so whether you get a good one or not is a TOTAL crap shoot.

No car today regardless the price is perfect, whether QC or intended design, its what you are willing to accept. Tesla's Technology and charging network is second to none, this coming from someone who just rejected two Model 3 Performance's due to HORRIBLE fit & finish and utter lack of quality control at the factory. We are awaiting our third car to arrive with lesser issues. Hope this helps you somewhat.

You asked a lot there. I’m not aware of any reason the 2021 M3P was more pokey than the older one. Should be a bit quicker if anything. Maybe the one you rented had a speed limit engaged?

I’ve had a P85D+ and now a M3P. Before that ice cars included R53 and R56 MINI, an E53 X5 and others going back to a 1969 240Z. Each one is different and fun. The M3P is just ruthlessly efficient. A little spartan, but crazy quick and tight in the corners. I’m driving for the fun of driving and not for the noise of the infernal combustion engine. The M3P does that extremely well. And energy cost is something stupid like 3 cents / mile 😁

You asked a lot there. I’m not aware of any reason the 2021 M3P was more pokey than the older one.

There definitely is a lot in this OPs post (welcome to TMC, OP!). One thing I can think of, off the top of my head for the reason why those might have felt different, is simply the 2018 likely had a much higher battery charge than the 2021 when this OP drove it. If the 2021 had a low charge (entirely possible since both were Turo rentals and the OP likely didnt know that battery charge level would impact that), it would cause this.

To answer the thread question, yes there are plenty of people here who really love cars in general. There are TONS (and tons and tons and tons and tons) of "Ex BMW" or "BMW and now tesla" people.

There is a really long thread here that I can hunt down for you where someone asks about a tesla, coming from BMW. Its a couple years old now but still relevant:

Whether the Model 3 will scratch your itch, OP, I have no idea. You will have your other cars, and Teslas are incredible daily drivers.... probably the thing they are best at, actually. You can certainly road trip in them, etc, but the thing they are incredibly good at, is daily driving, as long as you can charge at home.

I liked my model 3 enough that I sold my wifes 2019 X3 M40 and got a model Y performance. I have gotten used to not having the engine noise (I rather like it being somewhat quiet now although I didnt think I would when I bought the car in 2018).

EDIT:

I forgot this other pretty large thread with a similar premise that might interest you:

Last edited:
I came from a F80 M3. M3P is far better as a commuter car and probably way more than you need since you have fun cars already. Do you really need something that pulls hard above 80mph for a daily driver? You’re gonna pull from pretty much anything from a stop while barely trying and not worrying if the engine is warm. If I could’ve kept the M3 I would’ve gotten a LR and saved the $8k. Trust me though when you go EV for daily driving you won’t go back to ICE, for daily driving. Then pretty soon you’ll become more focused on driving efficiently than going balls out every chance you get. Definitely not as fun as a weekend ICE sports car, but again you’ll have both so there’s not really any dilemma as far as I can tell.

I came from daily driving an M2C and I think that the M3P is a much better daily driver but most definitely not nearly as fun, in its stock form, for those times you want to enjoy the car. But that is why you have the M3.

Also, I do not think the M3P is overkill, maybe not necessary, but if you can swing the difference, I think you will find it to be worth it.

I am a HPDE (track day) instructor with several groups (though I haven't tracked much in the last couple of years). My car history is full of highly modified BMWs, M cars, Golf Rs, etc. Full E85, JRZ suspension, Essex AP Racing BBK, type stuff. I was even involved in the design of several prominent track cooling parts for the BMW M2. I would definitely consider myself a hardcore car enthusiast.

I had exactly the same fears as you before going to the Tesla. You're going to miss the noise and smells if you're a car guy, but I can say that the only thing that lets me down dynamically on the car is the suspension (and by extension, the relatively numb steering). If you are are used to high performance cars you will want to move to coilovers and and solid bushings for the street, but everything else on the car has "good bones" for performance driving.

There is a member here that I used to hit the track with, and the times he is running in his Model 3 at Mid Ohio and NCM are significantly faster than I ever achieved with my highly modified BMW M2.

I have only owned the Model 3 for four days (my Tesla Safety Score is down to 51 for "aggressive turning, hard braking, unsafe following"), but I can already tell you that I will never go back to ICE for a daily driver. I will be replacing the entire suspension, but everything else is honestly great. One thing that is really nice coming from so many turbo cars is the responsiveness of the drivetrain - zero lag, it is like a really nice naturally aspirated engine in terms of instant response, but it has full power available immediately instead of low torque down low. The AWD grip and power delivery out of a corner gives you a whole new element of driving dynamics to play with that no ICE platform really can equal.

