Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Hardcore Car Enthusiast Out Here? I Have Questions About Going to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I browsed a lot on the solar section but this is my first time here in the automotive. I, like many people have felt the hit to my wallet from the increase of fuel cost. I currently have a F80 BMW M3 which I love and track weekend car, F85 X5M is my fun family hauler, and FK8 Civic Type R which serves as my fun commuter car. I never thought I would own an EV because I like hearing my engine and the part of driving is connecting with the car. That has changed, I'm spending $160 a week in gas cost to run the Civic Type R to work daily. I live 45 miles away from work so you can see why I'm considering the Tesla Model 3. I shopped the BMW i4 the price gets up there once you start adding the driver assistance options, and creature comforts that the Tesla model 3 comes with. I figured with the BMW you're going to pay more more driving experience. Plus the main selling point for the Tesla is their exclusive supercharging network. If I'm low on a charge I can easily fine one and top off.

The Tesla would replace the Type R because that's my commuter car. On the flip side I still have the, M3 and X5M for fun but most of my driving will be spent in the commuter car which is why I like it to be fun and somewhat playful.

I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range because I'm trying to do the practical thing and not get Performance. 4.2 0-60 is nearly a second faster than the Type R but I go back and forth if I should upgrade to Performance, but I read that the Long Range and Performance are similar from a roll anyway. Tesla rep says you won't get out of a Long Range and think it's not enough
With either model, I'm afraid I will get the car and get bored with it. The Civic is fun because it's a manual and the gears keep me busy, it takes freeway onramps like it's on rails.

I did do CarMax 24 hour test drive with the BMW i3 REX but it that's all I needed to see didn't have enough range for me. I contacted Tesla dealer and was going to schedule a test drive back in late 2020 but called. My previous vehicles have been 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG with the 6.2 V8, Lexus IS-F, Mini Cooper JCW, Civic Si, and 3000GT VR-4. You can see I have a huge love and passion for all cars, and EV's have my curiosity but I'm still wondering what ownership is like after the first month or so then instant acceleration gets old.

I rented a 2018 Model 3 Performance from Turo and it felt amazing quick, I followed up with a 2021 Model 3 Performance a few months later and it didn't as feel as quick as the 2018. It fell on it's face after 80mph. (Still better than the i3 which ran out of oomph after 40mph) Is that a normal thing or did the 2021 get some update that made the power feel less punchy.
Also, I recently rented a Model S Plaid for a week and was comfortable with air suspension but it's too much money, the car is bigger than I would like and honestly, Plaid mode was crazy, I love my speed but it's more than I could use in real world other than a drag strip. You can see I keep dipping my toes in the water but I can't jump in.

What is charging like? My home is pre wired for EV but I have 4kw solar on the roof and 1 single Tesla Powerwall 2. Would it also be worth it to increase the size of my solar system to offset the cost of charging? I have a PG&E on EV2-A Rate because of the Powerwall

My last question: I typically get 15%- 20% of ceramic window tint on my cars for aesthetics, IR rejection, and privacy. How is tinting with white interior? Do the color of the seats still poke out through 15% tint?
Thanks for reading and hopefully some car people that converted over to EV can chime in. I know I will miss the manual of the Type R for sure!
Hardcore car enthusiast here. Feel free to DM to set up a phone chat.

Teslas are trash on the track but pure joy on the street and great low-cost commuters.

You shouldn’t need to upgrade your solar system. Not sure if car app takes into account my Tesla solar system but trailing 30-day cost of energy to drive my Tesla is like $30. Seriously.

Regarding tint, the white looks tan thru tint with whatever % ceramic film I have on there but it looks nice. Be careful about tinting back 2/3 roof glass. After moving from Dallas, TX to Denver, CO the sun exposure shattered my roof glass due to full tint. Now I have 2/3 tint on 2/3 back glass to keep that from happening again.

Teslas are trash on the track but pure joy on the street and great low-cost commuters.

You shouldn’t need to upgrade your solar system. Not sure if car app takes into account my Tesla solar system but trailing 30-day cost of energy to drive my Tesla is like $30. Seriously.

Regarding tint, the white looks tan thru tint with whatever % ceramic film I have on there but it looks nice. Be careful about tinting back 2/3 roof glass. After moving from Dallas, TX to Denver, CO the sun exposure shattered my roof glass due to full tint. Now I have 2/3 tint on 2/3 back glass to keep that from happening again.

