Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone find a way to cover their wall charger that is mounted outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wall charger is on the outside of my garage (because I unfortunately have to park outside) and I'm trying to find a way to cover it when not in use. Like a small BBQ cover with a cinch strap or elastic or something. I've tried googling ideas but haven't come up with anything yet. I know it's rated for outdoor use, but I figure I can get even more life out of it with protecting it from the sun and moisture.
Screenshot_20220815-164423_Snapchat.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of a wood box or an awning. Box would have to be big enough to allow draping the cord over the wall connector, where the awning doesn't have that problem but might not protect the WC as well.

I have the same issue as the OP. No garage. My TWC is mounted on the outside of a shed 100' from the house. I think some sort of awning is all that is needed. If you're not too worried about aesthetics, a piece of shower curtain material - the flexible cottony type - draped down over the TWC would work. That's what I use for the window-entrance for my ham radio antennas into the house.

With a Tesla parked outdoors, I'm frankly more concerned with the charge port on the car itself. I'm in the habit of trying not to have the car plugged in during periods of rain.

My Wall Connector has been outside in sun, heavy storms and tons of snow. It’s in the same condition as the day I installed it. It’s designed for outdoors and is well engineered. I wouldn't worry about it. The exterior IS glass, so while it is a very strong glass, that’s the only thing to be careful of.