I will say I have noticed a few electronic nannies that are irritating to me, but only with the wheel turned at a sharp angle. For example, the computer will not let me get maximum power from a stop when the wheel is turned. That is annoying, but supposedly can be fixed with a MPP Partybox.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I browsed a lot on the solar section but this is my first time here in the automotive. I, like many people have felt the hit to my wallet from the increase of fuel cost. I currently have a F80 BMW M3 which I love and track weekend car, F85 X5M is my fun family hauler, and FK8 Civic Type R which serves as my fun commuter car. I never thought I would own an EV because I like hearing my engine and the part of driving is connecting with the car. That has changed, I'm spending $160 a week in gas cost to run the Civic Type R to work daily. I live 45 miles away from work so you can see why I'm considering the Tesla Model 3. I shopped the BMW i4 the price gets up there once you start adding the driver assistance options, and creature comforts that the Tesla model 3 comes with. I figured with the BMW you're going to pay more more driving experience. Plus the main selling point for the Tesla is their exclusive supercharging network. If I'm low on a charge I can easily fine one and top off.

The Tesla would replace the Type R because that's my commuter car. On the flip side I still have the, M3 and X5M for fun but most of my driving will be spent in the commuter car which is why I like it to be fun and somewhat playful.

I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range because I'm trying to do the practical thing and not get Performance. 4.2 0-60 is nearly a second faster than the Type R but I go back and forth if I should upgrade to Performance, but I read that the Long Range and Performance are similar from a roll anyway. Tesla rep says you won't get out of a Long Range and think it's not enough
With either model, I'm afraid I will get the car and get bored with it. The Civic is fun because it's a manual and the gears keep me busy, it takes freeway onramps like it's on rails.

I did do CarMax 24 hour test drive with the BMW i3 REX but it that's all I needed to see didn't have enough range for me. I contacted Tesla dealer and was going to schedule a test drive back in late 2020 but called. My previous vehicles have been 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG with the 6.2 V8, Lexus IS-F, Mini Cooper JCW, Civic Si, and 3000GT VR-4. You can see I have a huge love and passion for all cars, and EV's have my curiosity but I'm still wondering what ownership is like after the first month or so then instant acceleration gets old.

I rented a 2018 Model 3 Performance from Turo and it felt amazing quick, I followed up with a 2021 Model 3 Performance a few months later and it didn't as feel as quick as the 2018. It fell on it's face after 80mph. (Still better than the i3 which ran out of oomph after 40mph) Is that a normal thing or did the 2021 get some update that made the power feel less punchy.
Also, I recently rented a Model S Plaid for a week and was comfortable with air suspension but it's too much money, the car is bigger than I would like and honestly, Plaid mode was crazy, I love my speed but it's more than I could use in real world other than a drag strip. You can see I keep dipping my toes in the water but I can't jump in.

What is charging like? My home is pre wired for EV but I have 4kw solar on the roof and 1 single Tesla Powerwall 2. Would it also be worth it to increase the size of my solar system to offset the cost of charging? I have a PG&E on EV2-A Rate because of the Powerwall

My last question: I typically get 15%- 20% of ceramic window tint on my cars for aesthetics, IR rejection, and privacy. How is tinting with white interior? Do the color of the seats still poke out through 15% tint?
Thanks for reading and hopefully some car people that converted over to EV can chime in. I know I will miss the manual of the Type R for sure!
We had 5 BMW’s before our Model 3 - 2-7’s, 2-5’s and a 3 series. We’ve had the Model 3 since March 2018, and we’ll never go back.

Reactions: unlock and EM CARS
Why yes you are brand new here, one post I see. So I'll keep this really short. I think the Tesla Model 3, specifically the Performance is the best car on the road...................IF you get one that the Tesla factory in Fremont CA built correctly. Unfortunately Tesla has ZERO quality control, so whether you get a good one or not is a TOTAL crap shoot.

No car today regardless the price is perfect, whether QC or intended design, its what you are willing to accept. Tesla's Technology and charging network is second to none, this coming from someone who just rejected two Model 3 Performance's due to HORRIBLE fit & finish and utter lack of quality control at the factory. We are awaiting our third car to arrive with lesser issues. Hope this helps you somewhat.
Yes, very first post. I’ve been lurking more on the solar forums while deciding on a Tesla Powerwall.