How did the tint cause this? I live at about 6300’ in Utah (extremely sunny) and so far this hasn’t happened. Just curious as to how the tint caused this?

How did the tint cause this? I live at about 6300’ in Utah (extremely sunny) and so far this hasn’t happened. Just curious as to how the tint caused this?
I’m not a material scientist but my understanding is that heat gets trapped and causes the “glass” to shatter because it cannot dissipate. No reputable tint shops here in mile high sunny city will tint full “glass” (it isn’t actually glass, but rather a synthetic blend of materials).

Reactions: phishphan
I’m not a material scientist but my understanding is that heat gets trapped and causes the “glass” to shatter because it cannot dissipate. No reputable tint shops here in mile high sunny city will tint full “glass” (it isn’t actually glass, but rather a synthetic blend of materials).

Is it wrong to think that the cabin overheat protection will prevent this?

Overheat protection didn't save my "glass" since it shattered literally as I was driving home from downtown after just a few minutes of driving post parking garage exit. Only the tint film kept the shards from caving into the vehicle.
Oh boy. Hadn’t heard about all of this before. I assume not covered under warranty as the glass was altered…

Oh boy. Hadn’t heard about all of this before. I assume not covered under warranty as the glass was altered…
It was not covered under Tesla warranty but was covered under glass policy from my insurance. $0 deductible. I’ve had the back 2/3 roof glass replaced maybe 4 times now (long stories). Only paid once out of pocket. Once the glass from Tesla was defective so they replaced for free.

Not certain what tint you are going with but every one of our vehicles has full tint on it. Both Porsches, Tacoma, and M3LR and none of them have experienced any issues with full window, windshield, panoramic roof, or the full rear window on the Tesla. What type of tint did you have on your Tesla when the window shattered? You mentioned in another post that there were "shards"....I hope there weren't shards!

I live at 7500' here in Colorado and have not had this happen. MANY of our friends have their entire Tesla's tinted for years and have never once had any issues.

Reactions: phishphan
I haven't tracked anything since moving and don't currently own anything to track. My only 2 cars presently are a 2018 M3P (september delivery) and a 2018 Audi SQ5.

The glass issue was like 3 years ago so I'm over it but will still complain about it on a public forum. Overall, compared to the other nice cars I've owned, not happy with the Tesla other than the quickness, low cost of ownership (save for purchase price) and easy/cheap maintenance. I'm unhappy to the point where I'll probably wait for Audi to up their EV game rather than buying a plaid. In fact, I canceled my plaid reservation after all the issue they were silently dealing with on the first few deliveries.

I could be mistaken, but I thought the rear glass issues were mostly believed to be manufacturing defects / installed stress related failures rather than tint issues? Other than a tint installer trying to shift blame (maybe rightly so) I didn't think there were notable issues from across the community with tinting the whole rear window. It doesn't seem very reasonable to me that a tint causes so much heat buildup that it causes a piece of glass to spontaneously shatter, but I don't know (*shrug emoji* ... however your do that).

Sorry, I don't buy that it is possible without a supercharger onsite or very nearby. Driving from Dallas to Denver was hell and RV charging that I was forced to do in the middle of nowhere New Mexico was like a 4-6 hour thing, which is a hella long lunch break.

Sorry, I don't buy that it is possible without a supercharger onsite or very nearby. Driving from Dallas to Denver was hell and RV charging that I was forced to do in the middle of nowhere New Mexico was like a 4-6 hour thing, which is a hella long lunch break.

Did you do Dallas - Denver before the Clayton, NM Supercharger went in? ABRP shows that run to be a piece of cake now.

Reactions: Lephturn
Sorry, I don't buy that it is possible without a supercharger onsite or very nearby.

You don't need to "buy" it - people do it alla time, whether you "buy" it or not.

Driving from Dallas to Denver was hell and RV charging that I was forced to do in the middle of nowhere New Mexico was like a 4-6 hour thing, which is a hella long lunch break.

Bummer. Sounds like poor planning, maybe...

Last edited:
Did you do Dallas - Denver before the Clayton, NM Supercharger went in? ABRP shows that run to be a piece of cake now.
Yes, August of 2019. In hindsight I should have gone north thru OK and KS then west across CO. Going across west TX was a terrible idea bc (despite was Tesla's built-in route planning said I could do) there was no way I could make it thru the electric desert that is west TX.