Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone cancel their model x delivery? Can it be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a model S signature that I have had for almost 4 years. I had the roadster before that. For the last 3 years, I have had almost no issues - certainly no significant issues - with my model S. It's the most flawless, hassle free car I have ever owned. I ordered a model X in 2013 and it has been delivered to my local service center. It is at the Decatur, GA service center being inspected etc prior to me getting it. They already have had to order some parts to fix something they found after getting it. The service center and is about 2 miles from my house.

I am actually starting to question whether I should have just ordered a new model S since I throw my bikes in the back quite frequently and drive far (when close I put on my bike rack). I almost never "need" more than 5 seats. Mainly, I am concerned about all the issues that keep coming up on the model X like the doors, the fit/finish and the crashing. I want my car to be reliable and I don't want to deal with issues constantly. But, I want the newer stuff like auto driving and dual drive that my sig model S does not have. I am typically and extremely early adopter and just deal with issues but I am not sure the model X offers enough "new" to make it worth the hassle.

Have any of you cancelled/changed your model X order late in the game like this? Are the issues that I am constantly reading about being over blown or do a high percentage of MX owners have these big issues?

The X is 1000x a better car. The S has more room for cargo but other than that- the x is better. Ignore the issues that you have seen with the early builds. While regrettable, they finally have their act together. The X is a great car. Ive had virtually no issues with mine.

I own both the X and the S and find the X to be vastly superior.

Reactions: madodel and Plinck
For that age S and how close you live to the SC it would be a no-brainer for me, do the X. After the initial bumps are worked out it will be the best car you've ever owned (from talking to a number of owners that have reached that level already).

My Sig X was my first Tesla. It has been a near perfect experience for the 4 months I've had it. It has been back to the service center 3 times. First time to fix a windshield wiper blade, then for the 3rd row seat recall then a week ago for a broken charge port door. The last two times they gave me a loaner Model S. Beautiful car that drives similar to the X but getting in and out was an issue for me. I like the high seat level , the panoramic windshield, and those gorgeous doors. I love walking into my garage and my X greets me and opens the driver side door for me.

If you love your Model S and are comfortable with that then maybe you should stick with that, but for me there is no other vehicle like the Model X. I am hoping that in time they have Model X loaners to help me through those short periods I have to do without my X.

I currently have a model S signature that I have had for almost 4 years. I had the roadster before that. For the last 3 years, I have had almost no issues - certainly no significant issues - with my model S. It's the most flawless, hassle free car I have ever owned. I ordered a model X in 2013 and it has been delivered to my local service center. It is at the Decatur, GA service center being inspected etc prior to me getting it. They already have had to order some parts to fix something they found after getting it. The service center and is about 2 miles from my house.

I am actually starting to question whether I should have just ordered a new model S since I throw my bikes in the back quite frequently and drive far (when close I put on my bike rack). I almost never "need" more than 5 seats. Mainly, I am concerned about all the issues that keep coming up on the model X like the doors, the fit/finish and the crashing. I want my car to be reliable and I don't want to deal with issues constantly. But, I want the newer stuff like auto driving and dual drive that my sig model S does not have. I am typically and extremely early adopter and just deal with issues but I am not sure the model X offers enough "new" to make it worth the hassle.

Have any of you cancelled/changed your model X order late in the game like this? Are the issues that I am constantly reading about being over blown or do a high percentage of MX owners have these big issues?
Interesting that you have had roadster and sig model S and yet can't find prior posts.

I think the question is why would you think you need an X rather than an S? I get that some people have little kids and the X purportedly is great for dealing with kids in car seats and the like. I've been in a few Xs now and just don't see the benefit (I have no little kids and I have a pickup for towing/hauling). Otherwise, why ignore a proven winner like the S?

I have a P85D and based on what you're saying, you would probably be well served by a new P90D. It'll have all the new features (except for stuff like biohazard filtering), you can put a roof rack on it for your bikes (or use the hatch...my road and mt bikes fit in my P85D's hatch just fine) and you'll have the driving dynamics of a sedan rather than an SUV. And I've never had a problem with the doors on my P85D...

I think the question is why would you think you need an X rather than an S? I get that some people have little kids and the X purportedly is great for dealing with kids in car seats and the like. I've been in a few Xs now and just don't see the benefit (I have no little kids and I have a pickup for towing/hauling). Otherwise, why ignore a proven winner like the S?

I have a P85D and based on what you're saying, you would probably be well served by a new P90D. It'll have all the new features (except for stuff like biohazard filtering), you can put a roof rack on it for your bikes (or use the hatch...my road and mt bikes fit in my P85D's hatch just fine) and you'll have the driving dynamics of a sedan rather than an SUV. And I've never had a problem with the doors on my P85D...

Actually, the refreshed Model S does have Biohazard Defense mode in the Premium package.

Our X is because with 4 kids all still in car seats or boosters an S just wouldn't be reasonable. And we tow periodically. If you don't have hard requirements like that, it can be a much harder toss up between the two. My buddy waffled back and forth for like a month before deciding on an S. Mostly he was nervous about the FWDs, and general reliability of a new model.

When I placed my order 3 years ago, I thought I needed the extra seats since I was often stuck needing one more for the extra kid. Now my kids are older and my taxi driver status is less since two of them drive. I just let it all ride and didn't think about it much until recently. I decided I will take delivery and see how it goes since after I saw it, I liked it. I am sure I will be happy with it, and if I am not, I will sell it after a while and get the model S 100D when it comes out. I also have a boat and two jet skis and although I have never towed them, I thought it might be something I would do at some point.

I've had a lot of experience of model X issues. Our X probably holds the record for the most time since production undergoing warranty repairs + recall + pre-delivery repairs.
Yet I've seen that those problems are getting fixed on old Xs and don't happen on the new cars.
Sure the new ones aren't perfect... but we are sufficiently confident to have Tesla replace our old X with a new X.

As far as I can tell most bicycle owners prefer using a hitch, and the X works with that.
Sitting higher, towing, more internal car width (front row with cup holders and middle row for general seating) and white air conditioned comfortable seats with rear seat AC are good reasons to go for the X.
For us the S advantages are range, skis on roof.
Falcon Wing Doors... let's say they have their ups and downs.

Reactions: ModelX and madodel