I hear about quality control and it seems hit or miss. I was unaware you could reject the car, I assume it was yours with the expectation Tesla will fix the issues. Thank you!

I appreciate the information!
There definitely is a lot in this OPs post (welcome to TMC, OP!). One thing I can think of, off the top of my head for the reason why those might have felt different, is simply the 2018 likely had a much higher battery charge than the 2021 when this OP drove it. If the 2021 had a low charge (entirely possible since both were Turo rentals and the OP likely didnt know that battery charge level would impact that), it would cause this.

To answer the thread question, yes there are plenty of people here who really love cars in general. There are TONS (and tons and tons and tons and tons) of "Ex BMW" or "BMW and now tesla" people.

There is a really long thread here that I can hunt down for you where someone asks about a tesla, coming from BMW. Its a couple years old now but still relevant:

Whether the Model 3 will scratch your itch, OP, I have no idea. You will have your other cars, and Teslas are incredible daily drivers.... probably the thing they are best at, actually. You can certainly road trip in them, etc, but the thing they are incredibly good at, is daily driving, as long as you can charge at home.

I liked my model 3 enough that I sold my wifes 2019 X3 M40 and got a model Y performance. I have gotten used to not having the engine noise (I rather like it being somewhat quiet now although I didnt think I would when I bought the car in 2018).

EDIT:

I forgot this other pretty large thread with a similar premise that might interest you:

My wife got tired of me being wishy-washy and said get upgrade to the performance if that would make me feel better.

That's interesting about the charge level. I believe the 2021 I was returning back to the host and I was running late for my flight. I was around 70 miles of range(not sure about percentage)

The state of charge for the 2018 might have had more. I didn’t think battery level affected then that much. I spent more time in the Plaid and took it on a 400 mile road trip and that thing never faded away.

Thanks for providing information on that thread. I’ll take a look and read it!
I came from a F80 M3. M3P is far better as a commuter car and probably way more than you need since you have fun cars already. Do you really need something that pulls hard above 80mph for a daily driver? You’re gonna pull from pretty much anything from a stop while barely trying and not worrying if the engine is warm. If I could’ve kept the M3 I would’ve gotten a LR and saved the $8k. Trust me though when you go EV for daily driving you won’t go back to ICE, for daily driving. Then pretty soon you’ll become more focused on driving efficiently than going balls out every chance you get. Definitely not as fun as a weekend ICE sports car, but again you’ll have both so there’s not really any dilemma as far as I can tell.
Makes sense. If I feel withdrawn, I can still pull it out. Perhaps I’m used to something that attracts attention like the Type R with its big spoiler and going to something with more mature looks. I drive fast and probably should be for low key anyway! Good to hear that someone with similar car likes the Model 3 just as much!
You asked a lot there. I’m not aware of any reason the 2021 M3P was more pokey than the older one. Should be a bit quicker if anything. Maybe the one you rented had a speed limit engaged?

I’ve had a P85D+ and now a M3P. Before that ice cars included R53 and R56 MINI, an E53 X5 and others going back to a 1969 240Z. Each one is different and fun. The M3P is just ruthlessly efficient. A little spartan, but crazy quick and tight in the corners. I’m driving for the fun of driving and not for the noise of the infernal combustion engine. The M3P does that extremely well. And energy cost is something stupid like 3 cents / mile 😁
Would speed limit engaged reduce power gradually to its set speed let’s say 90-100mph or would it pull strong to 100 and just cut off like a governor?
I experienced the former.

I apologize for the long post.

I came from daily driving an M2C and I think that the M3P is a much better daily driver but most definitely not nearly as fun, in its stock form, for those times you want to enjoy the car. But that is why you have the M3.

Also, I do not think the M3P is overkill, maybe not necessary, but if you can swing the difference, I think you will find it to be worth it.
I used to think Performace models with its subtle red underline and red brakes said enthusiast but I’m seeing more people with them they ordered it because the wait was shorter.

Another BMW M owner! Glad to hear you love the M3P!

I am a HPDE (track day) instructor with several groups (though I haven't tracked much in the last couple of years). My car history is full of highly modified BMWs, M cars, Golf Rs, etc. Full E85, JRZ suspension, Essex AP Racing BBK, type stuff. I was even involved in the design of several prominent track cooling parts for the BMW M2. I would definitely consider myself a hardcore car enthusiast.

