Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought a Model S and used their referral credit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told at the Fremont Service Center that credits can only be used for service and accessories.

Accessories are things that go in the car or interact with it, like chargers, chains, mats, etc. The luggage counts because it's designed to go in the footwell or frunk. Clothes and, I suspect, bags, don't count.

On the opposite side of this equation, Tesla employees get a discount on clothes and swag but not on auto accessories.

I was told at the Fremont Service Center that credits can only be used for service and accessories.

Accessories are things that go in the car or interact with it, like chargers, chains, mats, etc. The luggage counts because it's designed to go in the footwell or frunk. Clothes and, I suspect, bags, don't count.

On the opposite side of this equation, Tesla employees get a discount on clothes and swag but not on auto accessories.
I successfully used most of the remainder of my credit at my service center for 2 Moab leather weekender bags. Not sure if those count as "luggage" or "bags". :wink:

If someone could get an official statement from a Tesla Official stating that ALL Credits can be used as soon as shown in "mytesla" And / Or that they can be applied on Model X I would be very relieved and thankfull.

With regard to using credits to purchase a Model X, I elevated the issue to a guy named Ian who is the VP of Sales for North America. We argued at length about the language as I interpreted it like others to mean the credit could not be used for the $5K reservation, but could be used to buy a car, presumably the Model X. He would not budge.

The credit can only be used to buy one car, the Model S. Alas, I am buying a Model S70D to spend my $17K of referral credit. I argued that there aren't enough options or extended warranties to spend the credit any other way. When they raised the ceiling above 10, it caused a bunch of influencers to accumulate credit that could only be spent in one way . . . buying another Model S. Yet, we qualified for the program by owning a Model S so why would we want another one?

I wish Tesla would do the right thing as there are a bunch of influencers who have too much credit to spend any other way than a new car. We also have a great discount on a founders Model X so will probably get one of those too. So by my logic the influencers with more than 10 referrals will be buying both a Model S and Model X in short order to keep their currently-owned Model S company.

Alas, we are going from one Tesla to three, which makes no sense. But, Ian was adamant. Silly to piss off your "salesforce" when it is no cost difference to Tesla. If you are going to going to have short and sweet rules for something like this, any ambiguity should favor the influencer for such a stellar brand like Tesla.

Last edited:
With regard to using credits to purchase a Model X, I elevated the issue to a guy named Ian who is the VP of Sale for North America. We argued at length about the language as I interpreted it like others to mean the credit could not be used for the $5K reservation, but could be used to buy a car, presumably the Model X. He would not budge.

Maybe time to escalate it over social media. Tweet Elon?

I Sold my model S to... and bought another one to use my credits and sell that one before the X arrives...
Sadly, I was not able to use all my credits since not all cars have been delivered yet so.... (their point of View: "as soon as the order is non refundable" as delivered and not as in "the deposit is..." ) but I guess that is different for each country...
If I cannot use them on the X I will... have to buy another S in Februari / March, just to use my credits...
I'm happy though that I do not have to buy 24 Tesla's though, because that was their "starting bid".... (only one per car...)

On the positive side... I have been able to sell (I know all the buyers, or at least someone I know knows them) 24 Tesla's during the first round, and close to 20 in this round, so I'm confident I will be able to sell my own Tesla and the next one as well (I cannot afford to own more than one.....:redface:)... the downside is that it has cost me energy to come to this point and I could have spent that on ..... selling more Tesla's... so it costs them more than it costs me.

But... I would really love it if they could just say: we sent you an email end of October (you all got that mail to I guess) stating that you can use the credits to purchase a car.... (without referring to any restrictions) so we have not been clear about it and therefore we will be kind and allow you to use it on the X...

I Sold my model S to... and bought another one to use my credits and sell that one before the X arrives...
Sadly, I was not able to use all my credits since not all cars have been delivered yet so.... (their point of View: "as soon as the order is non refundable" as delivered and not as in "the deposit is..." ) but I guess that is different for each country...
If I cannot use them on the X I will... have to buy another S in Februari / March, just to use my credits...
I'm happy though that I do not have to buy 24 Tesla's though, because that was their "starting bid".... (only one per car...)

On the positive side... I have been able to sell (I know all the buyers, or at least someone I know knows them) 24 Tesla's during the first round, and close to 20 in this round, so I'm confident I will be able to sell my own Tesla and the next one as well (I cannot afford to own more than one.....:redface:)... the downside is that it has cost me energy to come to this point and I could have spent that on ..... selling more Tesla's... so it costs them more than it costs me.

But... I would really love it if they could just say: we sent you an email end of October (you all got that mail to I guess) stating that you can use the credits to purchase a car.... (without referring to any restrictions) so we have not been clear about it and therefore we will be kind and allow you to use it on the X...

Why would Tesla want to piss off their influencer community? I was happy with one Tesla for my wife, but am selling my RAV4 EV to get two. No need for 3 so will probably sell the one we like the least when the Model X arrives.

I wonder if someone would like to buy a Founders Edition Model X for a nice premium? Collectors please PM me.

I understand the emotion you're showing. Sometimes I get into the same "state of mind"...:mad:

Still, I am very positive about the company, the philosophy behind it and the cars itself.:cool:
The troubles we're aving are because of difference of opinion about interpretation of "the rules".

I hope everything will be clarified in the upcoming period.
I still have the escape of buying another model S to use the credits, and if I am not successful in selling that one with limited loss I can always sell the Founders Edition... but that is not my favorite scenario... as the X is "my dream car"...

Update...

Sold the model S I purchased in December with the intention to use the credits on (only 2K loss so reasonably happy).... bought a demo 70D (2 days before the next referral round so missed out on that one) with delivery end march (then 22 of the 23 cars will be delivered) to use the credits and will then sell that one (hopefully break even) to make room for the Model X FE that I expect to configure in the next month and will then probably arrive in Q3....

Strange how most of the negative vibes disappear as soon as there is a nice prospect such as driving something amazing as the model X soon....:biggrin:

Sold the model S I purchased in December with the intention to use the credits on (only 2K loss so reasonably happy).... bought a demo 70D (2 days before the next referral round so missed out on that one) with delivery end march (then 22 of the 23 cars will be delivered) to use the credits and will then sell that one (hopefully break even) to make room for the Model X FE that I expect to configure in the next month and will then probably arrive in Q3....

I bought a Model S70D to consume the credits. Our Model X is stuck in some final inspection limbo for almost two months now, but when that arrives my wife will have to choose between that and her present S85D. If she goes with the Model X, we will sell the S70D for hopefully no loss. If she doesn't like the Model X, we will sell that for a hopeful profit. But, the value of an early Model X depreciates with every day we wait for it to pass final inspection to be shipped.

All said, I should be able to get my referral credit without any loss, just a major PITA for a pretty busy person like myself.