Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 3rd party wall chargers for Tesla + other EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Thinking to add outdoor wall charger at the cottage to charge my Model S, but would like to see if anything is available that would charge other EVs. Anyone aware of some 3rd party wall chargers I can use, or am I stuck with Tesla charger only?

thanks

Best quality and best price are not likely to happen with the same device. Leviton makes several J1772 wall EVSEs from 16 amps to 40 amps. They are not inexpensive.

EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (the charger is built into the car)

Hi All,

Thinking to add outdoor wall charger at the cottage to charge my Model S, but would like to see if anything is available that would charge other EVs. Anyone aware of some 3rd party wall chargers I can use, or am I stuck with Tesla charger only?

thanks

There are a number of J1772 L2 on the market.
I use a Clipper Creek HCS-50 (40A capable) at the Cottage to charge my july 2017
build ms100d (onboard 72A charger)
Their webstore shows a buyers guide for evses and various accesories
They are not inexpensive and you will need an electrician to install.
Their Web presence unfortunately does not mention Canadian Rebates & incentives.

Buyer's Guide to Home EV Charging Stations

The most robust J1772 is the JuiceBox Pro 40. It will record power use and can be time programmed via phone for night charging.
But the cable is REALLY heavy. Like a freaking DCFC. Everything else is sweet.

We use 2 Juice box 40 pros. The nice thing about them, is that they will load share multiple units, on one 220v outlet. So you can have 2 cars charging at the same time. All usage is recorded online.

Reactions: CrayZ1
I have a ChargePoint At my condo due to a deal from my utility. Got a $200 Credit and $5 per month discount. It’s WiFi and the utility can reduce power during high demand but I can override if necessary. I have An extra adapter I leave there. I’ve helped a few friends with non Tesla EVs in a pinch.

Hi All, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! I originally thought I can get some J1772 charger that would be more economical compared to tesla charger. But for example Clipper Creek HCS-50 costs around 830$cad vs Tesla wall charger 635$cad plus J1772 adapter for other cars would be around 200$cad.
So I would agree with CraZ1 here, seems like Tesla+adapter setup would be roughly same money and I would be able to charge at 60-70 amps, and all the other Tesla wannabes at 40 :)

We do not have any wall charger rebates in Ontario as far as I know, so ultimately looks like Tesla+adapter is the best!

Hi All, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! I originally thought I can get some J1772 charger that would be more economical compared to tesla charger. But for example Clipper Creek HCS-50 costs around 830$cad vs Tesla wall charger 635$cad plus J1772 adapter for other cars would be around 200$cad.
So I would agree with CraZ1 here, seems like Tesla+adapter setup would be roughly same money and I would be able to charge at 60-70 amps, and all the other Tesla wannabes at 40 :)

We do not have any wall charger rebates in Ontario as far as I know, so ultimately looks like Tesla+adapter is the best!

Hmmm. Depends what Tesla you are buying. Any new Tesla will charge at max 48 amps. A model 3 SR plus will charge at max 32 amps. There are some older model Ss which could charge at 72 or 80 amps

That is what I found out when I researched them. Tesla is not concerned with profit on their connectors, and you buy directly from the manufacturer whereas others require significant markup in order to stay in business and then they probably have distributors, retailers who jack up the price even more. In the end I just put in a NEMA 14-30 plug in my garage use a mobile connector and 6kW does me just fine. That would be the most economical route if you don't need to fast charge at home. You could even step it to a 14-50 plug and get 8kW.

If you have the time you may want to consider:

A.Gen2 HPWC 80A capable is going away to be replaced by Gen3 may be 48A ???

B.Rebate 'sources'
1. Federal Goverment ----Ottawa
2. Ontario Goverment-------Toronto
3. Canadian EVSE Manufaturer--------????
4. Electricity Provider ----Ontario Hydro, got to increase base load on Pickering CANDU

I use OpenEVSE since 2015. If you are so inclined, it comes in a kit form that you can assemble, which is how I built mine. I think they can come assembled or partially assembled now. New versions can do wifi, etc. Mine can charge at greater than 40A with the appropriate wiring. I set mine to charge at 24A and charges fine at night. Saves about $200 and more vs. other chargers. Used it on my Volt and now my MS.

Actually we do have the ESR rebate about $200. Just bought a 2nd charger this week.

1. JuiceBox PRO 40 Plug, JuiceBox PRO 40 Plug, 879.00$ x 1 = 879.00 $

Quantity: 1

Items price: 879.00 $

ESR rebate: -219.75 $ (-25.00%)

Total price: 659.25 $

Tax HST (13.00%): 85.70 $

Order sum: 744.95 $