I had exactly the same fears as you before going to the Tesla. You're going to miss the noise and smells if you're a car guy, but I can say that the only thing that lets me down dynamically on the car is the suspension (and by extension, the relatively numb steering). If you are are used to high performance cars you will want to move to coilovers and and solid bushings for the street, but everything else on the car has "good bones" for performance driving.

There is a member here that I used to hit the track with, and the times he is running in his Model 3 at Mid Ohio and NCM are significantly faster than I ever achieved with my highly modified BMW M2.

I have only owned the Model 3 for four days (my Tesla Safety Score is down to 51 for "aggressive turning, hard braking, unsafe following"), but I can already tell you that I will never go back to ICE for a daily driver. I will be replacing the entire suspension, but everything else is honestly great. One thing that is really nice coming from so many turbo cars is the responsiveness of the drivetrain - zero lag, it is like a really nice naturally aspirated engine in terms of instant response, but it has full power available immediately instead of low torque down low. The AWD grip and power delivery out of a corner gives you a whole new element of driving dynamics to play with that no ICE platform really can equal.

I will say I have noticed a few electronic nannies that are irritating to me, but only with the wheel turned at a sharp angle. For example, the computer will not let me get maximum power from a stop when the wheel is turned. That is annoying, but supposedly can be fixed with a MPP Partybox.
I’m convinced now! Thank you!

I was around 70 miles of range(not sure about percentage)

If the car had under 100 miles of range left, it absolutely would have neutered the acceleration some. That, or the weather, or how warm the battery was, etc. The 2018 and 2021 have the same specs (but the 2021 could have had a slightly larger battery, and by slightly I mean perhaps 5-6 kW).

I came from an Audi A4 with a K04 stage 2 upgrade, CAI, and coilovers. V8 Jag before that. After going EV, I’ll never go back… faster, more reliable, cheaper to operate and maintain, and … surprisingly, more fun to drive. I miss the sound of an angry turbo and BOV in a tunnel, but there is no comparison to electric. It’s just better.

If the car had under 100 miles of range left, it absolutely would have neutered the acceleration some. That, or the weather, or how warm the battery was, etc. The 2018 and 2021 have the same specs (but the 2021 could have had a slightly larger battery, and by slightly I mean perhaps 5-6 kW).
I also wonder if maybe the 2021 had been set to "chill" mode.

A better plan is to ditch the cranky X5M and buy a MY P.
‘I went from an X5 3.0D Msport to a MY LR , and `I don’t miss the X5 at all !

Perhaps I miss the fabulous split tailgate, but that’s it.

I'm a driving enthusiastic and former track day enthusiast, so I'll throw my 2c in. Never owned a BMW but I've driven a decent number over the years, various versions of E36, E36/7, E46, E60, E90, E92, F30 including some M cars (E36, E60, E90). Oh, and an i3. :)

First things first, I agree there's no better daily driver so long as you can charge at home, which it sounds like you can. Fast and fun, yet quiet and relaxing - nothing does both of those together better than a good sporty EV. And waking up to a charged car every morning, never having to stop to fill up in daily driving, is priceless. Plus no worrying about carefully warming up an engine or smelling the exhaust while it's cold. And you can chill out with your baby or dog or yourself napping with the A/C on but no engine fumes. The list goes on...suffice to say, I have zero desire to ever go back to gasoline/ICE for a daily driver. A good EV is way better in that role.

Performance vs LR...look at your car history. Get the Performance, this should be an easy choice for you. :) Yes the LR is surely quick enough, and yes they pull the same at highway+ speeds. But you'll probably want the P's Track Mode even if you never take it to the track. Track Mode is the only official way to dial back the nannies. If you want to put the power down coming out of turns/ramps, you need Track Mode. If you want the freedom to slide either or both ends of the car as you wish, you need Track Mode. Etc. All of its 3 major settings are useful for fast/hard driving on the street. I doubt you'll want to commute in Track Mode daily, but I think you'll be glad to have it available.

The comments about the stock suspension are on point though. It's soft and very poorly dampened from the factory. Taking freeway ramps like you're on rails? Not happening with the stock suspension. It's loose and unsettled with terrible mid-corner response. Let's not even talk about how out of control it can get trying to drive fast on twisty, bumpy, uneven back roads. But a good set of coilovers, plus front lower control arm bearings, completely transforms the handling and responsiveness. That will absolutely give you the locked in handling you want. Do those at a minimum. If you want and have budget you can also go to town upgrading all the other control arms with their accompanying bushings.

