Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sentry success story: Car keyed, women handcuffed and charged with vandalism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those scratches ran deep, there is no way to get down to the metal without applying solid pressure. This is the second case I've heard of now with Sentry Mode identifying an individual doing damage. In the first case, it was a passenger of an adjacent car, and as far as I understood from the owner (another user on this forum), the police filed the reports and they're going after the driver's insurance. Whether or not she had criminal intent, he is likely still going to be covered - the only difference here is whether or not he wants to press additional charges.

She was not in operation of her vehicle at the time she caused the "loss". Her insurance company won't touch this with a 50 ft. pole.

Fair enough but she still would be civilly liable. She’d just have to pay out of pocket.

So if you open the door of your vehicle and damage another car that isn’t covered by your insurance since you were not operating your vehicle? Never been in that situation so I honestly don’t know. She was loading the vehicle so I’d assume it is an analgous situation but maybe that is not something covered by auto insurance. I am definitely not an expert.

Reactions: lklundin
Fair enough but she still would be civilly liable. She’d just have to pay out of pocket.

So if you open the door of your vehicle and damage another car that isn’t covered by your insurance since you were not operating your vehicle? Never been in that situation so I honestly don’t know. She was loading the vehicle so I’d assume it is an analgous situation but maybe that is not something covered by auto insurance. I am definitely not an expert.

that would be covered, because the vehicle would have actually caused the issue. For insurance purposes, a set of keys is not considered the car.

Reactions: MrMassTransit
Vandalism is covered under comprehensive (at least in MA) along with all non collision damage e.g. hail, fire, theft, animal.

No words for that kind of person

DONT feed the trolls

I am in Illinois and 3 years ago had to street park my 2012 Camry hybrid for one night. I live in a northwest suburb of Chicago with little crime.
That night my car windows were busted out. It end up being $2200 damage and I had to pay our deductible.
3 other cars in the area were also vandalized that night. Shitty people out having “fun”. Everyone from the tow truck driver to body shop were pissed off. I heard so many times “who does this?”

FYI it was over 2 grand because they also caused some body damage.

RkO20wB.jpg

Xinig2b.jpg

I've all kinds of weird stuff happen to my cars - keyed, vandalized, etc. - but the most annoying (and admittedly a little funny) was something that happened to my motorcycle. I had it parked with my helmet locked to it (used to be common back in the day when all bikes seemingly had a special locking mechanism to put your helmet rings through), and someone took a very large blueberry muffin and crumbled it into a few thousand pieces into my helmet. Fortunately it was dry and 99% of fell out when I shook it and turned it over, but I still like WTF why would someone even think of doing that?! People is dumb.

That was... crumby.

• Funny
Reactions: MTSN and Runt8