Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying.... don't add a feature if it doesn't work perfectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is about the browser. Regardless if you use it or not, don't add a feature if it doesn't properly work.

What's the point of having a browser that is glitchy, slow, and takes forever to use. If its the processor, then dont add it to begin with. If it's bad coding, dont add it.

I feel like Tesla really dropped the ball on this one feature that really doesnt even need to be in teslas, but since it's there, they should have done it right...

This is about the browser. Regardless if you use it or not, don't add a feature if it doesn't properly work.

What's the point of having a browser that is glitchy, slow, and takes forever to use. If its the processor, then dont add it to begin with. If it's bad coding, dont add it.

I feel like Tesla really dropped the ball on this one feature that really doesnt even need to be in teslas, but since it's there, they should have done it right...

Ever had to use a BlackBerry phone with its first browser? :mad: Talk about SAD. Room for improvement with Tesla for sure, but to just go without.. nope. Maybe they will let us download our browser of choice with OTA update 100. o_O

Ever had to use a BlackBerry phone with its first browser? :mad: Talk about SAD. Room for improvement with Tesla for sure, but to just go without.. nope. Maybe they will let us download our browser of choice with OTA update 100. o_O
I've seen some bad analogies on here, but you sir win the cake.

You basically compared Tesla to a company that is on the brink of bankruptcy or to be chopped up. Doesn't make me feel all warm inside waiting for an expensive car with no discounts at the end of a year and probably just missing out on latest hardware.

I've seen some bad analogies on here, but you sir win the cake.

You basically compared Tesla to a company that is on the brink of bankruptcy or to be chopped up. Doesn't make me feel all warm inside waiting for an expensive car with no discounts at the end of a year and probably just missing out on latest hardware.

What are you talking about? You obviously missed the point. I wasn't comparing Tesla to anybody, especially to BB. The BB browser was a big piece of CRAP. At least Tesla provides one that works, hence MY POINT. I think your cake was meant for someone ELSE.

I think a better analogy would be to the iPhone when it first came out. It was a paradigm shift, designed from the ground up. Initially, it was missing basic features found in almost all smart phones (MMS, cut-n-paste, etc.) but eventually they added those features as time went on.

what do you use it on that a phone's browser can't handle?

i love the large screen, but pulling up any websites is like pulling teeth. images take forever to load, and scrolling the page is near impossible.
Pretty much any website that I use on my laptop except email. That is the only thing I use my phone for unless I have nothing else to use.
Mainly news electrek.co, teslarati.com, teslawind.com, chargehub.com and others. It is slow but I've adjusted by waiting for it to catch up before doing something else. Big screen and big keyboard makes it worth it. I imagine Tesla doesn't want it to be too good or browsing and driving could become a problem.

• Funny
Reactions: huntjo
Here is my opinion of the browser:

It was a really cool thing 4-5 years ago when that huge screen was new. I remember going into a tesla showroom in 2013 and the browser was specifically shown off as an amazing feature. "Wow! A car with a browser." Today, there are many other things to show off and the browser likely doesn't make it on most people's top features list. Take it away and all of us owners will go nuts. The press will also pounce with stories like "Tesla Degrades Cars". Option 2: Improve it- 1) data use goes way up 2) the press pounce the second anyone crashes while using it. Option 3) Do nothing. Us owners complain a little bit. From a business perspective option 3 seems to be the most logical choice. Unfortunate.

Reactions: GSP
Pretty much any website that I use on my laptop except email. That is the only thing I use my phone for unless I have nothing else to use.
Mainly news electrek.co, teslarati.com, teslawind.com, chargehub.com and others. It is slow but I've adjusted by waiting for it to catch up before doing something else. Big screen and big keyboard makes it worth it. I imagine Tesla doesn't want it to be too good or browsing and driving could become a problem.

Hmmm. I have used Weather.com, Imgur, TMC, and read the news on the web browser without fuss. However, I still find my phone faster and easier to use, so I just use that 99% of the time.

Ha! I use the browser every day. Tesla-Waze is key to my nav. I have the nav app up to show me traffic and nav info. Tesla Waze in the adjacent screen tells me where the cops are, construction info, crash hazards, etc. It is always on and refreshes with the speed of the available 3G signal. I have come to rely on it and has saved my butt many times.
So on the thread topic, the browser works great for this app an everyone should be using it!

• Helpful
Reactions: mspohr and GSP
It would be nice if the browser,
via LTE, supported Tesla's own Design Studio so that a prospective buyer could configure their own car from the passenger seat - and then perhaps even email themselves a saved config.

It doesn't, and that's a significant miss - especially 4 years on.

The browser is slow and has issues but I use it daily and since I'm driving I'm in no real rush to have it load fast. It's not like I'm sitting at a desk waiting for it. I do like that I can watch my home and cabin's surveillance cameras with it. I strongly disagree that it shouldn't be added unless it works perfectly but it would nice to get what I thought we would get long ago...

Google and Tesla combine forces to bring Chrome inside the Model S by end of 2014

Most of the slowness with the browser isn't network related, it's the poor overloaded Tegra 3 processor. I suspect Tesla's development team concluded that it's pointless to try and port a newer version of webkit that would use even more system resources than the existing old version. So it would be more compatible, but slower. That said, if you find the browser unacceptable, simply don't use it. A lot of us use (suffer) with it every day anyway, and it's great to have even in it's current state.

Tesla would have been better off building the touchscreen like a laptop than as a portable device. If they had built it around an intel i5 or i7 single board computer, it could be easily upgraded later by just replacing the CPU board. The Tegra is better at graphics, but is slow compared to the Intel and AMD descendants of the 8086 for general computing. The OS is Linux, which is available for a wide variety of processors.

The browser is faster when connected via wifi and I have found it's faster than a cell phone browser on 4G. I've also found the browser appears to be very slow on some sites and OK on others. It may have some trouble running some types of scripts.