You will always feel the 4000 lbs weight, but you will also feel how low and centered and well-balanced the weight is, especially once you fix up the suspension. It's almost like a heavy but well balanced mid engine sports car. After upgrading the suspension, this thing honestly handles better than any 4 door ICE car I've ever driven.

You really don't need to lower this car btw! Stock height is probably better for handling over nasty real world roads anyways. The reason to go straight for coilovers is there aren't really any good standalone / fixed perch aftermarket dampers options for this car. All of the really good damper upgrades are coilover kits.

Side note: Apparently older Model 3's (LR or P, doesn't really matter) had stiffer suspension tuning from the factory. Not sure how much better, it's been too long since I drove one and it was a very brief casual drive. Newer ones, approximately 2021+, are quite soft though with really crappy damping.

Power drop off with low state of charge...yup it's a thing. From what I've read the new S holds power really well into lower states of charge, so it's not surprising you didn't notice this with your Plaid rental. (Plus it's starting with such an excess of power.) Hopefully that will trickle down to the 3 at some point. I don't think the 3's power loss at low SoC will be an issue for your daily driving though!

Last edited:
I used to think Performace models with its subtle red underline and red brakes said enthusiast but I’m seeing more people with them they ordered it because the wait was shorter.

Another BMW M owner! Glad to hear you love the M3P!

I’m convinced now! Thank you!
No problem!

I agree with @paradoxical that the only true letdown from a "car enthusiast," perspective, is indeed the suspension. Not that it is terrible, but it is not as sophisticated as that as the BMWs and other sports cars. But if you are the type to modify cars, like some of us in this thread, MPP coils and you just turned the M3P into an M3 in terms of handling.

Reactions: DaPlugg
Coming from a heavily modified MK7 GTI manual to a Model 3 LR here is my opinion.
I miss the GTI, it is funner to drive and the interior is more exciting to me than the Model 3. The forum and tuning community is very knowledgeable with a lot of people who do their own work and have real world experience when asking about advice and helping each other out.

With that said, I don't regret the Model 3 at all. It is faster off the line and just fast in general. The technology is leaps and bounds better and not having to pay for gas is great. The cons are the car is heavy and you can feel it in the turns. The stock tires on the LR are underwhelming in anything but normal driving and should be replaced with say a PS4S if you want more performance.

I ultimately went with the LR over the P because of cost at the time. Yes it will never be as fast as the P but you can get the Acceleration Boost to close the gap some, and with the extra money saved you can get your own Wheels/tires instead of having the same ones everyone else does (if that matters to you).

Reactions: Lephturn
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I browsed a lot on the solar section but this is my first time here in the automotive. I, like many people have felt the hit to my wallet from the increase of fuel cost. I currently have a F80 BMW M3 which I love and track weekend car, F85 X5M is my fun family hauler, and FK8 Civic Type R which serves as my fun commuter car. I never thought I would own an EV because I like hearing my engine and the part of driving is connecting with the car. That has changed, I'm spending $160 a week in gas cost to run the Civic Type R to work daily.

That's how I got into my first EV - the monthly cost of gas for commuting (~10 years ago, mind you) was greater than my lease payment on the first EV (i3).

I live 45 miles away from work so you can see why I'm considering the Tesla Model 3. [...] The Tesla would replace the Type R because that's my commuter car.

Tesla makes great commuter cars!

On the flip side I still have the, M3 and X5M for fun but most of my driving will be spent in the commuter car which is why I like it to be fun and somewhat playful.

Good call.
I kept my F80 as well, and still enjoy driving it way more than TM3P.

With either model, I'm afraid I will get the car and get bored with it.

Performance is more fun than LR, and for not much more money.
Yes, you will likely get bored with both, but it will take a bit longer with TM3P.
Interior creature comforts are equally sub-par in both. Plastic seats and steering wheel suck during the summers and the winters, but at least you can heat them in the winter.

I rented a 2018 Model 3 Performance from Turo and it felt amazing quick, I followed up with a 2021 Model 3 Performance a few months later and it didn't as feel as quick as the 2018. Is that a normal thing or did the 2021 get some update that made the power feel less punchy.

Power is positively correlated to the battery State of Charge (SoC).
That's something that is not publicly disclosed by Tesla.

~90% charging at home for me, L2 EVSE straight off the grid for $0.14/kWh. No solar panels, as those don't make financial sense in NJ.
~8% charging at work. For free, but the $$ amounts involved are hardly worth the bother.
~2% of the time I get ripped off when using Tesla's SuperCharging network.

HTH,
a

Last edited: