Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever have a grounding stud replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I was having phantom front open errors with my car and also getting coolant low messages. I took my car in to the service center and the PDF doc says: Correction: Diagnosis Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check.

They seem to have replaced both the Front Rail LH and RH Grounding Stud.

Anyone have this issue? Would this be the source of these problems? I am concerned that I may get these errors reoccurring as they were intermittent.

Yes, this is a common problem caused by corroded grounding studs. This fix should take care of these issues. These studs are easy to inspect, so my recommendation is to have them inspected periodically (or inspect them yourself if you are handy enough).

These studs get corroded in environments that have salted roads during the winter.

I am in Toronto where we have lots of salt thrown on the road and my car has been on the road for almost 8 years. So I guess this isn't surprising, but I hope that this fixes my issues as I don't want to have to go back in a few weeks with a recurrence of the warnings.

I got the phantom frunk open errors, plus some false alarm sounds, when my car was 7 years old. This was resolved by replacing the passenger side ground nut, which was corroded enough to fall right out of the car when handled. I haven't needed to replace the driver's side yet, and I have that inspected when having other routine maintenance performed on my car (by an independent mechanic, not Tesla).

Reactions: wayner